Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-07, 04:04 PM   #1
cheifton2005
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Need some tips on fishing a new lake!

So im in college and i've been away from my hometown lakes that i knew so well and loved so much. My roommate recently stumbled upon a nearby lake that apparently has huge catfish and thats what he loves to catch. I did some research and turns out this lake actually has a lot of bass potential. There are just a few problems. Progress Energy uses this lake for cooling so the water is usually incredibly hot (97 degrees yesterday) and for the most part its just a flooded field with most places being 4-5 feet deep with fairly deep was (25-30) through a river channel and around the dikes. I've been fishing all my life and never encountered water of this depth and temp and i realized after three hours of unproductive fishing yesterday i have no clue where the fish are. I was just wondering if anyone had an tips on where to find the bass?

P.S- Its Sutton Lake in Wilmington NC if that helps anyone out
cheifton2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 01:27 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Wow. That one stumped me too... although I'm no expert, some of the guys here have forgotten more about bassin then I know. But anyways, welcome to the forum and watch out for crazy peoples.

anyways. the guys here may be crazy, but like I said, they know boat loads. (no pun intended) Hope you get aan answer to you hot water problem.
Old 08-07-07, 02:07 PM   #3
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

No expert either Cheif, but I'd say you want to fish the drop-off's where the lake goes from shallow to the creeck channel. If the water is 97 degree's like you said, the bass WILL BE in that cooler, 20-30 foot of water. Try there, you may be suprised...

-LL-
Old 08-07-07, 08:17 PM   #4
lizardsrule

It's a lake, just shallower than what your used to and hotter. The bass will probably be more active this time of year at night, so that's my first suggestion. Also a drop off is still a drop off even if it's 1'. So look for any structure changes, and also look for cover around these structure changes. When they run the cooling pumps is it constant or do they kick it on every so often? The reason I ask is that when the pumps are running that maybe the best time to fish the lake. Anytime water is being pulled out, or put into the the lake, it usually makes the fish feed. You will love this lake come winter. Even in NC the water temps will have the bass more active duirng the winter. I've fished water that hot and hotter by my temp gauge here in FL, and just about ev ery lake is shallow. Now look how big these bass get down here. That may be a place for some real Hawg's.

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 08-07-07 at 08:29 PM.
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 08:19 PM   #5
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Is there actually some kinda river or creek running into the lake? If so I would suggest to fish the creek/river mouth area where it dumps into the lake. If there isnt, I would think to fish deep water. Anywhere there is cooler water [even by a few degrees] thats where the fish will be. 97 degrees is pretty hot though, that would deffinitely have me rethinking my fishing approach. Also take note where your buddy catches the cats, obviously if they are holding there other fish might as well be too. If you dont have a boat it could be a pretty difficult feat, but if you do, fish deep cranks along the channel, and jig. try fishing before and after dark if possible, even though it will still be pretty hot, it wont have the added heat from the sun.
Old 08-07-07, 08:45 PM   #6
zooker

lake sutton is a hot hole lake..winter fishing is killer

chiefton
pick up the "northcarolina sportsman magzine" it has the fishing forcast and tips for lake waccamaw. sutton and the cape fear river.- all in your area..

zooker
Old 08-07-07, 09:39 PM   #7
Rebbasser

Chief, just on that brief description I would head for deeper water with a T-rig, a C-rig or a jig. This time of year during the heat of the day they move out into deep water and suspend. As Lizards said, they are more active in the low light conditions. I usually fish with Flyrod and we try to be on the water by 5 and off by noon or so when it starts getting too hot.
Old 08-08-07, 12:31 AM   #8
cheifton2005
BassFishin.Com Member

hey guys i really appreciate the help, im actually getting up tomorrow morning and dragging my roommate out [I]hopefully[I] around 6 but ill def. try out those tips, also there are TONS of stumps sticking up out of the water all over the place, i mean this lake is literally a mine field think its worth posting up around those places and trying a while? and lizards i dont know about the pumping thing, last time we were out there they were pumping and the water was capping so we just went out the dike where it was much more calm and a little cooler, but ill be sure to keep you guys updated on my trip in the AM
Old 08-08-07, 01:14 PM   #9
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Yeah deffinitely work the stump fields in early morning/late evening. Try jigging, t-rigging, and topwater through them.
Old 08-08-07, 04:29 PM   #10
cheifton2005
BassFishin.Com Member

okay we put in about 2 1/2 hours today, we were going to go ealier but the thunder and radar made us hang out for about an hour so we didnt hit the water till probably 8, we fished the river channel most of the time, he had his catfish bait out there and i was using a t-rig and a heavy spinner fishing a dropped tree and jigging the channel,and the only hook up we managed was a 2 pounder on a piece of cut mullet believe it or not, got some solid tips from a fellow angler and hopefully friday the luck will turn around
Old 08-09-07, 08:18 PM   #11
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheifton2005 View Post
okay we put in about 2 1/2 hours today, we were going to go ealier but the thunder and radar made us hang out for about an hour so we didnt hit the water till probably 8, we fished the river channel most of the time, he had his catfish bait out there and i was using a t-rig and a heavy spinner fishing a dropped tree and jigging the channel,and the only hook up we managed was a 2 pounder on a piece of cut mullet believe it or not, got some solid tips from a fellow angler and hopefully friday the luck will turn around

Sometimes the pumps will get fish in them and chew them up, meaning cut bait for anything around the pumps. The fish very well may be hanging around that area. The fish do get used to the hotter water, but they still like a break like we do.

Lizards
Old 08-09-07, 09:46 PM   #12
Super Fluke

I'd say fish where the water is cooler, where there is shade or where it is deep.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.