Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-11, 11:54 AM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default BPS Prolite special on sale this week!

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...eelSept2011_HM

I bought on these and still haven't used it yet
But I saw this posted on FB (Thats right Joe,facebook isnt totally gay)
and thought Id pass it along... $39 bucks seems like a great deal for this little finesse baitcaster.

Online only.

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 08-22-11 at 12:03 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-11, 12:31 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Can I bum 40 bucks off of someone?

Kevin (pro reel) got one of them a while back, and if I remember right, it's basically a daiwa SOL.

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=27165
Old 08-22-11, 12:37 PM   #3
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

WOW. I love mine. I know several guys that bought them at the sale and everyone that has one loves them. The handles are the only complaint I have. I don't care for that knob style but some love it.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-11, 01:38 PM   #4
CamG

If they made a lefty version, I'd be completely broke right now. That's a helluva deal and a sweet little reel!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-11, 02:57 PM   #5
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...eelSept2011_HM

I bought on these and still haven't used it yet
But I saw this posted on FB (Thats right Joe,facebook isnt totally gay)
and thought Id pass it along... $39 bucks seems like a great deal for this little finesse baitcaster.

Online only.
Hahaha!

I had one of these reels for awhile, it didn't really suit my needs but is a fantastic reel for $40!! If you find one in stores, they will honor the online price, you just might have to tell them.
Old 08-23-11, 09:40 AM   #6
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you're willing to consider a house brand reel, BPS is the way to go. Especially during the sales.
Old 08-23-11, 06:32 PM   #7
oglejust

what rod would u match up with this reel? ive considered a finese baitcaster.
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 06:51 PM   #8
pro reel

I'm not a rod guy. I can't tell you the specs of a dozen different brands etc, etc. I only use Falcon rods. I'm not saying they are the best, they are just the rod i use. That makes it easier for me. I put it on one until I found the rod that it felt good on. It happens to be a 6.6 med action rod. I think you get hung up on this idea that reels and rods need to be matched into pairs. Most reels will work fine on any rod, as long as the rod is about the aprpriate size and action for that size of reel. Another thing folks can get hung up on is the idea that a finesse size reel is for finesse use only. That is not true with casting reels today. Most of them are just as strong on the inside as any full sized casting reel. This reel could be used for small finesse baits or it could also be used to pitch 1/2 oz jigs or anything in between. So, the quetsion to ask is how do you want to use it. If you would like to have a dedicated finesse rig, this is a good choice. Now you would need to decide what action the finesse lures you will use is best suited. Small jigs , shakey heads, weightless baits and other similar baits will probably do best on a med to med light action with a fast tip. Something that has enough tip action to launch those small baits but still enough back bone to drive the hook home. If you wan't to set it up for small crank baits such as 100 size bandits or even smaller, then a med light with a slow or parabolic action would be best. Within those parameters, find a rod you like and see if you can take your reel with you to check for balance and feel before you buy the rod.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 10:44 PM   #9
bassinbob

Might have to try one for the dual brakes.
Old 08-24-11, 10:36 AM   #10
DVT Mike

What I'd consider a finesse reel would be one with a good free spool and a light spool for easy startup. I'd think the Prolite covers that. The same reel might require a little care when throwing heavy baits and might not get the total distance that a heavier spooled reel might get due to inertia. Either reel is equally capable of landing fish once their hooked. The rod should be the main tool for fighting the fish with the reel simply taking up the line.

Match the rod you choose to the baits you'll throw and cover you'll fish. If possible it's a good idea to bring the reel along so you can mount it and see if it feels right to you.
Old 08-25-11, 09:16 PM   #11
mike234

Pro Reel super tunned 2 of the Pro Lite reels for me. One has 6# line on it and have been using it for drop shotting. You would not believe how smooth this reel is. I can throw the smallest lures with no problem at all.
For drop shotting I put it on a G Loomis 822 Drop Shot Rod and this is the perfect match at least for me. I have a Crucial Drop Shot Spinning Rod with a Symmetre reel and the Pro Lite combo is more sensitive, smoother, and more more enjoyable to fish. If you want a great lite reel buy one and send it to Pro Reel. My Curado 50 is not any smoother or does it cast any better than the Pro Lite after the tune.

Last edited by mike234; 08-25-11 at 09:18 PM. Reason: misspelled word
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 08:18 PM   #12
AndyO
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
Pro Reel super tunned 2 of the Pro Lite reels for me. One has 6# line on it and have been using it for drop shotting. You would not believe how smooth this reel is. I can throw the smallest lures with no problem at all.
For drop shotting I put it on a G Loomis 822 Drop Shot Rod and this is the perfect match at least for me. I have a Crucial Drop Shot Spinning Rod with a Symmetre reel and the Pro Lite combo is more sensitive, smoother, and more more enjoyable to fish. If you want a great lite reel buy one and send it to Pro Reel. My Curado 50 is not any smoother or does it cast any better than the Pro Lite after the tune.

Mine wont cast much farther than 30 yards or so even when throwing something heavy like a spinner. I even have the brake set to zero and the other so light that one more slight turn and shes ready to free spin. I have cleaned and oiled the worn gear and the spool however i have not done the main barrings as i have never taken down that side of any baitcaster and dont wanna screw it up. Who is this pro reel you are talking about and what exactly did he do to your reel?

thanks
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 09:02 PM   #13
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyO View Post
Who is this pro reel you are talking about and what exactly did he do to your reel?

thanks
check poster #3
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 09:04 PM   #14
AndyO
BassFishin.Com Member

yeah thanks left him a message
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.