Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-05, 09:50 PM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Interesting article on BASS

Jay Yelas speaks out-interesting take.

http://www.bassfan.com/Opinion_article.asp?ID=47
Old 09-04-05, 09:57 PM   #2
WTL

Gutsy article and I agree with the basic premise. Its been a year or two since I sat down and read a bassmaster, I got tired of what I considered were advertisements disguised as articles ...has the language become that profane?
Old 09-04-05, 09:59 PM   #3
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

pretty interesting article..........
Old 09-05-05, 09:48 AM   #4
lizardsrule

I now have a heck of a lot of respect for Jay, not that I didn't already. However this shows he's about the right thing, not the money thing.

Lizards
Old 09-05-05, 10:26 AM   #5
HuckFinn
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

Very interesting article
I don't watch much of these shows any more because I want to see fishing not danceing and jumping.
I have noticed the change myself in these shows and just turn them off and go fishing or in the winter work on my gear.
It is also interesting to note the change in not only the sites dealing with fishing but with the people on the sites.
Some of the other sites I belong to have changed also. It used to be the folks were friendly and helpful now they yell and berate people. Some even allow poor crude vulgarity in the posts. Even this site has moved in that direction, although not very far.
I guess I have known that there are still people outthere like Jay who respect the "game" the fish, and the people "playing" and watching. I just forgot, that they were out there with all the screaming and such. Family values are a good thing,(IMHO) and fishing always had them. It still does but many of us have forgotten them. Fishing to me has always brought people together. Think about all the times you have walked past someone and not said a word to them. But pass the person on a lake and you start to talk to them. It happened to me the other night, two "biker' looking guys came out of the woods, I didn't say a word to them, until, they pulled out some poles and started fishing, then we were best of friends. That same night, a "yuppie" looking guy came by and we spoke, until he started teaching his puppie to retrieve where I was fishing. Then we yelled.
O K I'll shut up now.
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-05, 11:17 AM   #6
Rebbasser

I'm with you, Huck. There is at least one site I don't go to very often for the reasons you mention. I also don't like all the screaming and dancing-I want to see how they are catching their fish, not some guy break dancing on the front deck of a bass boat. I do like watching the FLW shows-they show fishing without all the hype.
Old 09-05-05, 10:33 PM   #7
basstech

I don't pay any attention to B.A.S.S. Mostly because of the B.A.S.S. federation clubs I've been in. The first one was by far the best. The rest were more like the mentallity of "You suck!!! and I'm the GREATEST!!!". Not very "fun" to be around. Anyway, I could see this coming a long way off. I think a lot of the "Older" pro's saw it coming too. The key phrase I kept hearing back in the late '80's and early '90's is "It's becoming too 'competitive'. " I wonder now if they didn't mean,'there are too many jerks trying to grub easy money.' It's good to know there are still guys like Jay Yelas and Mark Davis and a Plethera of other guys still fishing, and even better some of them have the courage to speak up. I remember the reaction many of the other pro's had when "Ike" won that first big tournament, they were b_tching up a storm about it so much so B.A.S.S. magazine had to write an artical about it saying...it's understandable that a guy would be so excited and it is "perfectly acceptable" and that other guys are miffed because it wasn't them...and a bunch of other HOO-HAA!!! Making excuses for poor behaviour is one reason I dropped the mag subscription and the fact they constantly repeat the same 'ol B.S. year after year...you'll all see once you've read them for about 5 yrs. They just find different ways to tell the same 'ol B.S. not that once in a while they do introduce a new technique...or a new spin on an old technique....like Drop-shotting. People been fishing that way for decades, they just didn't have "speacialized" equipment for it and they used the same lead weights that they used for ten other applications as well. Yelas ROCKS!!!
Old 09-06-05, 02:30 PM   #8
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

i left a comment for the editors or whoever is going to read it. these guys act like this is the first fish they have ever caught. thats what they are supposed to do.
Old 09-07-05, 05:14 AM   #9
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

WTL

You noticed that too. Just like everything else as far as sports is concerned. You get the big money in to the sport and alot of things go to the wayside. Shoot look at some of the boats with there wraps. EVEN if I had the money aint no way in h^%$ I would launch one of those at the local lake. Looks like a floatin billboard without the flourescent lights.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-05, 10:34 PM   #10
flippin4it

I agree with Yales 100% , bass fishing should not and can not be like wraslin'. There is and will only be one "Ike" and lets keep it that way.They seem to show Ike and all the "Flashy" guys instead of the true performers.When was the last time you had seen Nixon or Brauer?I don't know when.But I did see 10 minutes of guy's like Quinn,Ike,Skeet and others battling it out for 30th spot.This is the reason I no longer watch the show.If I need to know something,I'll read it on the internet or but Bassin'.TV these day's is worthless,Next it will be a reality show about Bass fishing. "3 MEN,1 POLE,STAY TUNED!" FLIPPIN4IT
Old 09-09-05, 02:15 AM   #11
bassFishinMover

i love bass fishing, but the shows these days suck. i'll take the old bill dance series, or larry dahlberg's hunt for big fish show.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.