Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-15-11, 01:57 PM   #26
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I don't think bassfisher posts here super often, so I'll throw my two cents in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll View Post
Bassfisher,what is the longest rod you can fit in the rod locker? also just wondering why you don't see very many avalanches for sale,are they a quality boat or did they just not make very many, Can't find to much online about them? thanks carroll out.
The rod lockers are not super long. You can put a 7-foot rod in them if you are careful. you can put a 7-1/2-foot rod in them if you are willing to take the risk. I would recommend rod socks or jackets, as the forward ends of the rod lockers are not sealed...the rod ends up curving up under the snout of the boat, and there are some sharp aluminum edges up there.

It is not a Cadillac by any means...on the outside it is an attractive boat, but they didn't spend a lot of extra money below decks. The foam padding on the bottom of the compartment doors likes to fall off. However, it it a solid boat, that is very wide and stable. They did not make many, largely due to them being unprofitable for Tracker. The hull is press-formed aluminum, and was very expensive to produce.

Quote:
also bassfisher, what would be a good price for a 03 DC 135 merc opti. so i can see if i'm getting a decent deal or not. thanks carroll out.
IMHO, you could probably pick up an '03 DC 135 Opti-equipped Avalanche for around $10,000-$12,000...depending on condition and motor hours (and owner desperation) of course. I paid $13,000 for my '05 SC 115 Opti Avalanche about 3 years ago. I think that was maybe just a little below average, not a steal, but a good deal. By the way, don't go less than a 135hp, and a 150 or 175 would definitely be better. Of course, then you're talking $15,000+. My 115 is just a tad too small.
Old 12-15-11, 07:31 PM   #27
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
IMHO
Bryce, there isn't a HUMBLE opinion in your body. Anywhere.

The Avalanche was a good idea, but it was expensive - on a par with similiar sized 'glass bass boats when it came time to write the check. When faced with similiar price - the 'glass IMHO ( ) is a better option. As with many Nitro products, when it came to hanging an outboard on the transom many were underpowered. Bryce offers good advice to go AT LEAST with the 135 HP and 150 HP would be better. The Avalanche is a wide boat with a beam greater than many comparably sized 'glass boats and they push a lot of water, but they are pretty stable at rest unlike many aluminium boats. I looked at them when I bought my first bass boat, but chose a 'glass boat, which I thought the better choice for me, when paying very similiar money. The major advantage of the Avalanche, compared to 'glasss, is it's lighter weight which makes it easier to tow and on gas - both for the boat and the tow vehicle.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-11, 09:41 PM   #28
nofearengineer

Wow, and all this time I thought it meant "in my hot orifice."
Old 12-15-11, 11:24 PM   #29
bassboogieman

I think I need immediate cabin reassignment.
Old 12-16-11, 07:53 AM   #30
keithdog

Beautiful rig ya got there man! Sounds like she has all the toys a guy would want for a fun day on the water.
Old 12-17-11, 07:29 PM   #31
carroll
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey thanks guys for the info on the 03 avalanche, will be getting it in april, it has a 135 opti on a 6" jack plate with prop . sounds like i'm getting a good deal then because this guy is the original owner low hrs on motor, and boat is in immaculate shape, plus comes with alot of other stuff for 11,800. this thing looks like it just came off the showroom floor. he has all the papers from purchase older guy that takes care of everything he has you know. but thanks again for info. still trying to find out more about the ladder on the back of bassfishers.
carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-11, 09:26 PM   #32
bassboogieman

Since you have a jackplate look at the E-ladder. It will mount to your JP and eliminated the need to put holes in your boat. Just an option, as there are several ladders that will work.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 12-18-11 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-18-11, 09:37 PM   #33
nofearengineer

Get the e-ladder even if you didn't have a jackplate. It works fine without one too.
Old 12-19-11, 07:38 PM   #34
carroll
BassFishin.Com Member

might have to look in to the eladder ,, thanks. looking for one that if the wife and daughter want to jump in for a swim they will be able to get back in. carroll out.
Old 12-22-11, 05:27 PM   #35
carroll
BassFishin.Com Member

Default avalanche leak

hey nofearengineer, have you heard of any avalanche boats splitting down the middle due to flex? I was talking to a guy who sold his because it was flexing due to rough water fatigue and flexing, has me worried now here is our conversation. start reading from bottom up.

Yes I saw the pictures.. Before you buy take a real good look at bottom of boat and see if it has been patched anywhere. Plus if it was me I'd have the guy fill the bilge area with with plug in and then check underneath for water leaking out...My outside above water line area looked great but underneathe I had two patches from holes that developed from flexing. One near front of boat and one near back pad.

Subject: Re: avalanche
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 15:48:26 -0500
To:

did you see the pictures? do you think thats a good buy?
On Dec 22, 2011, at 8:02 AM, James Moore wrote:

Should be fine then.. I was running mine on Lake Ontario, ST. Lawrence River and Lake Champlain and they get pretty nasty at times...
You'll enjoy the boat, just be carefull if it gets ruff out . I really loved fisihing out of mine, I just wish it would have held up better...

Subject: Re: avalanche
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 15:38:59 -0500
To:

I don't plan on putting it in rough water, i live in northern indiana, just small lakes, usually under 1000acre lakes, you think it it would be ok?, i have attached a picture, it's 03 with a 135 merc opti he wants 11.5K do you thinks that an Ok deal?

