Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-10-09, 10:14 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Fishing Fast in Clear Water

I was reading an article in a Musky magazine about this, and I think it would apply to bass as well.

If you think about this, it makes sense. In clear water, prey fish has to move fast to avoid getting eaten because the predators can see them better in clear water. So it only makes sense that predator fish, like bass, pike, musky, etc, have to move faster to catch their prey.

Now bass and musky are like comparing apples to oranges, but I think this should work. I just think it won't work as often as it will for Musky because they are overall more aggressive. there will still be days that you'll have to slow it down in the bass have a negative attitude.

I do think this is one of the reasons KVD fishes so fast (as stated in another thread). KVD grew up fishing the crystal clear lakes in MI. I've personally been on lakes where you can see the bottom in 10-16' of water. Now that he fishes lakes all over the country, he probably does the same thing on other super clear lakes.

BB
Old 04-10-09, 11:25 AM   #2
bingham
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

yeah i could understand that i also think it would apply to bass, and kvd does fish extremely fast lmao
Old 04-11-09, 03:33 AM   #3
CCbass

The reality is once in his life KVD was told if he slowed down he would catch more fish. He did not listen and look what has happened, speed has a factor yet most of us still fish slow.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-09, 03:50 AM   #4
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think its either/or?

Either you slow down and goes so finessee that a fish on microscopic inspection of the lure still buys it, or

you depend on deception; the idea that you wont let a fish get a good look at the lure cause a;ithe lure is going super fast and it engenders a quick impulse reaction, b;the current is going fast and you get the same thing or c;there is signifigant wave and cover obstruction of the lure. For instance, even in very clear water you can get by with a spoon or spinnerbait because the fish doesnt always have eye contact with the lure - it goes behind strands and comes in to view breifly and thats when the fish smacks it.

I think for many tourney fisherman and myself (not a tourney guy) prefer fast also cause of nerves and the need to cover water. You got to have tons of confidence that there are fish there to slow down.
Old 04-11-09, 02:12 PM   #5
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I grew up fishing the crystal clear waters of my relatives irrigation ponds and the crystal clear water of many of the lakes we have surrounding the city, the rule is: there are no rules.

Like WTL mentioned, it´s either/or and you got to try to find which one works better in a given day, today you murder them reeling a crank or spinner as fast as you can or you murder them the same day by crawling a soft plastic bait at arthritic snail pace or deadsticking a jerkbait.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-09, 08:08 PM   #6
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

and sometimes on days when a cold front has moved through reaction baits may often out perform finesse baits.
Old 04-11-09, 09:18 PM   #7
swimbaitkid

Nothing bad about KVD, but he is way over rated, thats his style, and he does bad if its not a crankbait or spinnerbait bite
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-09, 12:00 AM   #8
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

http://www.kevinvandam.com/about/tips/ nothin about a sb or cb here.

What about Power fishing?
August 2007

People always ask me about being labeled as a “Power fisherman”.
Realize that just because my trolling motor is on high and my boat is moving along pretty fast, it doesn’t mean that my lure is moving fast. In fact, my lure may be sitting perfectly still.
Power finesse is all about efficiency. It’s about making as many quality presentations to prime targets as you possibly can in a limited amount of time.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.