Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-01-09, 01:55 AM   #26
hookset on 3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default South Florida Ponds

Hello Bassboss, Looking at your illustration reminds of many Florida bodies of water I have fished over the years.
My first thought when I saw those mats of sorta slimy vegetation was maybe a weedless frog or an unwieghted soft plastic.Not to get off the "jig topic" but that type of weed growth is tough with a falling jig or worm. That slime will gather at the line tie alot.
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Thanks to all that replied!

I think I'll have some more success with jig now!

I keep hear the you should cast (flip pitch) it cover, bump it a few times, and then bring it up. Well since I'll a shore huger, What if I had two "lanes" of mates, and than a deeper part in between, with no mats. Should I cast to the edge of the far lane bump it hop it, and than pull it to the next lane.

Also if I was fishing mats that were say 10 feet apart, should I cast to the far mat, bump it, and than bring it to the next closest, than the next closest, and so on.

Hope you can understand my illustration!
hookset on 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 09:53 AM   #27
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Welcome to the Nut-House hookset!

Figuring I make jigs, I should have some tips on fishing them but unfortunately, I don't. Which is one reason I started making jigs. That is one thing I really want to get better at this year. These tips are great guys, I can't wait to fish my football jigs in one of reservoirs near me this spring.

BB
Old 03-01-09, 09:55 AM   #28
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Oh, Since I only make football jigs, I do have some other jigs or flipping and pitching grass and such. Like everyone said a triangular or bullet shapped head works the best. I like Booyah's Boo jig. Their new AJig or whatever theycall it looks nice too, but only 30 strands of living rubber... a little skimpy.

As for trailers, I really like Powerbait's chigger chunk. I'll use the 3" chigger craw sometimes if I want a bigger profile.

BB
Old 03-01-09, 02:21 PM   #29
hookset on 3

Default Jigs

BB144, thanks for the new welcome.
I too like the Boo jig. Booyah makes good products, even if they are mass-produced. Anyway, their flippin jigs swim thru weeds nicely because of that triangular head you guys talked about. I like the vertical line tie and the sloping flat bottom for gliding after the lift.
Oh, on the skimpy skirt thing, check out Dirty Jigs Tackle .com for some of the fullest looking skirts I've seen. They use up to 10 different colored strands to make theirs.
hookset on 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 02:41 PM   #30
Jigger

Quote:
I got a few questions on fishing jigs.

I've never had luck fishing jigs. I've gotten different colors, weights, brands, etc. How do I work them? By that I mean, how do I imply the action? Just as I would with a worm, or any other plastic? What color's you fave?

Thanks,

Bassboss,
BB,
You seem to be mainly fishing one lake?? I've seen lakes that for some reason a jig doesn't work too well on. Yours may be one of them. A jig is supposed to mainly imitate a crawfish and if your lake doesn't have crawfish it may not be too effective. If you've got a lot of silver or white colored bait fish like shad, try swimming a white jig with a white trailer. I mainly use a 3/8 oz jig with a Zoom Super Chunk trailer. My favorites are Blue/black or brown/orange in stained water and green pumpkin or watermelon in clear with Blue/black and Green Pumpkin getting the call most of the time.

And yeah, that's pretty accurate to say you fish it kind of like you would a worm and pretty much in the same places. Pitch it out, hop it, drag it or swim it. Like the others have said, you won't get the bites you do on a 7 inch worm but you'll get some really quality bites. However there is a lake I fish on where the dinks will eat my jig as well as they do a worm.

If the fish on your lake don't like a jig, try it somewhere else. Most lakes have a jig bite but I've fished a few where a jig is a bad choice. The jig is my go-to bait. I always start with a jig on a new lake and go from there. It takes confidence to fish a jig. Stay at it. It's my favorite bass bait. There's nothing as thrilling as the "thump" of a jig bite or watching the line jump or move off slowly.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 08:38 PM   #31
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
BB,
You seem to be mainly fishing one lake?? I've seen lakes that for some reason a jig doesn't work too well on. Yours may be one of them. A jig is supposed to mainly imitate a crawfish and if your lake doesn't have crawfish it may not be too effective. If you've got a lot of silver or white colored bait fish like shad, try swimming a white jig with a white trailer. I mainly use a 3/8 oz jig with a Zoom Super Chunk trailer. My favorites are Blue/black or brown/orange in stained water and green pumpkin or watermelon in clear with Blue/black and Green Pumpkin getting the call most of the time.

And yeah, that's pretty accurate to say you fish it kind of like you would a worm and pretty much in the same places. Pitch it out, hop it, drag it or swim it. Like the others have said, you won't get the bites you do on a 7 inch worm but you'll get some really quality bites. However there is a lake I fish on where the dinks will eat my jig as well as they do a worm.

If the fish on your lake don't like a jig, try it somewhere else. Most lakes have a jig bite but I've fished a few where a jig is a bad choice. The jig is my go-to bait. I always start with a jig on a new lake and go from there. It takes confidence to fish a jig. Stay at it. It's my favorite bass bait. There's nothing as thrilling as the "thump" of a jig bite or watching the line jump or move off slowly.
Thanks jigger!

I don't know if the pond has craw fish, I won't ever be sure unless I see one, or keep a bass, It's C & R only on that lake, there's a sigh that says catch and release only.

Thanks again!
Old 03-12-09, 10:24 AM   #32
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It will be HARD to find a lake or pond especally in florida that doesn't have crayfish. Thats the reason a jig is such a good bait, there are crayfish virtually everywhere.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 12:50 PM   #33
Jigger

Quote:
Thanks jigger!

I don't know if the pond has craw fish, I won't ever be sure unless I see one, or keep a bass, It's C & R only on that lake, there's a sigh that says catch and release only.

