Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-09, 03:18 AM   #1
geeforcem
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Laser 2500

Hey guys... new to this site. This is a great site u guys have. Hang out on S&F and Byuboyz site mostly..

figured i could post a couple of pics of my recently finished (well..never really finished) 1979 Laser 2500 basser. It's a kevlar hull.. all new floors and transom, carpet, buffed gelcoat. This one took a while..other projects got in the way, but i finally got it back in the water last month. Hung a 1991 2.5 200 Mariner with a nose cone and a 26" chopper and a Rapid Jack 6 in. plate.

needs a few more finishing touches..

jeff
geeforcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 06:31 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

WOW!!!! man good find. Guess you can tell from my sig that I to have a Laser. LOL in fact the same color. Man they produced alot of those lasers with the same color scheme. I know of 7 right now that are still in the water same color....just different lengths. Thanks for the pics now ya gotta let the folks know HOW DO SHE RUN???? I have a purdy good idea but enlighhten us.
Old 08-05-09, 10:34 AM   #3
geeforcem
BassFishin.Com Member

hey 1fast...yup i knew you would like it. I've seen you post on Scream and Fly and ByuBoyz. In fact a long time ago i think i messaged you about one of your Lasers.

I've only had time to take it out for a couple of hours... just trying to get acquainted with the hull. The boat comes out of the hole quick and sets up nice. You can feel the boat get up on the pad and hold very well. I ran it up to 6000rpms and still had 3/4 throttle left with the 26" chopper. No speedo yet.. getting a gps soon. I have the engine set with the point of the nose cone even with the pad. Runs excellent at neutral trim. I'll be going out soon again and will keep updates!

Yes.. you are right. I have seen quite a few of this color combo. THese old Lasers are great hulls. If you look at the old Hydra-Sport 168/178vee's, the hulls are almost identical with a few change... Summerford worked with Hydra Sports in the early days before the start up of Laser. I have found another... may try to pick it.

I also have an LTV comp boat and a 160v ski boat. THe LTV has a 2.0 Merc and the 16' has a 115 inline (soon to be 2.0 V6!!)

Do you or anyone else on here have some pics of your Lasers on here? I always love to see more!

Jeff
Old 08-05-09, 03:31 PM   #4
geeforcem
BassFishin.Com Member

haha..correction....

...at 6000rpm, it still had a quarter throttle left... it will probably turn this prop 7000+

jeff
Old 08-05-09, 03:58 PM   #5
Abbeysdad

what keeps it on the water?
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 04:38 PM   #6
geeforcem
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
what keeps it on the water?

funny you say that....

back when i was a kid and saw these boats brand new at the tournaments, it wasn't uncommon to see a lone fisherman with an 80lb. sand bag sitting in the passenger seat.

These boats are weight sensitive...I put my battery(s) along with any extra weight i can on the port side to counter my weight.

jeff
Old 08-05-09, 04:58 PM   #7
geeforcem
BassFishin.Com Member

Talking

if you look carefully at this pic..you can see the steering wheel and seat positioning is closer to the center than most boats, yet it is still a side seater...

all the deck/storage lids were made of aluminum..much lighter than the comparable fiberglass lids... along with the kevlar, this makes the boat pretty lightweight for it's size. It's a 17 footer.

Also, if you look at the transom near the pad, there was more setback built into the hull than most of the boats at the time... along with a 24" transom height vs. 20-22" for the typical bassboat. There are also some little tricks in on the bottom that Summerford put in. All this makes for a pretty fast hull...even by today's standards.

Back in '79-81, My uncle had a hydra-sports 178vee... very similar hull to this Laser. He ran a '79 merc 200 and then an '82 Merc 200... engine raise 2 in. off the transom and with the very same 26" chopper i am using now. That boat was also kevlar reinforced but was a true 18 footer. Back then he could get about 74mph turning 6200rpm.

With todays setups and props, i think i'll be up in the 80's somewhere...

jeff
Old 08-06-09, 07:00 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

Yeah Ole Summerford has built some mighty fast and fine boats fer sure. I just cant imagine what he is doing building da boats he is now........talk about a 180 degree turnaround. Anyways I have several several pics of Lasers when I get some more time I will post em up.
Glad you told abbysdad bout the weight thing. Alot of times I ferget to post that up. I am setting or helping setup a 19ftr as we speak. Just waiting on him to get me some more numbers.
Yeah abby....the faster the boat the more you gotta play wif da weight and WHERE to put it.
On the Laser I am working on right now weight is gonna BE VERY CRUCIAL. I gotta 16ftr that am putting some serious ponies on. After I yanked the cap I kinda redesigned the bilge area with the help of ole TREX. It oughta be a fun ride especially when I run by a 20' Skeeter like he was on da trailer.....Gotta LUV IT!!!!!
Old 08-06-09, 08:48 AM   #9
Abbeysdad

I guess I don't understand 'the need for speed' in a fishing boat - perhaps like the old Indian that just wants good food, a warm fire and a smoke now and then, I'm coming to a point where I just want time to slow down some so I can enjoy the moments. It seems like some of you fellas got an awful big motor pushing a small boat way fast across the water. The fish will still be there if you get there 5 minutes later!
Oh okay, I guess in a tournament there's a race to the best fishin hole, but I think it's about the catch, not the rooster tail that gets there!

