Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Poll: Favorite Bass Boat
Poll Options
Favorite Bass Boat

Old 10-02-10, 07:30 PM   #1
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Favorite Bass Boats?

After reading the Triton/Ranger thread i thought i would get peoples take on their favorite glass bass boats (sory no aluminum... would make a ridiculous poll).

I am a loyal Stratos Fan... but lately have really wanted a Skeeter 22i... too bad i will never be able to afford a new boat...I threw The Stratos elite on there as Champion since they are most definitely different in design...

I gotta also say I am diggin teh Phoenix boats, especially since they come with top of the line electronics and options for the price of other brands with basic stuff on board... and you can see that the Stratos guys designed it.

Last edited by walkeraviator; 10-03-10 at 08:22 AM.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 11:57 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Don't see CAJUN listed, hahahaha. That is what I have. They ain't making em anymore, but I love mine. Besides......it's paid for. Just gotta restore it now. It works, but needs repaired. gonna restore it.... One day.
Old 10-03-10, 01:34 AM   #3
nofearengineer

No Tracker?!?!

Old 10-03-10, 08:30 AM   #4
bamabassman

I went back and voted. I WANT a phoenix. 22 footer. So.......when OL RON GETS OUT OF THE POOR HOUSE, HE CAN GET ME ONE OF THESE. hahaha.

For real, if I could afford it, this is the boat I would get. Had a ranger years ago. But phoenix is first on my list now, then basscat. skeeter, ranger and stratos are next in line.
Old 10-03-10, 09:51 AM   #5
bassboogieman

I didn't "vote" as I don't think I'll every buy another. The one I have now will likely be the last. I've owned two 'glass boats, both Tritons - a TR-186 purchased new, and my current TR-21 purchased used. At my age, if I ever do buy another boat, I'll be going back to alum. I don't have a lot of water in my area that allows use of the outboard, and in a few years the GO FAST and traveling will be out of my system - YEAH, RIGHT. But if I was younger and in the market - I really like the Phoenix, no dealers (yet) in my area, but I really like the thought put in to the design of the storage on that rig. Certainly I'd have to consider a Triton, I've had good luck and enjoyed the two I've had. And, you really cannot go wrong with a Ranger - high premium (IMO) for the name, but that is one solid boat that retains a lot of value. Those are my top three, but virtually all the brands are good boats, and all have stong and not-so-strong points. Not everyone wants the same attributes in their boat - it's just a matter of considering ride vs. speed in the hull design, optional features, motor brand, and graphics that appeal to your personal tastes.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 01:11 PM   #6
Abbeysdad

Now doesn't everyone "love the one yer with"?
Technically, at the risk of being thrown off of the forum, I don't have an official bass boat - but I wouldn't trade mine either !
Old 10-04-10, 06:34 PM   #7
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
Now doesn't everyone "love the one yer with"?
Technically, at the risk of being thrown off of the forum, I don't have an official bass boat - but I wouldn't trade mine either !
Technically I don't either, I have a deck boat. But The BassinBandit dwells in my basement, his bass boat dwells in my driveway. I guess technically I have a bass boat, but the bandit owns the motor, it's blowed up.
Old 10-04-10, 08:28 PM   #8
Old Hooker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I don't own one yet, so I didn't vote. But I am leaning really hard toward a Stratos.
Old 10-04-10, 09:55 PM   #9
bamabassman

hooer, if you are gonna spend a LOT of money, I would really like to tell you to look at BASSCAT AND PHOENIX. Not that Stratos is a bad rig, very nice, but for the same money you can get one or the other of the 2 I mentioned. Jsut my worthless 2 cents.
Old 10-04-10, 10:12 PM   #10
Old Hooker

Thanks for the info Bama. I'm not looking to spend a major fortune, just a small one. I'm looking at a 186 XT (75%) or a 176 XT (25%).
Old 10-05-10, 07:08 AM   #11
walkeraviator

