Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-11, 08:46 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Drop shot weight style?

What ya'lls favorite drop shot weight. I've got the cylindrical, round and the triangular ones from Owner. I've also noticed that the cylindrical ones tend to me a little more expensive. Anyone know why that is?
Old 03-14-11, 08:54 PM   #2
Kevin
Administrator

Hi Bassboss... I use both the teardrop and finesse (aka. skinny or pencil) drop shot weights.

I use the finesse (skinny) weights in most situations where I'm casting the rig, or where there is grass. I'll use it in most situations where I'm "dragging the rig".

I use the more rounded teardrop weights when I'm fishing more vertically in deeper water. Reason being, I can feel it hit bottom easier and the weight won't move as much when shaking the bait...which is important in those vertical and slower presentations.

Swivels are a must! If you find a brand that's sinker doesn't fly off the line keeper when casting, let me know! There are a lot of new brands on the market of recent... I've been using a smattering of brands and till now they all are equally effective for the most part.

I don't use the round drop shot weights too much. They are great if you are fishing vertical and deep though.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-14-11, 08:54 PM   #3
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I prefer the cylinder or pencil style dropshot weights... we use them by the hundreds up here on Erie. They seem to come through the rocks much better than the ball style weights.

I used to by them from BPS, but it is way too expensive. I now pour my own weights, 500 at a time, in sizes 1/8 through 5/8. I can pour 500 for around $48-$50, which comes out to around .09 to .10 cents a piece. If you buy through BPS, it is $4.79 for about 10 in a pack. So you are talking around 50 cents a piece through BPS.

Ryan
Old 03-14-11, 08:54 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Just use whatever you've got. If you're fishing a lot of rocks, you'll be buying more soon.

BB
Old 03-14-11, 09:29 PM   #5
Bassboss

Thanks guys, I've never seen them tear drop ones, they look like a pretty well rounded weight.

I plan I used what I got, I just wanna know what to get when I run out, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
I prefer the cylinder or pencil style dropshot weights... we use them by the hundreds up here on Erie. They seem to come through the rocks much better than the ball style weights.

I used to by them from BPS, but it is way too expensive. I now pour my own weights, 500 at a time, in sizes 1/8 through 5/8. I can pour 500 for around $48-$50, which comes out to around .09 to .10 cents a piece. If you buy through BPS, it is $4.79 for about 10 in a pack. So you are talking around 50 cents a piece through BPS.

Ryan
Great idea, if I get into drop shotting big this year, I'll see about doing that.
Old 03-15-11, 10:11 AM   #6
walkeraviator

I use teardrops... but then again i dont dropshot much. Did anyone else notice Kevin doing a driveby posting? Im glad to see he is gettin some free time...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 11:04 AM   #7
cassidyta

I use three different types.
Most of the time I use the skinny type. I don't use a particular name brand and get them from mom and pop stores.
Once in a while I will use the tear drop style. I like this when I am casting onto big boulders. I feel that these will stay on the boulders better than the skinny style.
The third style that I use are round ones. I use these when I am in heavy weeds and tullies. I feel that these will find the holes in the weeds a litle better. I only use this style when going straight braid without a leader.
Old 03-15-11, 11:34 AM   #8
nofearengineer

Anyone know of a curved style drop shot sinker? Sort of like a Lindy Rig No-Snagg sinker. I like to work my drop shots very slowly, kind of at a crawl. Unfortunately, I find this method can lead to a lot more snags. I hope that a curved sinker might help with this.
Old 03-15-11, 11:36 AM   #9
cassidyta

Bryce,

I have seen these in use, but have not used them myself.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Voss_...age-VWDSW.html
Old 03-15-11, 12:03 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Thanks, Cass...that is exactly what I am looking for. Obviously, I am not much of a shopper if I can't find that on TW.
Old 03-15-11, 01:09 PM   #11
cassidyta

That is because you don't shop for little things such as weights. Based on your past purchases, I would guess that anything under $500 doesn't make it on your radar.
Old 03-15-11, 02:36 PM   #12
rrw4258

You can take a cylinder style DS weight, and bend it using two pairs of pliers, one at each end. The weight will bend pretty easy. It helps come through the rocks much easier.

Ryan
Old 03-15-11, 02:49 PM   #13
mcneilkid
BassFishin.Com Member

quick question. I know they make drop shot weights, can a split shot be used in its place?
mcneilkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 03:57 PM   #14
cassidyta

McNeil,

I have done so in the past when in a bind. For me, I didn't feel as much of the bottom that way, but it will work.
Old 03-15-11, 06:56 PM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Bryce,

I have seen these in use, but have not used them myself.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Voss_...age-VWDSW.html
Wow, those look really nice.. looks like a good price too.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-15-11, 07:22 PM   #16
MIbasser

Hey Boss, take a look at http://hookerztackle.com/drop-shot-w...-shot-weights/ I've met these guys at the last show in MI. They put a really good product out there. They also have a special right now, 100 (lots of 20) for $25 to your door. Check them out on Facebook.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 07:35 PM   #17
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Hey Boss, take a look at http://hookerztackle.com/drop-shot-w...-shot-weights/ I've met these guys at the last show in MI. They put a really good product out there. They also have a special right now, 100 (lots of 20) for $25 to your door. Check them out on Facebook.
Interesting, I've heard of there hooks, but didn't know about the weights. Good price, also worth looking at! Thanks!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.