Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-10-09, 10:14 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Knowing when to throw a spinnerbait vs. a swimmin' jig?

Wondering if I should throw a spinnerbait, or a swimmin' jig with a rattle? Here's the scenario: I've got lightly stained water, with hyrilla and reeds, cloudy weather, air temps 75-80*, main forage is bluegills, tilapia, and minnows, fishing in a pond from shore!

And also, what are the conditions when you would wanna throw a spinnerbait, over a swimmin' jig, or visa versa? And what trailers do you like for swimmin' jigs?

Thanks guys,

Bassboss

Last edited by Bassboss; 04-10-09 at 10:28 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-09, 11:20 AM   #2
bingham
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

http://www.bassfishin.com/fishing-videos/jig-fishing/
http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...light=swim+jig
http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ow+spinnerbait
Old 04-10-09, 03:31 PM   #3
Kevin
Administrator

Hi Bassboss.. very good question indeed. As you have eluded too... there is a bit of overlap as to the conditions and scenarios you would use either a spinnerbait or swimming a jig.

Obviously the spinnerbait will add the element of flash. Cloudy skies, and some breeze to ripple the water usually are what turn on a spinnerbait bite. A swimming jig can be worked much faster than a spinnerbait because you don't have the drag of rotating blades. I usually fish a swimming jig VERY fast.. reeling in just about as quick as I can. To me, a swimming jig presentation is entirely a reaction bite presentation. So is a spinnerbait in those temperatures (75-80) though, but usually you need to constantly have that spinnerbait hitting cover, or you'll need to be jerking that spinnerbait every 5ft or so to pick up that reaction bite.

I've always tended to fish spinnerbaits more in situations where I'm making longer casts or fishing weeds. Swimming a jig, I believe, can be more effective when dealing with closer cover. The spinnerbait's flash and vibration can draw fish from greater distances. However, the swimming jig is rarely seen by bass, and thus can be the hot ticket at times.

There is no easy way of determining which of the two presentations will be more effective for any given conditions though. I would try both. The chatterbait is another lure to throw in the mix there. Part jig, part spinnerbait, part crankbait, its time and place overlaps with the other two as well.

As for a trailer on a swimming jig, I'm really liking the Roboworm Kickin' Craw. It's a more streamlined trailer than a lot of the THICK craws on the market. The reason I'm liking it more than others is its action is just subtle enough to not make the jig roll to the side when you retrieve it very fast. Those thick pincher craw trailer baits can be a pain at high speeds.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-09, 05:36 PM   #4
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Hi Bassboss.. very good question indeed. As you have eluded too... there is a bit of overlap as to the conditions and scenarios you would use either a spinnerbait or swimming a jig.

Obviously the spinnerbait will add the element of flash. Cloudy skies, and some breeze to ripple the water usually are what turn on a spinnerbait bite. A swimming jig can be worked much faster than a spinnerbait because you don't have the drag of rotating blades. I usually fish a swimming jig VERY fast.. reeling in just about as quick as I can. To me, a swimming jig presentation is entirely a reaction bite presentation. So is a spinnerbait in those temperatures (75-80) though, but usually you need to constantly have that spinnerbait hitting cover, or you'll need to be jerking that spinnerbait every 5ft or so to pick up that reaction bite.

I've always tended to fish spinnerbaits more in situations where I'm making longer casts or fishing weeds. Swimming a jig, I believe, can be more effective when dealing with closer cover. The spinnerbait's flash and vibration can draw fish from greater distances. However, the swimming jig is rarely seen by bass, and thus can be the hot ticket at times.

There is no easy way of determining which of the two presentations will be more effective for any given conditions though. I would try both. The chatterbait is another lure to throw in the mix there. Part jig, part spinnerbait, part crankbait, its time and place overlaps with the other two as well.

As for a trailer on a swimming jig, I'm really liking the Roboworm Kickin' Craw. It's a more streamlined trailer than a lot of the THICK craws on the market. The reason I'm liking it more than others is its action is just subtle enough to not make the jig roll to the side when you retrieve it very fast. Those thick pincher craw trailer baits can be a pain at high speeds.

Thanks allot Kevin! But I have more question! When you're using a swim jig, do you imply a lot of action to it? Twitching the rod, jerking it, what ever.... or just a strait fast retrieve?

