Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-31-09, 09:11 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Spinnerbait blade to weather conditions?

Hey guys,

We've been fishing cloudy, windyish weather lately, and I was wonder what color blades, size blades, and type are best for these conditions? Also I'm fishing light stain, to heavy stain water (I no about the vibration and all for blades and water clarity).

Thanks,

Last edited by Bassboss; 03-31-09 at 09:48 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 09:46 AM   #2
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

for stained water i usually use double gold blades(one willow leaf and one colorado) and for clearer water i use double silver blades(both willow or one of each)
Old 03-31-09, 05:11 PM   #3
bamabassman

what spro said AND also any black or brown with a single big colorado blade. i tend to use darker colors in muddy water. gives a shadow look to the bait. at least i was told to do that all my life, lmao.
Old 03-31-09, 06:23 PM   #4
keithdog

I agree with spro on this one. In fact, I'd go with gold blades under most situations. Or a combo of each.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 07:58 PM   #5
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would use a silver colorado on the shaft and a gold indiana blade for the main blade.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 09:33 PM   #6
JB

all of the above posts are the bread and butter blade choices for the conditions, I 'll throw in another one , a turtle shell blade , kind of mixes it up with more vibs heres a wareagle blade bait

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 09:37 PM   #7
lowrider

monkey made me grab one of those last week. havn't fished it yet but i like the idea of that blade shape for sure.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 09:50 PM   #8
bamabassman

yeah jb, i have looked for those blades and the diamond patterned blades. now i KNOW where to get em, gbassman's buddy can make em for me, hehehehehe.
Old 03-31-09, 10:01 PM   #9
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i am still waiting to see those in a store near me , I'm gonna end up brealing down and ordering them online soon it's def a sweet looking bait .

Jim
Old 03-31-09, 10:26 PM   #10
lowrider

get 'em online! better color choices here

duh, i was just tryin the link trick
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 10:57 PM   #11
WatterBoy

Nice work with the link there, lowrider!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 08:23 AM   #12
Bassboss

Thanks guys! So basically the darker the conditions, the darker blades (gold rather than silver) and more vibration is wanted for cloudy weather?

Thanks guys!
Old 04-01-09, 06:55 PM   #13
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
get 'em online! better color choices here

duh, i was just tryin the link trick
Thanks lowrider I'll be ordering them soon .

Jim
Old 04-02-09, 04:42 PM   #14
Snake2715

Thanks guys for the link.
Old 04-03-09, 10:14 PM   #15
Rebbasser

If it is totally cloudy-no sun at all-I don't throw silver or gold-I throw copper. It seems to outproduce both silver and gold in cloudy conditions. Which is also why I make my own, because you very rarely see copper blades on a stock spinnerbait.
Old 04-12-09, 08:52 AM   #16
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarebass View Post
As far as color on the blades in stained to muddy water, I prefer a gold blade in those cases but have had luck with combinations when nothing else worked. This is a good rule to follow with blades as well as baits. Hope it helps a little.

This is a topic that comes up many times when discussing bass lures, and the proper colors to use. Biologists know that bass can see colors, and they probably can see red and green better than a human. Bass also have better visual acuity, which helps them during daylight and the darker periods of the day near dusk. Although there has been much written about how bass use their lateral line and sense of smell when feeding, their eyes are still their most vital sensory organ.

LURE COLOR AND WATER CLARITY

The clarity of the water is a key factor in determining what color lure to use. In clear water, that is les than five feet deep, bass can see colors extremely well. In these conditions lures that mimic the baitfish available, such as spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, and crankbaits, should be used in silver and gold finishes. The silver and gold flashing more closely resembles a baitfish in this type of water, and as they wobble, and flash, they attract bass from long distances.

When you are using lures such as jigs, tubes, worms, or anything that is designed to resemble a crawfish or an eel, then the best colors would be a subtle green or brown in the clear waters. In stained water, which is what we have the most of here in the Northeast, that is water with a visibility of around one to three feet), different colors may come into play. Brighter colors such as firetiger, charteuse, citrus shad are better producers here. In muddy water, (that is water that has a visibility of one foot or less), dark colors produce the best. Bass will hit on crawfish patterned crankbaits, brown jigs with orange trailers, black and blue plastics, etc.

SKY CONDITIONS AND COLOR

Many people don't pay enough attention to the sky conditions during the day. The changing conditions of the sky dictate what color you should be using.
When fishing minnow type lures, keep in mind that shiny colors like silver and gold loose their effectiveness under heavy cloud cover. In clear water, silver or gold can be rendered nearly invisible when the sun goes behind the clouds, because they reflect the grayness around them instead of the sunlight. When this happens we always switch to a bone or a pearl-white color. Jigs, Creature baits, and other bottom type lures can be hard for bass to see under dark skies. When this happens we use the same browns and blacks that we use in the muddier water, even if the water is clear, but it has become cloudy or very dark.

Chartreuse is another excellent color when its cloudy. We found that Chartreuse is more effective on small lures such as grubs and small crankbaits. We just use it as a secondary color on the larger baits in these conditions. Just the right amount of a bright color such as orange or chartreuse can attract bass, just as too much of a bright color can sometimes turn them off! The best thing to do as a rule is to add bright colors to the baits a little at a time until you determine what the bass want. Once, in Virginia, the bass absolutely wouldn't hit any lig you had unless it had a small fleck of Chartreuse on the trailer. Too much and they ignored it.

ADD FLASH WITH FLAKES

There are many soft plastics that come with different flakes built it. A Yamamoto "IKA" tube in smoke , is a good example. This worked extremely well for us this year in all the rivers and lakes where there were a lot of shad, and the "Sweet Beaver" worked well also, but seemed much better than the Kreature on several occasions when there were not as many shad but more crawfish in the areas we sampled.

Flake colors usually work best when it is sunny in clear to stained water. On cloudy days, or in muddy water, try using different plastics with black flakes, or pepper, mixed in for contrast. There are many other color combinations that work well in various waters all over the country, but if you learn these simple basic techniques for color matching you can't go wrong.
Thanks allot! That was packed with god info!!

Jeeze, bass fishing is getting more and more like math!
Old 04-14-09, 09:03 PM   #17
Bassboss

Quote:
I have an easier solution. I posted a video on this subject for you. Take a look whe you have time to watch. Tight lines and good luck

http://bassfishingstories.webs.com/apps/videos
Thanks allot Delaware!

Really help me out!
Old 04-14-09, 09:21 PM   #18
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post

Jeeze, bass fishing is getting more and more like math!

it is worst then ya think...

zooker
Old 04-14-09, 09:41 PM   #19
bcklash

Quote:
I have an easier solution. I posted a video on this subject for you. Take a look whe you have time to watch. Tight lines and good luck

http://bassfishingstories.webs.com/apps/videos
Looks like a real nice site, got it marked
Old 04-15-09, 02:44 AM   #20
CCbass

The tried and the true, I got told this back in 1982 from a bass pro of the time. Blades, dark (copper, not sure if gold was an option back then ) with more vibration in stained or dirty water or in low light conditions and silver in clear water, vibration not being a factor. Funny something told to me that long age still is the responce from those that know today.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.