Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-07, 11:25 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default Good Night on Bird

Got out to Bird Lake tonight from about 8:30 to 10:30PM. Started out with a clear/pearl and silver flake Senko and got one about 10" in a clump of weeds where I saw him surfacing. Dad also got a decent 14" on a Black Grape 7" curly tail powerbait(both worms T-Rig). As the night rolled on, i went to my jointed jitterbug. Had soooo many taps and smacks, but no fish until 10 mins or so later. After landing two on this (8" and 16") I hooked up again..... with a decent. After a 10-second fight, the line went dead, he got off....I ducked for cover from the flying lure(or so I thought). No lure came back, the line snapped clean off... which in turn led to me being P'D CLEAN OFF!!!
Old 07-06-07, 11:18 AM   #2
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

What line where you using? Switch to braid and i promise you you will never lose a lure again... just make sure to use a polamor knot, all others slip.
Old 07-06-07, 06:27 PM   #3
lunker-lander

The line was Trilene Super Strength 10lb test. Ya know when your knot comes untied, there is a very bad curled area (about 2" long) at the end of your line? Well, that didn't happen. There was no curly area at the end of my line, it was a clean snap-off. There must have been a small knick in my line - probably from when I was clipping the tag end of my line when I was tying on the Jitterbug.
Old 07-06-07, 06:56 PM   #4
bassfisher02

I'm not doubting your knots at all, just saying braids rarely break, unless theres something down there razor sharp, and even then it'd have to take a few swips from it to cause it to break off.
Old 07-06-07, 09:58 PM   #5
lunker-lander

Mono casts twice as far with spinning reels though. Esp. with light lures.
Old 07-06-07, 11:12 PM   #6
bassfisher02

I dont know about that... i can cast just as far using powerpro as i can using mono line. I was throwing a weightless tonight and could easily make the other side of the pond... it casts as far as i need it to, a lot of the casting has to do with your reel. And even if you do lose a couple of feet, i'd say it was worth it, you never have to worry about losing a lure. I've literally pulled small fallen trees up from underwater when snagged, just last weekend while saltwater fishing i snagged on rocks, i ended up pulling the weight of the boat to the rocks against wind and currant, and got my jig back... granted it wasnt worthy of using anymore because the hook was no completely straight, but it never broke the line. another plus is it has no tangle and stretch. IMO the casting isnt effected much if any, but use whatever you are comfortable with.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.