Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-11, 07:51 PM   #1
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Reel problem

I have a BPS Pro Qualifier reel that I bought off eBay a couple of years ago. It works fine, except for the fact that it doesn't engage the spool when you turn the handle after making a cast. To engage the spool, I have to basically hit the handle with my hand as I start reeling. I've taken it apart, at least as far apart as I'm comfortable with, and cleaned it up, light oiling, a little grease, etc. But it still won't engage.
If I don't pop it with my hand, it makes a clicking noise, like it's trying to engage, but it stays in freespool, and I can hear and feel gears slipping past each other while I turn the handle. I hit the button again and pop the handle, it works fine. But I have to bump it for it to engage. Anybody got any ideas about what to look for to fix it? Thanks.
Old 01-05-11, 08:00 PM   #2
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The most common cause of this problem is dirty parts or a weak spring. There is a sawtooth shped plate under the main gear, it trips a spring loaded lever and that engages the reel. Many times that spring loaded lever will get stuck in a position that the sawtooth gear can't grab it. The cause is old grease or grit around the lever, or a weak / broken spring. If the reel worked before it was taken apart for cleaning, it could be that the sawtooth plate is not fully seated in it's spot on the crankshaft or the spring on the lever is not in it's correct spot. Dissasemble the reel and clean all the parts, then apply fresh oil and grease. Grease should only go in gear teeth and a thin coat wiped on the inside of the frame and covers, everything else gets oil.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-11, 09:21 PM   #3
jig fisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have a reel with the same problem. I took it apart and found a broken dead point spring. It was tiny so and hard to find so when if you take it apart like pro reel said check for that.
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.