Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-12, 09:30 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Problem solved

Ok, tired of making an ethical decision so I went and got a non-resident Illinois license so now I can bass fish year round.
Good idea huh?
Well it wasn't mine! It was my new friend's, whom I met from here and he was fortunate enough to get the great opportunity to move north.
And...........he got to meet ME! How much better can life really get?
Anyway, we make plans to fish and niether of us have ever fished Illinois waters so we're just googling and trying to find a starting point. 'I' being the semi-homeboy find a dam in this small, couple thousand pop. town and he finds some public park that happened to have water the public could fish, the rest was private property. So we go with my idea. Nothing, not a thing. Maybe two strikes but nada. Place was a nice looking spot...but that was all, nice looking. So went to the spot 'basstech' had found and fished. Wind was crazy. Like 30 mi/hr constant with 50 mi gusts. So big deal, I'll show him how we northern boys do it.
Nada, not a thing! No bites, I'm trying every angle, every lure, plastic, hard body, jerking it, dragging it, NADA! Not a thing!

Oh ya, I quess I probably should mention.....'basstech' got like a 6lb. large mouth and a 14 incher.........Done laughing?
I hate to admit it but.....my hats off to all my soutern friends. I mean, basstech picks the water and then the best spot on the water. Chooses the right bait with the right techniquue. Come on, cut me alittle slack.
Nice work basstech!
Here's the best part. This kid comes next to me and he's bass fishing. So I'm asking questions about this little lake and I ask him if he fishes here often. He said not really and he lived like
10 miles south. Asked him where he liked to fish. He said they usually drove to Delavan Lake in Wi. and in fact he and his father were going there tonight. I asked if they were going panfishing or what? He said no we're bass fishing. I said, "It's none of my business but you know Wisconsin has seasons right?". He said, "Oh it's OK because my father and I do C&R and if you release the fish it's ok to fish for them."
Is that just priceless...his father is taking an hour plus one way drive to illegally fish for bass and taking the kids with to teach them this great sporting ethic. They can fish legally in thier home waters....that's exactly why I'm there.

Anyway, basstech thanks, I had a great day.
The rest, thanks for letting me bore you.

You folks have the very best tomorrow you possible can, PLEASE.
Old 03-10-12, 11:41 PM   #2
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You did the right thing, Joe. Nice. On the other hand, it's people like that kid's dad who bug me. Read the regs and follow them. Anyway, thanks for sharing your story. Glad you got out fishing, hope you land a couple next time!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12, 12:49 AM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

now athat IS AN AWESUM STORY JOE. i hope i can tell one similier when the boy from mississippi comes for a visit.
Old 03-11-12, 02:38 AM   #4
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You're welcome Joe, I had a good time as well, you did neglect to mention one thing, between my two bass, Joe hooked into a real nice northern on a jig and trailer that went 11lbs.8Oz. He has some pictures of it so he'll be posting them soon hopefully. Nice catch Joe. Thanks to getting me introduced properly to some northern waters. Oh, and it wasn't like I went, this must be the best spot to fish, just camped across the bridge from you is all, maybe you left that area too soon to get out of the wind.

Last edited by basstech; 03-11-12 at 02:40 AM. Reason: spelling
basstech is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.