Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-16-10, 10:23 AM   #1
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Not new to Fluro on baitcaster, on a spinning reel...

I have been using Vicious Fluoro since last year on my baitcaster for flipping,pitching, and cranking. After spending a week at Kentucky lake last week, and had such great luck using a 1/8 oz shakey head, I decided to put fluoro on my spinning rod.

I spooled up Vicious 10 lb fluoro last night by having the line come off the spool counter clockwise as the reel loads clockwise. I also pulled the line through a KVD line and lure conditioner soaked rag. I also liberally sprayed the kvd on the spool after filling.
I then tied off the line to my boat and stretched the line across my yard (100yrds). After reeling backing in and snipping the line...I opened the bail and about 7 or 8 coils jumped off the spool and the trailing edge of the line wrapped aropund my rod tip.

I have read that fluoro is difficult on spinning reels but...does anyone else have any tricks to make it more managable for spinning reels?

Ron
RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-10, 10:59 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Going to a smaller line, or a bigger reel will help. I have 8lb Seaguar Carbon Pro (not Seaguar's best line, but all I had under 12lb test at the time) on my Plfueger Supreme 8030. This is comparable to a 2000 sized reel. I would not go any higher than 8lb fluoro on this reel.

What size reel are you using?

BB
Old 04-16-10, 11:07 AM   #3
Shake n' Bake
BassFishin.Com Member

I have a size 40 reel spooled with 10lb Seaguar AbrazX (I also use KVD line and lure). At first coils jumped off the reel when I opened the bail but after fishing with it for a while this stopped.
Shake n' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-10, 11:09 AM   #4
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

I just bought the reel..It's a Pflueger Trion..I think.
I'm not much of a spinning rod user...I just bought bought the AllStar split grip rod and reel and few weeks ago.
Old 04-16-10, 11:20 AM   #5
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

As BB144 mentioned, you need to stick to a lighter fc line because it can and will jump off bass sized spinning reel spools.

ANother thing to do is to choose a limper formula of fc line. Just like mono lines, fc lines are not equal with regard to limpness. This is where seaguar's invizx really shines. It is limp to the point of being reminiscent to mono and handles very well on spinning reels.

With this said, 8# test is a high as I'd use on a bass sized spinning reel for the sake of ease of manageability and sanity. Unless of course, you have a shimano reel. You can change the form of the line lay by adding or removing washers to compensate for the spinginess of the fc line.
Old 04-16-10, 01:10 PM   #6
RichZ
BassFishin.Com Member

Fluoro works better on the large diameter spools like the US reels and the new one of that design from Pfleuger. I do manage to use 10# Seaguar AbrazX (which is the stiffest line in Seaguar's extensive fluoro lineup) on a 2500 size reel with a regular sized spool, but I wouldn't think of going any heavier than that, and I actually prefer 8# on that reel. I never go heavier than 6# InviziX or Tatsu on the 2000 size reels I use for most spinning applications.
RichZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-10, 03:43 PM   #7
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

May be time to try some different lines. I primarily use spinning reels.

I use Pline CX 12lb on my Pflueger Trion 4740GX, which is still a bit stiff (I suggest 10lb CX for best strength vs least coil), or a good braid like Power Pro around 20 to 30 lb.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-10, 05:32 PM   #8
Cavs1123

stick to lighter line
Old 04-16-10, 09:22 PM   #9
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've used several different fluoros on spinning tackle the last couple of years. there's no tricks about using it....you just need to find a line thats manageable for your set....but I definetly agree you should stick to 6 or 8lb. I found that Seaguar's InvisX is the most manageable.....usually use 6 lb test on a Sahara 2500. I also like Trilene 100%....again either 6 or 8 lb. I'm trying out some 8lb Fireline for spinning this year and so far find it to be very manageable, casts great and very sensitive.

Haven't used Vicious though I see Gander Mtn is promoting it heavily. I have tried Vanish, Triple Fish , XPS....stay away from these IMHO. You might also try P Line....while I haven't tried their 100% fluoro I do like their fluoro clear which has a fc coating
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-10, 09:27 AM   #10
Bassboss

Sounds like you did put it on backwards. And the line is to heavy. Try 8lb. It'll be much more manageable. I was scared to go to 8 at first, but after doing so, I never looked back! I got more bites, and no more or less break offs, you have to re tie and check for abrasion more often however!

Or maybe the line just has to much memory. Never used it, but seagar InvisX is suppose to be the best for spinning reels. And a larger size spinning reel is gonna help out a lot! No less than 2000. US reels also have a very large arbor spool, maybe you should look into them as well.