Have you considered the other entry level boats hoooker? Specifically the Ranger 177TR???
Old 10-05-10, 12:54 PM   #12
Old Hooker

Actually, I didn't know Ranger made anything in my price range. I guess I need to check into the 177 too.
Old 10-05-10, 01:21 PM   #13
walkeraviator

The 177TR is only 17'7" like the 176XT but will run the 115hp motor like the 186XT. The build seems higher quality, but only has two seats instead of three. The 177TR w/115 e-tec runs about $2k-$5k more than the 186XT I am finding online(and most of those only have 90hp E-tecs for $20k) depending on who you go to to buy. BUt there seem to be a lot of 09 177TR's on closeout on boattrader.com... So it would seem you could get the 177TR with the exact same motor as the 186xt for roughly the same price and you will lose a foot of length, but make up for it in build quality.

Just my $.02.... oh.. and the nose kinda looks like a tri-hull when viewed from above... has a squared shape which seems to give more room on the front casting deck.
Old 10-05-10, 02:45 PM   #14
lilmule

Allison and dont tell me they are expensive used ones are quite reasonable,ive never owned a new boat,as cant afford them.
And am way past 17 fters,as live next to ky lake where a 20 is minimal.
2002 is small handles like a 17 yet can take fairly rough water,runs fast as all get out,more than many can handle,cure is to power it more reasonable 150-mid seventies,115 over 60.
I recently repowered mine from a 200 running that would run 90 or near to an old xflow 140,most of the time ky lake wont allow much more than say a tr21 with a 200 will run about 64mph,that old xflow runs close and its stock.Cheap as well.
The whole rig cost about 7 k,and will pass many 40 k boats.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 06:18 PM   #15
nova385

No gambler
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 07:40 AM   #16
walkeraviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova385 View Post
No gambler
Sorry... it only allows 10 options... ran out of room
Old 10-06-10, 07:41 AM   #17
walkeraviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
And am way past 17 fters,as live next to ky lake where a 20 is minimal.
Fish Ky Lake every year with an 18 footer. No problems yet.
Old 10-06-10, 08:29 AM   #18
lilmule

I've fished it out of a 16 ft flat bottom,,but when one can launch anywhere and stay in close by really doesn't matter as for the 20 ft minimum thats for a T boat,where one doesn't not pick where one launches at or what day and one can get by with less just have less
of a ride.

As for Gamblers one here in the aba T top cap separated, at the rear,your really taking a gamble it appears.
Tr20 and 21 and stratos 201 are good boats for ky lake,and are two of the most popular.

Last edited by lilmule; 10-06-10 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-06-10, 11:54 AM   #19
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Looking at the poll results tells me we have a lot of Ranger fans on here. Don't get me wrong I think they make a great boat, but I think it's their history and reputation that gives some people a false pretense about them. There's a lot of really good boats out there..especially nowadays..I have ridden or driven in Nitro's, Tritons, Champions, Skeeters, Rangers and Basscat boats. I cannot speak for the others on the list, but out of this group I can say that Nitro's Z-Line is very very nice, with a lot of nice features and not as much $$...I think that Nitro has really turned things around with this line. Also, just in my opinion...the best bass boat I have ever been in was a BassCat Puma..lots of room, lots of power and great ride...only problem=they are steep in price.. on a side note- I love the look of the new Eyra, and love the single console
Old 10-06-10, 12:39 PM   #20
walkeraviator

I kinda see where you are coming from Jason... but a Z-9 is over $50k if you get decent electronics. And most of the comparable 21ft boats from the other companies are the same price as the Nitro...

This is where Phoenix really shines... for $45k you get the boat the way it needs to be out the door. No adding better electronics or bigger trolling motors... all the other boats run $50k then you gotta spend another 10 grand to get teh upgrades... even nitro...

Nitro starts at $43k... used their website and built one comparable to a Phoenix 721 Pro...

only difference is Phoneix had a 250 yamer and the Nitro a 250 Optimax

Nitro optioned out to $54k
Phoenix...................................$41k

And the phoneix has a removable console, the diriver console is fully enclosed...

