Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-10, 09:03 AM   #1
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Homemade Rod Caddy

In a previous thread I mentioned making my own rod carrier for my four favorite rod/reel combos. Since a few of you expressed an interest in seeing it, here are a couple of photos, which show it unloaded and loaded:

The beam is an old shower rod and the grip is a piece of foam pipe insulation. The end pieces were cut out of scrap marine grade plywood. I found some old stain and exterior varnish to put on the wood pieces - to protect them if I set this thing down in wet grass. The only thing I actually purchased for this was the two locking screws. The holes that accomodate the butt ends of the rods are 1-1/8", with the exception of the 1" hole used for my fly rod. The length as shown is about 5 ft, but the end pieces can be positioned along the beam as necessary.

This contraption seemed a little top-heavy and cumbersome at first, but not as much so as trying to carry four rods/reels in one hand. I soon found that carrying it with the rod butts facing forward worked better for me. I fish a lot from the banks of farm ponds and small reservoirs, where getting to the waters edge requires a walk of 200 - 300 yds in some cases. I have a feeling it would not work real well through thick brush or heavily wooded areas...time will tell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0891.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	551.4 KB
ID:	5868   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0894.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	551.4 KB
ID:	5869  
Old 10-10-10, 09:11 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

very inovated! i lie this buddy. looks stronger compared to the store bought ones.
Old 10-10-10, 10:30 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Very nice!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-10, 02:49 AM   #4
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Very nice, HM! Yours looks really sweet. I would love to see the positive looks you will get from others who will see you toting it around.

I made one myself too, but I made mine to hold three rods (and hence its traingular ends) after I decided that 3 was the most I used on a typical outing, even when I brought more. I shared my design with someone on another forum and he took it to the next level. If I make another, I will design it to hold 4 or 5 rods with a trapezoid or pentagon shape. And I happen to call mine a rod quiver.

PVC end caps were place on the lower triangle and u-shaped grooves with carved in the upper one and line with felt. Industrial strength (as home depot calls it) keep the blanks secure to the quiver and when holding it, gravity keeps them in place.

The other neat and initially unforeseen benefit of using the quiver is that I can have it stand upright on level ground or propped on my tackle bag or a bench to keep my unused rigs off of the ground to keep them scratch and dirt free.
Old 10-11-10, 08:00 AM   #5
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Very nice, HM! Yours looks really sweet. I would love to see the positive looks you will get from others who will see you toting it around.

The other neat and initially unforeseen benefit of using the quiver is that I can have it stand upright on level ground or propped on my tackle bag or a bench to keep my unused rigs off of the ground to keep them scratch and dirt free.
Another very functional design, IB. I had not really considered standing mine on end, but I can see the benefits of doing so. I would just need to add some Velcro strips to go across the grooves for the rod tips.

/
Old 10-11-10, 02:46 PM   #6
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I got mine from Home Depot but I have seen the same velcro at Walmart. It actually says on it, "Industrial" velcro or something along those lines. It could be cheaper at WalMart. They spoke true to their word on its strength, as it holds very well. In addition, I believe my quiver is about 3 years old now and it holds my rods as well now as the first day.
Old 10-11-10, 04:28 PM   #7
Dave63

I like it!
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.