Thanks again!
Just look in their mouth. You'll often see crawfish feelers/antennas sticking out of their throat. You don't need to clean one.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-09, 03:59 PM   #34
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Boss,
When the grass grows to the top and you need to punch through it to get to the bass you need to get a heavier jig. Probably a 1/2 to a 1 1/2 oz to get down under the mat. Also fishing grass I've gone with the Yum or Paca Craws (use whatever brand you prefer) that are threaded on.
Here's a photo of a 1 oz Grass Jig and two 1.5 oz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	103_0573.JPG
Views:	465
Size:	400.6 KB
ID:	3287   Click image for larger version

Name:	103_0585.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	3288  
Old 03-13-09, 05:30 PM   #35
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Boss,
When the grass grows to the top and you need to punch through it to get to the bass you need to get a heavier jig. Probably a 1/2 to a 1 1/2 oz to get down under the mat. Also fishing grass I've gone with the Yum or Paca Craws (use whatever brand you prefer) that are threaded on.
Here's a photo of a 1 oz Grass Jig and two 1.5 oz.
Thanks kicker! I'll have to go to gander and get some heavy jigs! The heaviest that have at my wall mart is 1/4? Geeze, dose anybody at wall mart bass fish!

What color is best for grass, same thing right..... black/blue.
Old 03-13-09, 10:11 PM   #36
OrygunBasser

I've been lurking on this thread and reading through it all and will add just a little something now.

As for the black and blue in the above thread, I would do that in dingy water but if the water is clear I would go to more natural colors.

On to presentation.

Without going into a lot of detail, I find that mostly I can't fish a jig slow enough at times. I mean very little movement, it doesn't take much to make it look alive and crawfish or crawdads or whatever you call them move very slowly unless molested. While you are at the boat ramp or a swimming pool, watch your jig in the water. Just a very slight movement will make it look alive. "ALLWAYS KEEP A TIGHT LINE", I am changing over ever so slowly to the hair and feather type jigs. I like the very slow movement they make. Now, with that said, I swim a jig also and there are times when I will move a jig very slowly and then quickly jerk it off the bottom and hang on as that will trigger a bass sometimes when nothing else will.

Pretend you are playing with your pet cat right after he has eaten a big meal. They do not want to play but if you mess with him long enough he will eventually swat at it!!! Small bass are like kittens, they will play with about anything, big Bass are like grown cats, they just do not want to expend anymore energy than they have too.. Say, that's just like me!!!
Old 03-13-09, 10:15 PM   #37
bamabassman

good info pal. i see what you are saying. just kinda barely twitch it huh? hmmmmmmmm. maybe it looks like it is eating the eggs or something? am i on the right path?
Old 03-13-09, 10:30 PM   #38
OrygunBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
good info pal. i see what you are saying. just kinda barely twitch it huh? hmmmmmmmm. maybe it looks like it is eating the eggs or something? am i on the right path?
Absolutly, you can take forever and a day making one cast ans be giving the jig to much action, But don't settle on just this presentation, let the bass tell you what they want.

Let me tell you a funning story and I swear it's true!!

I was fishing a tough open tournament about 25 years ago in august,, (Man I hate it when I talk like that)!. It was a very slow day. I had a young fellow with me that I was teaching the ropes to but he was an excellent student. It was about 12 PM and we decided to go into this cove and have some lunch and decide what we were going to do the rest of the day. I dropped anchore and while we were eating Bill said, " I have a little loop in my spool, I think I will pick it out"! So he cast out into the middle of the cove and started to pick at it and it probably took him about five minutes to do it. He then was reeling the line in and when it came tight, something moved and he instictivly set the hook. That fish was 6 1/2#'s and was the big fish of the tourney. Now, we tried that pattern a few times that afternoon to no avail, but it goes to show you that you can't fish a jig too slowly! Oh, and he didn't tell anyone how he caught it and I didn't either!
Old 03-13-09, 11:07 PM   #39
wv basser
BassFishin.Com Member

same thing with a shakey head. ive pulled bird nest out only to find a fish on the end of my line when i reel the slack up!
Old 03-13-09, 11:12 PM   #40
bamabassman

yes i too have done the exact same thing using a plastic craw, texas rigged. thanks for the input pal. gonna use the jig as much as i can this year. i have made a comitment to do so.
Old 03-14-09, 07:59 AM   #41
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrygunBasser View Post
I've been lurking on this thread and reading through it all and will add just a little something now.

As for the black and blue in the above thread, I would do that in dingy water but if the water is clear I would go to more natural colors.

On to presentation.

Without going into a lot of detail, I find that mostly I can't fish a jig slow enough at times. I mean very little movement, it doesn't take much to make it look alive and crawfish or crawdads or whatever you call them move very slowly unless molested. While you are at the boat ramp or a swimming pool, watch your jig in the water. Just a very slight movement will make it look alive. "ALLWAYS KEEP A TIGHT LINE", I am changing over ever so slowly to the hair and feather type jigs. I like the very slow movement they make. Now, with that said, I swim a jig also and there are times when I will move a jig very slowly and then quickly jerk it off the bottom and hang on as that will trigger a bass sometimes when nothing else will.

Pretend you are playing with your pet cat right after he has eaten a big meal. They do not want to play but if you mess with him long enough he will eventually swat at it!!! Small bass are like kittens, they will play with about anything, big Bass are like grown cats, they just do not want to expend anymore energy than they have too.. Say, that's just like me!!!
Great info Ory! I'll be sure to use it out on the field!
Old 03-14-09, 08:01 AM   #42
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv basser View Post
same thing with a shakey head. ive pulled bird nest out only to find a fish on the end of my line when i reel the slack up!
That's how I caught my pb this year.. 6.23lbs! If that don't show dead sticking works than I dunno what will!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.