Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-12-07, 05:07 PM   #26
ILfishinman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

gunny last night i caught one, i replaced the front hooks with red gammys and that was the one in his mouth, the rear hook was stuck in his cheek, dunno if casue it was red or not but either way, he was hooked good, also sharpened the rear hook cause i didnt replace it
Old 04-12-07, 05:44 PM   #27
commanche
BassFishin.Com Active Member

rat -trap is not best lure out there,i catch more bass on lizards than any lure..weeds and lizrads..sorry got off track..

i also like the SUSPENDING traps over ones than sink..again i use 1/2 size,20 pd test..

i can reel that baby 2 inchs under surface,just over weeds..i use 7 ft med light rod with 7 bearing baitcaster..i like quantum..

perch color one is my favorite..
commanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 06:59 PM   #28
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

[quote=Rebbasser;152570]PnJ, you KNEW that was going to happen when you posted that .[/quote/]

I forgot this is Lizards we're talking about. Sorry Lizards. I am liking this bait alot, for over weeds, wind blown banks, skinny water areas. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 07:20 AM   #29
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

if you replace the hooks?.. what color to use?
MrPhotographer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 10:55 AM   #30
Gunny BBS
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post
if you replace the hooks?.. what color to use?

I usually use a red Matsua sickle number 4 treble!! I have tried alot of different hooks on traps, and that sickle is by far the best I have use.
PRO's Soft~Bait Glue
Cooks Go to Tackle Systems
HeavyCover.com
Gary Yamamoto Cust Baits

Gunny BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 08:10 PM   #31
commanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny BBS View Post
I usually use a red Matsua sickle number 4 treble!! I have tried alot of different hooks on traps, and that sickle is by far the best I have use.
do you feel a red hook matters on rat-trap?deep down ,i feel at speed that trap is moved that a bass would care less..bass, i feel just sees flash of color, sound and wiggle ..

i can sharpen a stock hook on trap and they will work fine,but i agree some of the other hooks like TRIPLE GRIP REALLY stick a bass..

they will stick you too..with a trap or crank bait i always hold a bass by the edge of his gill,not mouth..

i saw some awful injurys with both lures in tournaments i fished over 35 years..all i can say is GASTLY..
Old 04-17-07, 09:07 AM   #32
Gunny BBS
BassFishin.Com Member

Red face

Commanche I don't that it makes a huge difference or any at all, but it can't hurt!! The main reason I take off the hook that come with it, even if you sharpen them, their too small!! I move up one size on both the front and back hooks, if I'm fishing very heavy cover, I just remove the back hook altogether. And I can replace a hook faster then I can sharpen one, and time is money!
PRO's Soft~Bait Glue
Cooks Go to Tackle Systems
HeavyCover.com
Gary Yamamoto Cust Baits

Gunny BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 09:17 AM   #33
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

the red is what i have in the 4 size.. but in the one smaller i have brown.. and i figure just a little bit bigger wouldnt here
MrPhotographer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 09:11 PM   #34
commanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny BBS View Post
Commanche I don't that it makes a huge difference or any at all, but it can't hurt!! The main reason I take off the hook that come with it, even if you sharpen them, their too small!! I move up one size on both the front and back hooks, if I'm fishing very heavy cover, I just remove the back hook altogether. And I can replace a hook faster then I can sharpen one, and time is money!

i agree..i use my good hooks in tournaments and use regular ones for fun fishing..
Old 04-18-07, 05:57 PM   #35
crab

here is a pic of my traps, and other lipless baits.
crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 06:12 PM   #36
brushhog

Default Crab

Crab, what is the one on the lower left? It almost looks like it has a dorsal??? How do you fish it? What is the action like? Ignore this post if the dorsal is an optical illusion....
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 08:15 PM   #37
commanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by crab View Post
here is a pic of my traps, and other lipless baits.
when everyone is throwing the TRAPS ,i see you have 2 RAPALAS..throw raps right behind others and watch them get mad ..
i do it all time,different sound and wiggle..
Old 04-19-07, 08:03 PM   #38
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
Crab, what is the one on the lower left? It almost looks like it has a dorsal??? How do you fish it? What is the action like? Ignore this post if the dorsal is an optical illusion....
They are old Heddon super sonics. Probably the first rattle trap type lure ever made. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 09:45 PM   #39
crab

pig n jig is correct,they are sonics and the big one is a super sonic. Ill try that commanche!
crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 09:08 AM   #40
RSAbassboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Here's what i usually do.. dunno if it will help you guys though lol. I mainly fish a lipless crankbait just above suspended grass/reeds. i try to drop it into the "holes/pockets" and bring it up again and continue. Every now and then i will deliberately get it stuck on the tip of the grass and then "jerk" it until it comes off. THIS is when i get most of my strikes. My favourite colours are baby bass, bluegill and a bright red one (Tomato red, red crawfish etc) depending on what time of the year it is and the water clarity. good fun!

Old 04-29-07, 08:18 PM   #41
commanche

that looks like RAP..great info..i do same but i cut the treble off the bottom of hook so i just have 2 pointing up..
some take the rear hook off too..
Old 04-30-07, 09:44 AM   #42
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I had the best fishing day in more than three years yesterday using a Frenzy lipless crankbait at a local pond. I caught 44 little males and three huge females with massive bellys. Just ripping it out of the grass, I got hits on it almost every cast. I finally lost the bait after four and a half hours. It was awesome.
Old 04-30-07, 09:14 PM   #43
commanche

boy, that was great day..never had one that good here in pa..fishing pressure is getting tough and bass are being kept..

sounds like bass are on beds there..we try to leave bass alone here until june 15th on spawning..take care
Old 05-01-07, 06:50 AM   #44
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

The fish were all pretty far from shore on a weed edge on the southeast side of the pond, I think most will spawn around June's full moon. I was standing on concrete rubble that allowed me to cast over the cattails. I was using 20lb. Yozuri Hybrid that bends out hooks on my jerkbaits when I snag trees.

The weird thing about this pond is that the county opened it to the public in '05 and everyone knows the land used to belong to a construction company that got into trouble for dumping contaminents. Locals tell me of a chemical fire there in the early nineties. A friend of mine kept some bluegill from there and said that the meat's fat lines (you know how it looks like thin white webbing, normally) were black. There was no health warning when they announced the opening in the paper. The bass look healthy and there's a ton in there, with a few bruisers. I just let everyone I see down there hear what I've heard.
Old 05-06-07, 10:50 AM   #45
bassnman30

ILfishinman,
Get a large size set of split ring pleirs (with the red handle covering) and file down the tip to a point. This enables you to get into the area that was previously unaccessible.
Old 05-06-07, 01:35 PM   #46
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

rasa
two questions
#1 think you could resize that monster??

#2 who makes that rod??

zooker
Old 05-06-07, 02:29 PM   #47
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

here ya go zooker

Last edited by JB; 05-06-07 at 02:39 PM.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.