Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-13-09, 02:36 PM   #1
TRUMAN BASSER
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Ice Cold Cranking

Just because the water is in the upper 30’s to 40’s doesn’t mean that you can’t have success on a crankbait. The key is all in location and the retrieve. Some of the most productive places to toss a crankbait this time of the year are chunk rock banks and bluff end points. The best points seem to be those that have rock going all the way out to around 12 feet. You want to try and find the rock that is baseball sized and rock that is basketball sized in close proximity to deeper water. Bass will move up out of that deep water to feed on crayfish in the rocks and a crankbait rooting around will get the bass to react. When searching for these cranking hotspots it is important to try and keep the sun at your back. These areas will warm up the quickest and are usually the most productive. The wind is often times your friend so if you see a windy point with some rock make sure to give it a shot.

A couple of crankbaits that seem to work well this time of year are a Storm Wiggle Wart, a Bomber 7 A, and a Rapala Shad Rap. I like the brn crawl, hot crawl, and the phantom green in a wiggle wart. The red crawl and fire tiger works well in the Bombers. This time of year a crawlfish pattern shad rap also does good and the minnow color with the black back. I throw these cranks on 8 to 10 pound test line. I’ve been having success with 8 as of late. I’m not a fan of the flouro because it doesn’t seem to deflect as much as the mono. You get hung up a lot more on the rocks if your cranking with flouro instead of mono. I like to use a slower 6.31 Diawa or Abu Revo reel to do most of my cranking because I can give the crank just a slow steady retrieve without moving it too quick. All I want the bait to be doing is crashing into the rocks. I will ocassionally pause the bait for a couple of seconds and then start to reel again. You don’t want to make reel eratic starts and stops like you would during the summer time. The key is slow and steady.

My rod of choice is an AiRRUS Copperhead Cranking stick at least 7 foot in length. I want to be as efficient in covering water as possible so I use the 7 foot rod to make really long casts. The rod also has the right action and feel that I can feel a bass when he hits. Early in the year the bass will still swallow your crank but you won’t feel anything except a change in the vibration. Whatever rod you choose to throw your crankbait on make sure you have enough sensitivity to feel the light biters.
TRUMAN BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-09, 02:43 PM   #2
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

This is all very true and works great. It's kind of tough to slow down when it gets colder after speeding baits all summer. I sometimes catch myself moving the bait a little too fast. This is where a 5.1:1 gear reel will help.

Thanks for the good tips Truman.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 10:13 AM   #3
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

thats is a great post.... i really dont associate cold water with cranbait weather..... opened my eyes a little but more..... just crankin aint my best area.... got to get better tho
Old 03-14-09, 10:50 AM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Great thread! I heard about this a long time ago, but never used it!
Old 03-14-09, 10:57 AM   #5
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thumbs up

Interesting. Thanks for taking the time.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.