Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-10, 09:46 PM   #1
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Why did the deer cross the lake?

While fishing yesterday morning a deer suddenly came charging out of the woods and jumped into the lake, and started swimming towards our boat,but turned around about half way to us and swam back to shore and dissapeared back into the woods......Wouldn't you know it was the one time I forgot to take my camera.....Can't help but wonder what chased him into the lake?

I,ve seen deer swim across small bodies of water, but I couldn't believe he was fixin to swim across this lake since it was quite a distance,so I dunno......Couldn't help but think Bigfoot chased him into the water....lol....Especially since we've had several sightings in this area over the years....Not to mention some of the weird things we've heard while fishing these remote areas......Who knows, this forest is large enough and remote enough to support such a creature.....Are you a believer?

For the record we didn't catch any bass,but we did manage to catch a few more Pickeral, and Warmouths....still a fun day,even though it was hotter then blue blazes....lol.....Plus we came home with another wildlife story to share...lol
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 10:02 PM   #2
1/4 stick

I don't doubt there being a bigfoot. When you think about how much of the US is still wilderness, I can see a critter with a primates inteligence and a low population going on without being captured.

But it could have been almost anything that spooked the deer.
Old 06-14-10, 11:25 PM   #3
bcklash

Why did the deer cross the lake?

To get to the other side.

Zooker was in Ark. looking for something to grill.
Old 06-14-10, 11:50 PM   #4
1/4 stick

If it's as hot there as it is here, I can't blame it for jumping in the lake.
Old 06-15-10, 09:50 AM   #5
Cavs1123

maybe it was a coyote?
Old 06-15-10, 12:02 PM   #6
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs1123 View Post
maybe it was a coyote?

not during the day man , they are night time hunters . 66 that musta been real cool to see man .

jim
Old 06-15-10, 02:43 PM   #7
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I saw that last summer... the one I saw was drinking, then it looked like something scared the crap out of it and jumped in the lake... it swam around for 2 minutes before getting out and running off as fast as it could.
I usually have good hearing but I did not hear anything at all unless it might have been a snake or something small but nasty...

I remember in my teen years deer hunting, we used to go to a private area (with permission) where the owner built a small dam across a 12-14" wide creek to make a little pond. There used to be a deer trail right through the middle, the trail area was around 6-8 ft deep once it was full. We would sit about 30 yards from the edge to catch some drinking for the shot... there were several times we saw deer running through the woods along their trail jump right into the water swim across and keep running as if nothing stopped them. It was only 100 feet across but half of that was the jump.
Oh and yes my Dad did bag a deer drinking there last 2 days of the season.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 04:43 PM   #8
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Years ago there was a small deer swimming across a lake in MD. It got so tired that a fisherman in a jon boat, picked it up and took it across. The little deer just laid in the boat exausted. He put it out on the other side. After a while, it got up and walked away.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 04:58 PM   #9
3dkicker

I've seen deer do the same thing a couple of times. Very strange to see. First time the deer was being chased by a beagle, black lab, and a mutt. Swam out a little and then came back after the dogs ran away.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.