....Just sayin

(but don't listen to me...so far I haven't been much of a threat to any fishes around here! Like the woodchuck that raids my garden, they just laugh at me!)

Now them there hydroplane boats....wow, unless they catch air and launch skyward.

Old 08-06-09, 09:32 AM   #10
geeforcem
BassFishin.Com Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
Yeah Ole Summerford has built some mighty fast and fine boats fer sure. I just cant imagine what he is doing building da boats he is now........talk about a 180 degree turnaround. Anyways I have several several pics of Lasers when I get some more time I will post em up.
Glad you told abbysdad bout the weight thing. Alot of times I ferget to post that up. I am setting or helping setup a 19ftr as we speak. Just waiting on him to get me some more numbers.
Yeah abby....the faster the boat the more you gotta play wif da weight and WHERE to put it.
On the Laser I am working on right now weight is gonna BE VERY CRUCIAL. I gotta 16ftr that am putting some serious ponies on. After I yanked the cap I kinda redesigned the bilge area with the help of ole TREX. It oughta be a fun ride especially when I run by a 20' Skeeter like he was on da trailer.....Gotta LUV IT!!!!!
I know all too well about those 16' lasers... mine is super weight sensitive, especially being a side by side seat ski hull. If i just lean one way or another while driving it affects the boat. I could make it a center single seat but i kinda prefer the side by side look. Again, i just shift the weight around in the hull
Old 08-06-09, 09:43 AM   #11
geeforcem
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
I guess I don't understand 'the need for speed' in a fishing boat - perhaps like the old Indian that just wants good food, a warm fire and a smoke now and then, I'm coming to a point where I just want time to slow down some so I can enjoy the moments. It seems like some of you fellas got an awful big motor pushing a small boat way fast across the water. The fish will still be there if you get there 5 minutes later!
Oh okay, I guess in a tournament there's a race to the best fishin hole, but I think it's about the catch, not the rooster tail that gets there!

....Just sayin

(but don't listen to me...so far I haven't been much of a threat to any fishes around here! Like the woodchuck that raids my garden, they just laugh at me!)

Now them there hydroplane boats....wow, unless they catch air and launch skyward.

It's all good Abbysdad! You are absolutely right... the fish don't care how fast we get there. I could fish just as well in any other rig fast or slow..and have many times. But that's the beauty of the life that we live. We have all these choices. That's what makes these forums so interesting.. we get to share our experiences...if we all did the same.. what's the fun of talking about it.

This is something i just love to do. It's a challenge for me...i actually build all my own engines from junk engines. The hull is one i rescued from someone's used car lot.. it needed lots of restoration. And now it's something i can be proud of.
Old 08-06-09, 11:59 AM   #12
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:

....Just sayin

I understand and agree, Dad. But I have to admit I have kind of picked up the desire to go a little faster than when I first started with my boat this year. My boat only goes about 45 in perfect conditions, but when I first got it, I was just about clueless on handling waves and other boats' wakes. I would end up doing 20mph all the way down the lake. I didn't think I would ever want to go faster than 45 mph. Now I am definitely looking for more motor for my boat so I can try out 60. Faster? Can't say I won't do it. But having been through some bad car wrecks in my life, I will always have respect for speed and safety.
Old 08-06-09, 01:29 PM   #13
Abbeysdad

Okay, but 'dad' says lets be careful out there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEET...layer_embedded

Seems to me this fella barely had control in the other runs before he hit the other boats wake. Dern lucky he's around to talk about his foolishness.

Footnote: btw, gotta wonder with another boat right there filming him, how it is they mention he was in the water 10 minutes and the vest/lanyard saved his life.... Gee, if you're ever filming someone and things go wrong, put the dern camera down and help the guy!

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 08-06-09 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-06-09, 03:29 PM   #14
nofearengineer

Quote:

Seems to me this fella barely had control in the other runs before he hit the other boats wake. Dern lucky he's around to talk about his foolishness.

