Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-09, 02:21 PM   #1
italian dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Post newbie to bass-fishing

Hello here in the north carolina and like to learn how to bass fish but really dont have any knowledge as of what bait to use . I have a zebco 33 , and a bail caster which I away get the reel in a bird cage so I am using the zebco 33, will this set-up work with bass fishing. Try some fishing the other day and no luck, is bass fishing as hard as it look or just lack of experience , boy just want to feel that bass .Thanks for taking your time to read and have a great day on the lake.

Last edited by italian dude; 07-19-09 at 02:29 PM.
italian dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-09, 02:56 PM   #2
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome to the forum Mr. Italy!

You picked the best place to start learning Bassfishin'.

I can say that with the desire that you show, and the knowledge that can be gained, and oh, a little help from the bait monkey, you will be feeling the Bass soon enough!

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-09, 02:59 PM   #3
italian dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Woody
Old 07-19-09, 04:45 PM   #4
bcklash

welcome dude, you will enjoy this site- I promise
Old 07-19-09, 10:22 PM   #5
italian dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys and hope we can relate about bass fishing in the future
Old 07-19-09, 10:47 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

yep, way back when, i started woth a zebco 33. but after you get the fever for real. you'll break out that bail caster (spinning reel) and then you'll buy a bait caster, then a few bucks in tackle and then...........

get the idea? hahahahahaha. this is the best site on the web man, welcome and ask anything you need to know. remember this too. the search button is your best friend. but ask and you will receive answers to your questions. and tell us some lies and post pics as much as you can. we love to see pics here.
Old 07-20-09, 02:11 AM   #7
Stew
BassFishin.Com Active Member

In addition to asking specific questions here, a more experienced fishing buddy can help tremendously. You might ask around at a local bait and tackle.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 02:47 AM   #8
Flippy
BassFishin.Com Member

i fish wylie ocasionaly do you live any where near buster boyd landing
Old 07-20-09, 04:48 AM   #9
italian dude
BassFishin.Com Member

I have fish at Lake James Nebo NC and Moss Lake King Mountain NC Western NC Location some foke have say that best time to catch bass is early February thur March
Old 07-20-09, 08:35 AM   #10
Bassboss

Welcome to the sight Mr. Italy!

So you wanna start into bass fishing 'eh! Well first off I would get a spinning reel, try a Shakespeare inspinty combo. Not to bad of a combo for 30 bucks! But some 12lb test sufix monofilament on the reel

First thing you should add to you lure arsenal is some 6" curly tail worms, and some zoom trick worms. Next thing I would add is some hooks. Get some 2/0 and 3/0 off set and wide gap worm hooks. Next up you'll need some bullet weights. With the worms and the hooks, you can now make a texas rig, check out this video to see how.

That should get you started!

Old 07-20-09, 11:08 AM   #11
WaffleJaw

my qoute button wont work

anyways, welcome to the site....Im a noob here myself and love it...great info,good people..

Bassboss nailed what i carry as far as hook sizes and types,bullet weights,and worms...(plus the many more)

most questions you'll have,have been covered over and over....just use the search engine provided and you'll have plenty of reading material on this site....i use it everyday!!

good luck,and remember to post pics!!

W.
Old 07-20-09, 08:30 PM   #12
italian dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys for that information
Old 07-20-09, 08:47 PM   #13
italian dude
BassFishin.Com Member

as of tying a knot what are the best way

Last edited by italian dude; 07-20-09 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-20-09, 09:11 PM   #14
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by italian dude View Post
as of tying a knot what are the best way

Depends on the application. If you're talking about tying on a lure or a swivel, I go with the Berkley Trilene knot.

http://www.animatedknots.com/trilene/index.php

I've used this knot for years and it's never let me down. Works with both mono and braid lines.
Old 07-20-09, 09:29 PM   #15
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
then a few bucks in tackle and then...........
bama you huffin the dry wall spackle again?? a "few" bucks in tackle lmao....