Thanks again,

Bassboss!
Old 04-10-09, 06:43 PM   #5
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Thanks allot Kevin! But I have more question! When you're using a swim jig, do you imply a lot of action to it? Twitching the rod, jerking it, what ever.... or just a strait fast retrieve?
I pretty much just reel it straight in as fast as I can. Don't even worry about twitching it or implying any action. You'll be too busy cranking it as fast as you can. Those bass will chase it like a fox after a rabbit.
Old 04-10-09, 10:18 PM   #6
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I pretty much just reel it straight in as fast as I can. Don't even worry about twitching it or implying any action. You'll be too busy cranking it as fast as you can. Those bass will chase it like a fox after a rabbit.
Great!

btw, what gear ration do you use? I got a 6.3:1...

Last edited by Bassboss; 04-10-09 at 10:31 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-09, 10:46 PM   #7
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
btw, what gear ration do you use? I got a 6.3:1...
A ratio of 6.2:1 or faster is best. You'll kill yourself with anything less. Your 6.3:1 will work just fine.
Old 04-11-09, 03:13 AM   #8
CCbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Just my thought but the swimming jig is a farce, I bet 9 times out of 10 another lure will catch as many or more fish in the same situation as a swimming jig. Just because you use a bait different from its intended use does not mean it is more effective then an alternative bait in the same situation.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-09, 09:29 AM   #9
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

So what's a swimming jig's "intended use?" $10 says that a swimming jig is meant to be swam back to the boat.
Old 04-11-09, 10:42 AM   #10
CMorg

Id put a ten spot on it also...but im sure cc knows more than say KVD & Strike King , or any of the other lure makers that make lures for certain uses..
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-09, 10:59 AM   #11
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

To me it just depends on light penetration if I am fishing a lot of grass and it is sunny out the bass will be in the grass. because of that i want to have a darker profile lure. so i will throw a green pumpkin swim jig. In a place with less grass i will throw a spinnerbait. because the flash and lighter color of a swimbait will show up better in sparse grass. another thing try to stay away from shad and lighter color swim jigs. use a spinnerbait in those situations. hope this helps.
Old 04-11-09, 11:24 AM   #12
3dkicker

I tend to throw them when I'm looking for a larger and slower presentation when compared to a spinnerbait. The jig has bulkier skirt and I use a big standard trailer (not a craw). I yo-yo the bait as I swim it along over grass and sometimes drop it into holes in the grass which I don't do with a spinnerbait.
I use a chatterbait in a similar fashion but I don't use a large trailer. I know some use a fluke on the back but I only use a small 2" grub as a trailer. I fish the chatterbait quicker than the jig also.
Another reason you may want to use the swimming jig is if you want to stop the bait and leave it and shake it a little before swimming it off you can do that with the jig and not the spinnerbait. For instance you find a small brush pile and you run a spinnerbait over it a bunch of times and don't get a bite. If you swim a jig you can drop it down in the brush, shake it a bunch of times, hop it around and then swim it away. Just a different presentation that may get you bit.
Old 04-11-09, 11:27 AM   #13
JB

hey 3D , thanks for the tip/idea about the grub...last year I tried dif sof the fluke on the back of the chatterbait like Fish2win from norris lake commented on, but will try the grub on the back...in todays market of lures I think many times ppl overlook the versatility of the grub....

now to look into my Kalins stock of grubs
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-09, 11:41 AM   #14
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
in todays market of lures I think many times ppl overlook the versatility of the grub....

Very true a big grub t-rigged on a 1/0 or a 2/0 hook is killer if the bite is slow

Jim
Old 04-11-09, 11:56 AM   #15
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
Very true a big grub t-rigged on a 1/0 or a 2/0 hook is killer if the bite is slow
Jim
+1... I've got some little 1/8 oz crappie jig heads that work well, too.
Old 04-11-09, 12:17 PM   #16
3dkicker

The Kaotic brand I use come with a couple types of trailers. They have the two-tailed spinnerbait trailers or the 2" grubs. Last year I didn't use a trailer at all and caught plenty of bass. This year I'm going to play with different trailers and see if it makes a difference in size or quantity. I've caught a couple bass already with the 2" grub but I don't think it has made that much of a difference. I think I need to get out and test some more
Old 04-12-09, 07:36 PM   #17
pacmanrocks
BassFishin.Com Member

I think a jig would work better when you are fishing around rocks. It will immitate a crawfish and you can also drag it across the bottom. As far as a swim jig, it's a little different but I still think they are more productive around rocks and big logs. I think spinnerbaits work better over weed beds, open water and on flats. Jigs are a little more finessey targeting a certain cover spot and spinnerbaits seem to be more search baits (although jigs can be used to search too - like a swim jig).
pacmanrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.