Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 12-21-10, 11:51 AM   #1
SJRB
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Bearing question

A friend of mine just told me that by changing the bearing in a citica that u can pretty much make it a curado. if this is true can anyone tell me what bearing i need to get? thanx alot
SJRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-10, 01:59 PM   #2
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJRB View Post
A friend of mine just told me that by changing the bearing in a citica that u can pretty much make it a curado.
Uhh ..... no

You canīt make a Curado out of a Citica by changing THE bearing, really your pal should read more and do a little more research before just throwing out an opinion like that, no, to make a Curadoish out of a Citica you have to change and add several bearings and after adding the cost of the bearings, shipping nīother expenses, well, you should have purchased a Curado in the first place.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-10, 06:11 PM   #3
Tavery5

First off Welcome to the site SJRB, Glad you stopped in

Your friend is probably referring to the fact that internally the Citica and Curado are identical minus 1 bearing on the end of the drive shaft, the Citica uses a bushing. The PN for the bearing is BNT0031, this being said there are several other differences between the Citica and Curado.

The Curado uses septon grips that are larger and have bearings in them.
The Curado Spool is made of a lighter weight aluminum, the line guide on the Curado has a Titanium insert, the Citica is a SiC insert. The Curado uses brass pins on the brake hub to hold the shoes, the Citica is composite. The only other difference that comes to mind at the time is that the Curado has a metal drag star and the Citica is plastic.

As you can see, adding the bearing does not make it a Curado, but it might help make it a little smoother during line retrieval. My advice is save the money on the bearing and let Pro Reel, supertune it for you. You will see a much greater performance gain by having it tuned.

Last edited by Tavery5; 12-21-10 at 06:18 PM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-10, 07:52 PM   #4
SJRB
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
First off Welcome to the site SJRB, Glad you stopped in

Your friend is probably referring to the fact that internally the Citica and Curado are identical minus 1 bearing on the end of the drive shaft, the Citica uses a bushing. The PN for the bearing is BNT0031, this being said there are several other differences between the Citica and Curado.

The Curado uses septon grips that are larger and have bearings in them.
The Curado Spool is made of a lighter weight aluminum, the line guide on the Curado has a Titanium insert, the Citica is a SiC insert. The Curado uses brass pins on the brake hub to hold the shoes, the Citica is composite. The only other difference that comes to mind at the time is that the Curado has a metal drag star and the Citica is plastic.

As you can see, adding the bearing does not make it a Curado, but it might help make it a little smoother during line retrieval. My advice is save the money on the bearing and let Pro Reel, supertune it for you. You will see a much greater performance gain by having it tuned.
thanx man yea i should of explained myself alittle better i was in a rush before. he was talking about taking the same bearing as in the curado and putting it in the citica. i found the bearing on ebay for 14 bucks. is it still worth doing it?
Old 12-21-10, 07:59 PM   #5
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The Citica and the Curado have the exact same bearings, the only difference with the bearings is that the Curado has more of them. The Current E series Curado has bearings in the handle that make it feel a bit smoother to turn the knobs. It also has a bearing at the bottom of the crankshaft. That bearing does help the crankshaft turn a little easier, but in a blind test, many would not be able to tell the difference. The Curado casts a little easier beacause the spool is lighter. You can make a Citica cast a lot easier by upgrading the spool bearings to a lot better bearing or by doing a super tune or a combination of both, but if you do the same to a curado, it will always cast a bit better because of spool weight. The older Curados and Citicas such as the CU B and CU BSF reels were much more nearly identical and with these reels you could change a few bearings and have pretty much the same reel in a different color.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-10, 08:01 PM   #6
Tavery5

It is probably a matter of opinion, but to me I would not spend the 14 dollars on the bearing. It might make the reel a little smoother on the retrieve but will do nothing to improve casting. I would take the 14 dollars and add a few more dollars, ship it off to Kevin at Pro Reel and let him supertune it for you. You will see/feel much more benefit for the dollar.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 01:43 AM   #7
SJRB
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
It is probably a matter of opinion, but to me I would not spend the 14 dollars on the bearing. It might make the reel a little smoother on the retrieve but will do nothing to improve casting. I would take the 14 dollars and add a few more dollars, ship it off to Kevin at Pro Reel and let him supertune it for you. You will see/feel much more benefit for the dollar.
thank you for ur input but what is this supertune ur talking about?
Old 12-22-10, 08:27 AM   #8
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Supertuning can involve a number of things. But mainly it deals with polishing key components like the spool shaft, parts of the pinion gear, etc. This is what most consider supertuning.

