Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-08, 08:35 PM   #26
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

back....hahahahahahahahahaha
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-08, 11:59 AM   #27
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

"fishing isn't about being good or great, its about yourself and meeting the challenge of mother nature. Or just to beat the crap out of the guy in the back of the boat!! not sure yet will let you know soon! hahaha! "

It can be the ultimate compatition. You against the guy in the back of the boat and you against the fish simutaniously. That is one of the things that motavates me top keep fishing. Fish2win
Old 05-13-08, 01:21 PM   #28
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Fishing is not a hobbie for me. It's who i am. It's bean engrained in me since i was 2. It's not an option to stop thinking like one. In the winter when hobbie fishermen are hunting. I am still fishing. Yeah i do switch gearz and change species. I usually go after panfish & crappie on the marina docks. The ice is'nt safe to walk on down here. But just the same i have to dig a hole to drop a jig. Real fishermen are on the water when itz 100 or at 30 below. Yes my favoite movie of all time is (A river runs threw it). That living my entire life fishing is who i am.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-08, 02:45 PM   #29
Captmikestarrett

If my id where to align with my social conscience in reflection of prowess in the manly art of fishing then and only then I suppose I could reach my pinnacle with out a second guess or thought.

Capt Mike
Old 05-13-08, 06:47 PM   #30
lizardsrule

Simple answer is "KNOWLEDGE", I need more of it, and am gaining it everyday. There isn't a superfast way to get all the knowledge, and "KNOW" it's good knowledge that works. IE someone on here states you got to use a lizard to catch bass on the beds. That can work, but anyone who decides to use that knowledge(not neccessarily from a experienced angler), and only uses that, and not his own judgements, and capabilities will miss the boat more often than not. I am working towards aquiring a "BASS" boat, where that will give me more opportunities to fish many different areas then I can get to in my little tin can. The next answer to that would be just like most folks, I don't have the financial ability to not work, and still live. When I get more knowledge, and can spend more time on the water, the is no limit to what I can achieve in fishing. I truly believe that, and nobody can change my opinion. I have the will, and desire to be a great fisherman, it will just take more time.

Lizards
Old 05-14-08, 05:37 PM   #31
bothomas
BassFishin.Com Active Member

WTL, what do you consider to be a truly great fisherman. Someone who understands the challenge and loves to spend the time necessary to learn.( and it takes a lifetime of learning ). Someone who comes to peace while on the water. Someone who is a competitive tournament angler. Someone who teaches others to love the sport. I think once you determine what you want out of fishing it is relatively easy to choose the path that will get you there. ( on the patience thing... nothing truly great comes fast or easy )
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 06:14 PM   #32
bamabassman

bothomas has a VERY GOOD point. me i have peace of mind and love the challenge. i also love the sport and trying to work on the patience thing, lol. as or the learning.....none of us will ever know ALL there is to fishing, it is a continuance of learning in my opion. kinda like medicine, doctors are PRACTING, they never are a pro at it....right? so that is the way i feel we should look at it. it is a practice, not a profession. although there are pros just like doctors, lawyers and so on. now that i read this, i wonder....does this make sense? maybe i am not putting in the correct words. enough, getting too deep for me.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 10:41 PM   #33
WTL

I don't know bothomas, I think you know a great fisherman when you see one. Kinda like you know a pretty girl when you see one, its just obvious. We don't really need to get into attributes.

I will say this, there are many great people who happen to be fishermen. These are the people I would sooner aspire to be like, they do, as you said get an enjoyment from the water. I do believe that to be more important to a man than being technically proficient.
Old 05-14-08, 10:52 PM   #34
backinthesaddle
BassFishin.Com Member

Well spoken WTL. There are great men who happen to be fisherman. Just because someone is tall or old doesn't make them a great man thats for sure.
( or even a great fishermen)
backinthesaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 08:08 PM   #35
brushhog

Gentleman, as we wax philosophically, (WTL seems to draw this out of us) I must tell you about a great fisherman. Great, even though he gets out fished fairly consistently. Great even though his gear is old and inexpensive to begin with. Great even though he has never owned a boat to speak of....

My Dad is a great fisherman/outdoorsman because he respects the land/ water more than anyone I know, he gets great pleasure simply from being out and never fails to see the greatness in nature, and above all is a greater teacher of what he knows...

Indeed, greatness is measured in many ways....
Old 05-15-08, 09:50 PM   #36
flfireman

Was thinking about this and not really sure how I wanted to answer it. I consider myself a decent fisherman... at times. My explanation for this is. When I forget about the time, the things I need to do, the things that happened at work, the BS I just took from one supervisor or the next, the cost of gas, the next payment for this, that or the other. When I just go out to fish and forget about everything. I do well, sometimes I do superb. I've fished w/ semi-pro's and have outfished them, does this make me great...no. It means that I had a better day than them. On the other hand when I get rushed, start bit%in about everything, I usually have a bad day. When I catch myself doing this, sometimes I can sit down and make myself realize that my life isn't all that bad and to enjoy the time God has given me to relax and enjoy the wonderful world he has made for me. I do rush a lot, I do change bait's a lot, I do throw a spinnerbait for hours on end, knowing that I just caught a fish on a worm, but wasn't in the mood for slowing my self down. So I guess after this long winded explanation. I need to just relax, concentrate on what I think should be working and remember why I bought all this stuff in the first place. To have fun.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.