Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-14-13, 07:57 PM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Fishing Fork with kayakbassin TV

I gotta really cool opportunity this weekend..I was invited to come to Lake Fork for Fri-Sunday to fish and film with KayakbassinTV (WFN) with Chad Hoover.
Naturally I wasnt gonna pass up the opportunity...It was short notice,so I had to prep quick..I was excited to meet Chad since we've talked quite a bit via facebook,but mostly excited to fish Fork for an entire weekend....Ive been wanting to do that forever...Plus with a group of guys I knew well and fished with quite a bit since I started kayak fishing..

however....

The fishing was terrible..Well for most...The weather was down right brutal..high 60's and pouring rain on Saturday....Then a 30 degree drop cold front, waking up to 37 degrees with 20-30 mile winds Sunday......and yea, we fished it in kayaks.

Heres a few pics...Starting off, the weather was awesome...No wind, foggy and not cold at all...Even a few fish caught right off the bat!

Then.......about a 2 hours in....Light rain then heavy down pour!

5 of us were lucky enough to be right next to some docks so we posted underneath till the rain let up (about half an hour)

After that we fished for a few more hours..Then paddled back to load up...I was soaked! all my tackle was drenched...The inside of my car was sloppy wet because my carrying system for the yak runs under the roof which allows water to drip in on the seats.....Yea it was a mess...We spent that night drying gear/seats/clothes with box fans in our cabins.

I dont have a lot of pics for Sunday.....We launched at a spot I knew...Theres a road bed 20 yards from the stump field...I paddled out against the 25-30 mile wind....Made on cast with a Crig and said ''**** this!!!''
Then drifted to another area....I was freezing and my fingertips were on fire!!!.....The only way to hold position was with clipping to stumps (unless you dont mind throwing an anchor away).....But cold wind would send water under the side and freeze your a$$.....

A few solid fish were caught though!...One was off the road bed I mentioned...He was smarter and clipped to a stump and hit it at a different angle and pulled up a 3 and a 5er......

So although the weather sucked and all my crap is still drying...and I was SKUNKED all weekend....I still had an incredible time!!
And even though I got skunked,I got something even better....Chad wanted to see my Lime green / grey rod I built not too long ago...Lime green is his company color scheme and we talked about that rod a few months back.....He loved the rod, and commission me to build him a frog rod plus one for the KBF Chamionships in March.....Then, he paddled by me while fishing and said hey, lets go shoot a spot on the show for your rods
and we did,and I cant express how humbled and grateful I was for that....
It was awkward,haha....But man, what a surprise.
We made plans to come back in April for redemption....Ill be looking forward to that....Fork was tough for me all year in the kayak so Im hoping the spring will turn it around.....Anyways, It great experience..Breakfast provided some great laughs and story telling....Driving home with a mildew smelling car and soaking wet seats was well worth the memory!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.