Footnote: btw, gotta wonder with another boat right there filming him, how it is they mention he was in the water 10 minutes and the vest/lanyard saved his life.... Gee, if you're ever filming someone and things go wrong, put the dern camera down and help the guy!

We've all seen that video a few times, and yeah, that guy was very foolish to jump a wake at that speed. Oh, we silly boaters....

If you read the comments below the video, they answered the 10 minute question. He was indeed in the water for 10 minutes...while they were helping him. They had to make sure he was "structurally sound" before they lifted him out of the water. The same way they don't move trauma victims until they take inventory and stabilize the spine and neck.
Old 08-06-09, 03:59 PM   #15
Abbeysdad

Quote:
We've all seen that video a few times,
oh wow - didn't know you were all together out there!
I was making the Bobcat Goldsmith -> Rodney King reference.
lol

(Not sure how they diagnosed a cracked sternum, broken ribs and almost broken neck and collar bone while he was in the water - but no matter. In any event real good thing that lanyard was connected and worked).

Come to think of it, do you guys routinely use the kill switch lanyard?

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 08-06-09 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-06-09, 04:44 PM   #16
MississippiBoy

I ALWAYS have the kill switch attached to me somehow. I don't care if I'm just idling 50 yards from one side of the river to the other, if the big motor's on, I've got the lanyard on.

By the way, the guy in that video was about 5 minutes from my house when that happened. That's what you get when you drive beyond your abilities.
Old 08-06-09, 07:48 PM   #17
nofearengineer

Quote:
oh wow - didn't know you were all together out there!
I was making the Bobcat Goldsmith -> Rodney King reference.
lol

(Not sure how they diagnosed a cracked sternum, broken ribs and almost broken neck and collar bone while he was in the water - but no matter. In any event real good thing that lanyard was connected and worked).

Come to think of it, do you guys routinely use the kill switch lanyard?
I get the impression you thought I was being a smart a$$...sorry, I wasn't...it just came out that way. I get that a lot hehe.

I didn't mean they diagnosed him in the water. I just meant they took 10 minutes to make sure his head was still attached right, and he could still feel his feet and hands, etc. You get the idea.

Now back to being an a-hole...who the heck is Bobcat Goldsmith?
Old 08-06-09, 11:43 PM   #18
geeforcem
BassFishin.Com Member

Always respect the speed and water... I always wear life jackets and kill switches and will only open it up when conditions are safe and no boat traffic around.

I build race cars for a living and race myself too. At our shop, safety is NUMBER 1 priority
Old 08-07-09, 07:11 AM   #19
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Now back to being an a-hole...who the heck is Bobcat Goldsmith?
yer right aye - got his last name wrong (sorry bobcat Goldthwait, but Goldsmith is a good name too!) ....still "if you see me getting beat up by the police, put the camera down and help me" in that squeaky voice.
Old 08-07-09, 04:20 PM   #20
ally260
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeforcem View Post

Do you or anyone else on here have some pics of your Lasers on here? I always love to see more!

Here's a couple links ta mine Jeff. My home computer took a dump and I lost all my stuff, (reason for tha link ta another thread and another site...)
http://www.bassfishin.com/bass-boats...laser-2550-87/

http://www.bassboatmagazine.com/showthread.php?t=1839
ally260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 07:56 PM   #21
geeforcem
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey Ally...

sweet boat for sure! I've seen your pics on S&F... I've been looking for that same cowling for mine to make it 'period correct'! Those newer 2500's are also on my list future boats to have!

jeff
Old 08-07-09, 10:04 PM   #22
nofearengineer

Hehe...sweet lookin old Merc there. I remember my jerk stepdad used to moan and groan about Mercs like that way back when..."yeah, they're popular, but they stop making parts for them after a few years...."..."Johnson is a much better motor..." etc. On and on and on....

I'm pretty sure they all make good motors, but I'm sure it would tick him off to know I drive a Mercury.
Old 08-07-09, 10:34 PM   #23
CMorg

Quote:

What an idiot..
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 10:35 PM   #24
CMorg

The boater , not you.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 07:39 AM   #25
ally260
BassFishin.Com Member

Jeff, I've got a '79 thats completly torn apart waitin' on me ta start on. I like tha inside on it better than tha '85 (steering, rod locker) for makin' more of a hot rod than a fishin' boat. One thing ya might wanna look at on yours is tha way tha livewell opens. A little ruff water and any kinda speed it will get ya wet in a hurry if its got water in it.
I might turn tha formula cowl loose in tha near future if your interested. Always glad ta see someone keepin' tha ole' Lasers on tha water. Good job...............T

Just a note. Get ya a GOOD gearcase soon...................

Last edited by ally260; 08-08-09 at 07:49 AM.
ally260 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.