On Dec 21, 2011, at 10:10 AM, James Moore wrote:

Right down the middle... I already had some holes in bottom where the Aluminum split due to fatique from flexing...
If you plan on using the boat in ruff water buy something else.. It's a great platform for fishing but can't take the beating in ruff water.
I traded and got a BASSCAT Pantera IV.... Difference is night and day.....

> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 08:48:46 -0500
> Subject: RE: avalanche
> From: gman23@frontier.com
> To:
>
> I was think of getting a 03 avalanche dc where was it. Starting to split?
>
> Sent from my Samsung Mobile
>
> James Moore <moore_hunter@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >
> >No, got rid of it 6 years agao.. Hull started splitting....
> >
> >
> >> From: gman23@frontier.com
> >> Subject: avalanche
> >> Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 17:02:22 -0500
> >> To:
> >>
> >> you you still have your avalanche?
> >
Old 12-22-11, 07:23 PM   #36
nofearengineer

I have never heard of it. Assuming it's true, he probably just got a bad boat. There are lemons in every product batch.
Old 12-22-11, 08:15 PM   #37
kennethdaysale

That E-ladder is slicker than Owl snot!
Old 12-23-11, 03:54 AM   #38
carroll
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok thanks , and i'm sure if you don't drive a glass boat right on real rough water it could stress crack glass too huh?
Old 12-24-11, 12:58 PM   #39
carroll
BassFishin.Com Member

hey nofearengineer, what year did the avalanche start putting wood in the boat, like the deck and stuff, and what years where they all aluminum?
Old 12-27-11, 07:34 PM   #40
nofearengineer

Quote:
hey nofearengineer, what year did the avalanche start putting wood in the boat, like the deck and stuff, and what years where they all aluminum?
I had heard about that. I can not say for sure which year they switched to all aluminum, but my '05 has no wood in it (that I didn't add ), so at least we know from '05 up, you're good.

Maybe bassfisher will log on and let us know what his decks are made of.
Old 12-27-11, 07:36 PM   #41
nofearengineer

Quote:
Ok thanks , and i'm sure if you don't drive a glass boat right on real rough water it could stress crack glass too huh?
I would assume so. Stress cracks are not completley an issue of use. If someone left an edge sharp and jagged, that is a good place for a crack to start. That could happen with any material.

I stay out of really rough water (if I can). It's the stress cracks in my spine that concern me the most.
Old 12-31-11, 09:52 AM   #42
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm with no-fear on this also. From what I can tell no wood in my boat either. I know I read on BBC site (I think that's it) One guy spilt his boat, but it was on the Great Lakes, so nuff said there, if you ever fished there.

The only thing I dislike about my 02 is the live wells will not drain all the way. I have to soak up the water everytime I go fishing with a large sponge. So I went out and bought me a electric vacuum motor (i'll get the name and psi of the motor once I get home) to suck the last of the water out of the live wells. (Works great!!) Then I just soak up the last of the water with a sponge to keep them dry. (don't get me wrong, it's not that much water, maybe a 1/4" deep at the back of the live wells, and even less water at the front of them) Oh one more thing, get a bigger trolling motor, those 67lb 24V TM are not enough in strong winds and a strong current. I had to use 4 or 5 all the time in those conditions. I went out and bought me a 80lb tm to try next year.

So my last thoughts are, enjoy your new 03 boat man!! You will LOVE IT!!!
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 02:05 PM   #43
carroll
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to getting it in april,I believe that is the same guy i quoted from earlier about the split, he said he was on lake ontario and the St Lawrence river. oh well this will be my first boat so kinda exited and nervous at the same time. thanks carroll out.
Old 12-31-11, 02:24 PM   #44
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

First boat, please be extra careful! Those boats handle very well, but can still get you into a LOT of trouble very fast. Watch out for other boat wakes, they can bring your boat out of the water very fast. Not a fun thing to do!
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 03:01 PM   #45
woody

To add to what Bassfisher had to say, here's a video of what can happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI

His PFD and KILL switch saved his life.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-12, 09:45 PM   #46
carroll
BassFishin.Com Member

Ya i totally understand how important boat safety is, i don't get stupid when it comes to things like this, I mean i will probably never even open the boat up, i just want to go out and fish and relax, i seen that video before , guy is stupid, and lucky.
Old 01-02-12, 12:30 PM   #47
kennethdaysale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI

QUESTION?? This video clearly states that driver stayed in the water unconscious for 10 minutes..........10 minutes...........10 minutes.????? Camera boat's wake is what ejected him. Camera boat was capable of swinging around and being at this guys side in maybe 30 seconds or less. What in the world did they do for 10 minutes?? go work the main channel with some deep cranks first? run to the marina for a couple of foot-longs and a six pack? stop and check the water temp so they could post on my temp thread??? I'm afraid I just don't understand this at all. The 10 minute timeline was repeated often enough to discount the possibility of a typo and it wasn't one of those IKE teleprompter snafus.
Old 01-02-12, 02:10 PM   #48
nofearengineer

KDS, he wasn't left unattended for 10 minutes. He just wasn't lifted out until they were sure his skeleton was still attached where it should be. They didn't want to kill him. Since he was unconscious, they couldn't ask him if he could still feel his feet.
Old 01-02-12, 04:49 PM   #49
kennethdaysale

Understood...but lacking any clear protocol my first reaction would be to get him onboard. Judgement call at best.
Old 01-10-12, 01:01 PM   #50
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Great looking boat!

I must admit, when I saw the pics, I thought, hmmmm....Tracker used to make fiberglass boats?
Until I read it was formed aluminum, it had me fooled.
Mikey likes......

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.