Quote:
I have fish at Lake James Nebo NC and Moss Lake King Mountain NC Western NC Location some foke have say that best time to catch bass is early February thur March
moss is like james-prefure james- clear as sin most times... the smallie bite on topwater is your best bet-poppers being the bait of choice- look deep 60-100 feet of water watch for shad busting the surface...linville side will leave you pullin your hair out- 40+ feet of vizability- best bet fish the catawaba side. bit cloudy with about 10 feet of vizability..

other baits
a spinnerbait white skirt with a few blue strands twin chrome blades nothing bigger than 3/8
3" senko white pepper or icecicle
4" finnesse worm in the above colors..
shakey head is your friend they do, do alot of drop shoting..

leave your braid at home no line even floro over 12 pound test-they can see it-

any more questions??

zooker
Old 07-20-09, 09:30 PM   #16
MallenManson

If I were to give you my A#1 bait reccomendation for what to throw, I'd have to go with this

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...005000_100-5-2

Bass Pro Shops XPS Floating Nitro Minnow. I'd recommend Silver Shad and Bleeding Clown.
In the last 2 years, I've caught more bass on them than anything else.
Extremely easy to use, which would benefit you, being new to the sport. Cast them out, especially near any structure or drop offs and simply reel it in.
That's all there is to it, the bass set the hooks themselves more times than not. Feel a strike, set the hook and bring him in.
Old 07-20-09, 09:53 PM   #17
cassidyta

First off, welcome to the site. You will find that there is no shortage on advice and knowledge.
Old 07-20-09, 10:56 PM   #18
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
First off, welcome to the site. You will find that there is no shortage on advice and knowledge.
And no shortage on baitmonkey buy's
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 11:34 PM   #19
bamabassman

hahaha, no zooker, not spackle ..................yet. staining beams though, hahahahahahahahahaha. didn't want to scare the newbie right off man.
Old 07-21-09, 02:36 AM   #20
italian dude
BassFishin.Com Member

As of the lake james what is the best time to fish winter,spring,summer or fall , as I am a rookie so have a lots of question Thanks Guys for all your help
Old 07-21-09, 04:01 PM   #21
zooker

febuary/march.. early feb the waleye run is on.. late feb smallies are spawning..

zooker
Old 07-22-09, 02:37 AM   #22
italian dude
BassFishin.Com Member

so now I have plenty of time to get ready for the up coming fishing season, new tackle as of fishing line reels and rods combo,lures,crankbait,spinner bait I'am sure there a bunch more tackle availble just like to say thanks for all the info that everybody has provided maybe one day i can post my first catch , yes i am hungry
Old 07-23-09, 06:55 PM   #23
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakyfish View Post
And no shortage on baitmonkey buy's
Don't forget BS
Old 07-23-09, 06:57 PM   #24
MallenManson

Quote:
so now I have plenty of time to get ready for the up coming fishing season, new tackle as of fishing line reels and rods combo,lures,crankbait,spinner bait I'am sure there a bunch more tackle availble just like to say thanks for all the info that everybody has provided maybe one day i can post my first catch , yes i am hungry
We're all looking forward to it, I can assure you
Old 08-05-09, 09:16 AM   #25
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Welcome aboard. I’m sort of a newbie here myself as well as a baby when it comes to bass fishing. I have managed to catch some but I mostly hunt for catfish and monster bluegills.

Any rod and reel can be used to catch any type of fish. Think about it, the fish only is going to see what’s in the water in front of them. They don’t care if there’s a $600 Shimano on the other end of the line or a $10 reel from Wal-Mart. Some reels are just more proficient and provide the angler with more versatility and toughness to handle the bass as well as the type of lures and techniques used.

I, like most anglers started off on a Zebco spincast reels. That’s what my dad taught me to fish with and he still uses the very reels he had at that time today. My dad said he bought a spinning reel but didn’t understand why someone would want to have to grab the line, flip the bail open, cast, then close the bail when all you have to do with a spincast reel is push a button. He said he ended up tossing his spinning reel out. If you’re curious about using another type of reel like I was, do what I did. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a $15 spinning reel by Shakespeare. I bought a spinner lure to try out as well. The first bass I hooked on to was way to big and aggressive for my reel and line. I fought it for a while but when it got about 5-7 feet from the bank the line finally snapped.

Since that day I started investing in higher quality spinning reels. Please understand my idea of higher quality is in the $30-$70 range. The most expensive reel I’ve bought was $170 baitcaster. But before I purchased it I bought a couple in the $40-$70 range to get the hang of it.

So my advice is to purchase a spinning reel first. But don’t only go for bass with it. Go ahead and hunt down some bluegills and crappie to get a feel for it. Maybe even a catfish or two to get a feel for hauling in some weight with it. Although I would recommend getting a higher quality combo than the $15 one at Wal-Mart. But it’s your money. You can also find reasonable deals on baitcasting combos. I would recommend Dicks Sporting Goods if you have one in your area. You can always find a good Quantum Tenacity combo in the $35-$45 dollar range. Beyond that, it’s all about practice and repetition. Kinda like sports.

Good luck Mate.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.