BB
Old 12-22-10, 08:58 AM   #9
pro reel

Lots of polishing with extremly fine grits to produce a mirror finish on parts that generate friction during the cast. It can also include the amount of work done to the stock bearings as with my pro tune that includes an overnight soak in Bocas bearing treatment to fill in microscopic grain in the balls and races. As for the $14 bearing. You would not want to use a $14 bearing on a crankshaft. A $7 stainless bearing would be the best you would ever need to replace or upgrade non spool bearings. The 2 or 3 bearings that are on the spool shaft of a reel are the only bearings that have anything to do with casting and are the only bearings that can benefit from high quality , expensive bearings.
Old 12-22-10, 10:45 AM   #10
Carver
BassFishin.Com Member

I use Revos and Curados. Last spring I bought a Citica just to try it. At first I liked it and it performed pretty well, but after a few months it got rough on the retrieve and it did not cast as well. It is now for sale.
Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 11:01 AM   #11
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carver View Post
I use Revos and Curados. Last spring I bought a Citica just to try it. At first I liked it and it performed pretty well, but after a few months it got rough on the retrieve and it did not cast as well. It is now for sale.
Umm, that's not the reels fault. Instead of selling it, why don't you send it to Pro Reel first. Or, I could give you my address and you could send it to me. Just don't expect to get it back.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 09:23 PM   #12
Carver
BassFishin.Com Member

Sorry but in this case it was the reels fault. That reel just did not have enough use to go down hill that fast and I am not going to spend any money trying to make it run the way it should. I am sure all Citicas do not perform so poorly, but this one did and it was not a good first impression. I will add a few more bucks to what I get for it and buy a Curado 50E. But thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-23-10, 02:10 AM   #13
pro reel

I'm curious, if you had a new reel that costs about $110 to $120 and it was not working properly after just a few months of use, why would you not have sent it in for warranty repair. Shimano has one of the best customer service departments. If the reel was faulty, they would have sent you a new one. If it was simply a matter of dirt or grit somwhere that was causing trouble, they would clean and repair the reel at no charge. I would think that the cost to ship a reel to them during the warranty period would be worth getting a good reel back in good shape. Anyone can get a lemon in any product. All reel companies have warranty dept's due to the fact that they will have a certain percentage of every line they carry that will fail and need replaced or repaired. I actually believe that some of the hard core lovers of certain brands set us up to be let down. We have all seen the posts on numerous forums about how this brand or that brand is the best or bullet proof or this guy has a dozen curados that will cast to the moon and back and reel in fish while he eats a sandwich and drinks a beer. That last statment is directed at a guy i know on another forum that believes God himself designed and built the Curado. People read to many posts like that and they get to thinking that if they just drop the money to buy that reel they will then be able to cast like a pro and never have any reel troubles again, not so. As I stated, all brands will have some reels that have problems, expect it and use the warranty period to get a replacemnet for defective ones, take care of your reels and have them serviced regularly and then they will last a long long time. These are machines and they are far from perfect.
Old 12-23-10, 10:52 AM   #14
Carver
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't disagree with everything you have said, but I do think you have jumped to conclusions. I never trashed the Citica nor Shimano. As a matter of fact I stated that the Curado is a favorite of mine and I said that I don't think all Citicas are poor reels. I made my living for over 45 years as a service tech servicing some very complicated and complex equipment so I do understand that you can get a lemon at times and that does not make everything that is made by that company awful. I could have disassembled that reel and fixed it myself if I would have wanted to. I choose not too. Now this is my opinion and only my opinion, the Citica is not on the same level as any Curado or Revo and that for 50 bucks more I could have bought a Revo SX. Overall the Citica was a disapointment to me but I would have continued to use it if it would have performed as expected. I could not see any reason to fool with that reel any longer. At least I tried it and I do that because I am not blindly devoted to any one reel or brand and will try others. Also I am not going to blame myself for abusing that reel because I have reels that are very old that perform like new because I take care of them and do extensive service on them all every year. Again I am going to clearly state that this is just my personal opinion. My advice to anyone is to buy the best reel you can afford at the time regardless of brand there are many good ones to chose from. But please don't fool yourself and think that you can replace a few parts and make it perform as well as more expensive reels.
Old 12-23-10, 09:57 PM   #15
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carver View Post
I don't disagree with everything you have said, but I do think you have jumped to conclusions. I never trashed the Citica nor Shimano. As a matter of fact I stated that the Curado is a favorite of mine and I said that I don't think all Citicas are poor reels. I made my living for over 45 years as a service tech servicing some very complicated and complex equipment so I do understand that you can get a lemon at times and that does not make everything that is made by that company awful. I could have disassembled that reel and fixed it myself if I would have wanted to. I choose not too. Now this is my opinion and only my opinion, the Citica is not on the same level as any Curado or Revo and that for 50 bucks more I could have bought a Revo SX. Overall the Citica was a disapointment to me but I would have continued to use it if it would have performed as expected. I could not see any reason to fool with that reel any longer. At least I tried it and I do that because I am not blindly devoted to any one reel or brand and will try others. Also I am not going to blame myself for abusing that reel because I have reels that are very old that perform like new because I take care of them and do extensive service on them all every year. Again I am going to clearly state that this is just my personal opinion. My advice to anyone is to buy the best reel you can afford at the time regardless of brand there are many good ones to chose from. But please don't fool yourself and think that you can replace a few parts and make it perform as well as more expensive reels.
I personally can't stand the Revo line. I just so happen to have one (2009 STX) that has 2 days use. I will trade you straight across for your Citica.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 10:16 PM   #16
Carver
BassFishin.Com Member