OK i think i change my vote to Phoenix...

Last edited by walkeraviator; 10-06-10 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-06-10, 07:45 PM   #21
Captmikestarrett

I have had three Gamblers and loved them all. Now I have a Mako 2201 and it is nice but no Gambler..

As a fishing guide is a bad idea to hand the customer a helmet before leaving the dock..

Scares the hell out of them..

Capt Mike
Old 10-06-10, 10:25 PM   #22
bamabassman

I looked at a Phoenix at the classic. Man I love those rigs. The removable console is also a great feature. IF I EVER WIN THE LOTTERY, or ol ron ( aka; bcklash) gets outta the poor house, I am gonna get me one of those.
On another note, I THINK (may be wrong) that SKEETER is the only HAND LAID glass boat built today. A plus in my book.
Old 10-07-10, 09:23 AM   #23
gonefishin3

Skeeters a great boat but I dont like the deck lay outs on them much... Champions another good boat and so is Triton, but I bought the Ranger so I gotta go with what I picked
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-10, 10:00 AM   #24
bobbygib
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile

In the "Love the one you're with" vein, I'll go with Stratos.

Have fished Ranger, Triton, Skeeter, Allison, Cajun, tracker, Nitro, procraft, and have found qualities in all of them I like.

Naturally, since the only one I have ever "owned" is the Stratos, gotta tell you, love this boat. rides, drives and fishes fine for me.

Now that I have it properly propped and have "most" (there'e always more....stuff...;-) of the stuff on it I like and want, and...it's paid for, I doubt I'll be looking to buy a new/different one for a while.

However, I must admit I do peruse the classifieds and Craigslist from time to time and am amazed at some of the bargains out there!

For less than $20,000.00, you can get a nearly new bass boat of your dreams! For less than $10,000.00 you can find the occasional deal of a lifetime.

Saw a guy at a Sheetz/quickmart couple weeks ago pulling a nice Triton TR-21. Went over to talk to him and he told me he had just come from Tennessee where he just bought the boat from some guy advertising it on Craigslist. Finally got around to asking him what he paid for it....he tells me $8,000.00!!!! Amazing. And it was full of tackle! Must have been 20 rods and reels in the rod boxes the guy just let go with the boat!
Told me the guy hadn't used it in several years, but had been stored indoors. It looked beautiful, just a little dirty/dusty. I asked him if he'd started the motor (merc 225) and he told me when he saw the boat and the clear title he just wanted to get out of there before the guy changed his mind. Cant say I blame him. That fancy a$$ Trition trailer alone was prolly worth $8,000.00! What's a new boat like that sell for? $40,000+ maybe? Seemed like a decent guy...didn't get the impression he was B-S ing me.

I'm sure the economy has much to do with that, but unfortunately, many guys buy these nice boats only to realize down the road that don't have time to use them and they just want to unload them.

hope I can find a deal like that when it's time to upgrade.

God I love to fish....
bobbygib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-10, 11:54 AM   #25
lilmule

More like 42 k and up,but used they dont bring that much,depends upon the year of mfg,many selling their tritons at 5 yearts of age as no longer qualify for the triton gold money or T,ranger is about the same 5 years old or less to fish the ranger trail T.
Ive owned rangers,thundercraft, skeeters,glassport,phantom ,jaguar and now an allison,many nice features of most of them.
As for a good buy an 88 xtb allison wrapped was on ebay for 7,900 with a 200 ,looked like new,allisons providing one doesnt go back so far as wood boats are all composite and a steel reinforced transom,and last forever.Mine is a 90 model.And very few boats that could pass it with a 250hp on it,only another allison or bullet.All that hp really isnt needed i recently repowered mine with an old xflow 140 and it runs about what a tr 21 would do with a 200 on it low 60s

Last edited by lilmule; 10-07-10 at 12:00 PM.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.