Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-09, 08:35 AM   #1
xbassman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 89 16' bass tracker w/25 Johnson questions

I just purchased an 89 16' Bass Tracker Panfish special with 89 25hp Johnson Tracker motor and have some questions I hope someone can answer.
1. Is the livewell in the center of the boat only for your catch or is there a divider where 1/2 is for bait and 1/2 for your catch?
2. When I take the cowl off I can see right into the throat of the carb. I found a loose bolt laying by the carb. and notice the carb has four threaded holes in the front. All this tells me there might be a baffle or something similar that is missing?????
3. Located by the carb. is this round thing with a "red" lever attached to it and some wiring going to and from it. The lever moves or has specific settings. Now the lever is pointing fore and aft. What is this thing and is the lever positioned correctly?
4. I am considering installing an inline fuel filter...good idea???
Thanks for reading and in advance for responding.
xbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-09, 08:49 AM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have almost the same motor and my carb has no screen or anything despite having tapped holes where one could be put.

Probably a good idea installing the filter. Ive been meaning to do that on mine myself. I'm not convinced that ethonol gas is alright for these motors.

I know what you are talking re the round thing, its some sort of primer system. Would love for lazer to explain it cause I'm not sure how it works. Mine leaks a wee bit of gas which is bad, I would almost wanna remove it.

On the livewell, if there isnt a divider there now make one. Lol. Its a boat!

Follow the link for schematics and catolog info.

http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index....3c381a2a589cb7
Old 04-11-09, 09:58 AM   #3
xbassman
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for responding. Thought that round thing had something to do with the elect. choke but still am not sure. Figured when I pushed in the key to choke the red switch would move...not so. Is there a rec. way of starting this motor? Read somewhere you turn on the key, hold it in for 10 sec. then start. It is a hard to start motor, but could be I am not doing something right. My 115 Yamaha has a fast idle lever which helps in starting and a toggle switch for elect. choke. Anyway if you know something about this little 15 I don't let me know. Thanks again.
Old 04-11-09, 10:00 AM   #4
xbassman
BassFishin.Com Member

I ment to say in my reply.....25hp.
Old 04-11-09, 07:24 PM   #5
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Can you post a pic of the round thing in question?

Capt Mike
Old 04-12-09, 07:12 AM   #6
xbassman
BassFishin.Com Member

Think we just fig. it out. When I push in the key to choke, the item in question clicks inside. What my middle son told me is that its a selonoide that shoots extra gas into the carb when a cold start situation is called for. He said the red lever, he thinks, will regulate just how much extra gas is provided for cold start. Thanks for responding to my questions.
Old 04-12-09, 07:22 AM   #7
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thanks for relating what he said. So that is what it does. Now I know. I wonder if I can close it off then until I get the repair part.
Old 04-12-09, 04:03 PM   #8
xbassman
BassFishin.Com Member

Son said, look Dad, the main gas line comes to the solinoid then goes to the carb. I would guess if you plugged the line going into the solinoid that would solve your situation till a replacement part is installed....just a suggestion of course! If you wish to respond, give me a clue as to the plug gap.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.