Cam that sounds like a good deal for both of us. I had an interested buyer but have not heard from him for a while. Let me know how you want to do this.
Old 12-24-10, 11:35 AM   #17
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The other, and to me biggest, difference between the Curado and Citica is the gear ratio. Curado comes in 7:1 and 5:1 Citica is 6.3:1 only.

I hear similar comments all the time that you can take reel A and add such and such and make a reel B. It's rarely if ever that simple. If you want reel B, buy reel B.
Old 12-24-10, 03:41 PM   #18
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
The other, and to me biggest, difference between the Curado and Citica is the gear ratio. Curado comes in 7:1 and 5:1 Citica is 6.3:1 only.

I hear similar comments all the time that you can take reel A and add such and such and make a reel B. It's rarely if ever that simple. If you want reel B, buy reel B.
Exactly, very few times things are simple, most of the time they are not, it involves purchasing and changing parts, add the cost of the parts plus the shipping and if you are not versed in how to disassemble and reassemble a reel add the cost of a profesional ( plus shipping back and forth ) : parts + shipping + pro service = or is > the difference in price between both reels, in my book ---> should have purchased reel B.

The cost and time of conversion sometimes is not worth the effort ( and the money ), there are times that solutions can be simple but those ocassions are rare, let me put you an example, one of my favorite reels is the Chronarch 50 Mg, my only beef with it was the limited spool capacity, 10 lbs > ---> it ainīt gonna hold much line, the solution was changing the spool for one with greater line capacity, solution: Citica/Curado 100 DSV spool, completely compatible and all you have to do is remove the stock shallow spool and drop in the larger capacity spool, so I purchased a couple of extra spools, now I have a reel I like and when I need/want heavier line all I do is change spools.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 05:02 PM   #19
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post

I agree with this almost 100%. If you are shopping for a new reel, try to buy the reel that will be what you want. The exceptions to this would be small affordable upgrades that can be done cheaper than buying a fully loaded reel, or customizing a reel into somthing thats not available at all. The other instance where some of these mods makes great sense is when you got a great deal on a reel thats not exactly what you want, but can be or on reels that you have owned for quite some time and now would rather customize and upgrade them instead of buying new.
Old 01-03-11, 11:22 AM   #20
Carver
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
I personally can't stand the Revo line. I just so happen to have one (2009 STX) that has 2 days use. I will trade you straight across for your Citica.

Cam do you still want to make the trade??
Old 01-07-11, 05:32 PM   #21
Carver
BassFishin.Com Member

Cam I guess we should have figured out you were left handed in the beginning, would have saved us both some time and trouble. Sorry it didn't work out.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.