Last edited by Bassboss; 04-17-10 at 09:32 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-10, 10:36 AM   #11
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB
I just bought the reel..It's a Pflueger Trion..I think.
I'm not much of a spinning rod user...I just bought bought the AllStar split grip rod and reel and few weeks ago.
The Pflueger Trion 4735 is similar to a standard 2500 sized reel and should handle 10lb test ok, but 8lb would probably still be better. The Trion 4740 is similar to a normal 3500 or 4000 sized reel, and should handle 10lb test great.

BB
Old 04-17-10, 11:32 AM   #12
nofearengineer

You definitely put it on backwards, though I think 10lb might be pushing the limit of what a spinning reel can handle. (By the way...some of the Vicious packing now comes with the handy hole in the back which makes it impossible to put it on backwards with a conventional spinning reel...a nice touch.)

If you can take a ride in a boat with it, let it all run out of the boat while trolling, then reel it back in to get rid of the 568,493 twists you accidentally put in it, then take another shot at it, and let us know how it works out.

I also like my Vicious a lot, but I use 6lb on my spinning reel.
Old 04-17-10, 01:11 PM   #13
CamG

Keep in mind that Vicious fluoro in 10lb. is about the same diameter as other fluoro lines in 12-14 lb. range.

I used some BPS 8 lb. fluoro on my spinning gear this last week and was super happy with it. You may give that a try.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 02:34 PM   #14
everettvet

I have some vicous 8# fluoro on a spinning reel and I am having the same problem with line jumping off with the same basic technique as others have described of putting line on. I have the feeling that it may jump off my reel and into the trash can real soon.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 01:26 PM   #15
BrownHL
BassFishin.Com Member

I have enjoyed 10# viscious floro on a baitcaster for the last year, but gave up putting it on a big Daiwa spinning reel---boing.
BrownHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 03:31 PM   #16
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet View Post
I have the feeling that it may jump off my reel and into the trash can real soon.
That's what happened to the Vicious 10# I tried on a spinning reel. I would go with InvizX if you need 10#. Not because it is more expensive, just that it is much more limp. I'm using a higher dollar line on a lot of my reels this year and I think the AbrazX is more limp so it's not always about the price, it's about the formula used to make the line.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 02:39 PM   #17
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

I have been offline a good bit lately, just got back from 3 days on Grande lake St. Marys for Ohio Bass Fed regionals. Didn't finish great but, well enough to go to the SQT's at Rocky Fork later thsi summer.
I am going to take the 10 lb Vicious off and go with 8 lb. I did buy some Seaguar Invizx 10 lb Fluoro for my baitcast shakeyhead rod....There is a night and day difference between Seagur and Vicious!! Where the seaguar comes off the filler spool in tight curls...the Seaguar came off the spool and laid across my deck like a shoestring.

Thanks for the replys on line size folks....I'm learning...slowly

Ron
Old 05-05-10, 03:46 PM   #18
Jclower2
BassFishin.Com Member

So I have 12lb P Line FC on my phfeugler presidential and have had some line issues just mentioned above not near as bad. I just bought 12lb Magna FC for the other spool I have for it but now Im reconsidering should I just strip the P-Line and through some lighter P line or magna on there. I do fish the thick stuff (!!!thick!!! grass beds) so I am nervous going with anything lighter I can't heave the fish up out of the with. Thanks for the insight
Jclower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 03:53 PM   #19
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jclower2 View Post
So I have 12lb P Line FC on my phfeugler presidential and have had some line issues just mentioned above not near as bad. I just bought 12lb Magna FC for the other spool I have for it but now Im reconsidering should I just strip the P-Line and through some lighter P line or magna on there. I do fish the thick stuff (!!!thick!!! grass beds) so I am nervous going with anything lighter I can't heave the fish up out of the with. Thanks for the insight

If you're fishing thick grass beds, I'd suggest going at it with a baitcasting setup so you can use heavier line.

BB
Old 05-06-10, 09:00 AM   #20
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

Not too many heavy grass beds in southwestern Ohio ..(AKA Bass Fishing hell). I am a lot more accurate with the baitcaster than the spinning rod. I have a another St. Marys tournament this coming Saturday...weather says another day of 20+ winds in 3-7 feet of water.
Old 05-06-10, 02:28 PM   #21
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I was gonna recommend using Seaguar. It's one of the best floros hands down. I have 8 lb. InvizX on my spinning reel and have never had a problem with it. Good luck this weekend.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.