Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-08, 12:33 PM   #1
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing
Default Pitching and Flipping

Since the water temperatures have been getting into the mid 60's lately, I've been experimenting with flipping and pitching, pitching more so. I've only had a few bites, but I think they were bluegill or really small bass because I didn't hook any. Maybe it was becuase of that 10" worm... I'm not sure...

Anyway, I feel I need some tips. The main things I am interested in include:
  • What temperatures do you feel are best suited for flipping/pitching?
  • What areas do you find are best for flipping/pitching?
  • Do you find bigger or smaller baits are best suited for flipping/pitching?
Thanks in advance,

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-08, 05:19 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

all year and in all temp ranges buzz
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-08, 05:48 PM   #3
doc

you flip and pitch into heavy cover, into those tight places you know the fish are but just cant cast to.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-08, 06:01 PM   #4
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Thanks, guys.

I think part of my problem is not having very many good areas to flip/pitch to. Only one lake has good laydowns, brush, stumps, etc., but they are only in 6"-2' of water. I'm hoping I can find some 6'-8' cover this year.

The other lake I fish is lined with houses, and those good-for-nothing Alumi-Span docks. Mainly a straight dock running 10-20' into the lake. These good-for-nothing things hold absolutely no fish. Ya know the docks Charlie Hartley was flippin' in the Classic? Dat's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

I tried to do a little pitchin' with a KVD Bleedin' Flippin' Tube and a splitshot on the hook, but didn't hook anything up. I was hoping the slow fall would make-up for the cold front that came through last night - wrong! Oh, well...

Thanks again,

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-08, 06:02 PM   #5
links_man2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I like warmer waters for flipping/pitching, tend to push the fish into the thick cover here. Especially summer through fall. As far as areas, I look for the thickest stuff I can find and especially the stuff no one can cast to. As far as baits, I like Brush Hogs -- baby and regular. If pitching really think stuff like the salt cedar, hydrilla we have here I use heavier weights and peg the weight so the weight isn't falling while the bait is hung up shallow.

Mainly, just look for that thick stuff no one else fishes. May not get them out but they can be fun trying.
Old 05-18-08, 06:38 PM   #6
Bob Smith

Quite frankly, with the exceptions of my C-rig almost all of my soft plastic presentations are made by pitching. Regardless of water temp, time of year, cover. It is just a good presentation that keeps the lure close to the water with a more controlled entry. I even do it with my spinning gear, with drop shot and shakey rigs. There are times when it really shines though, picking apart a good lay-down tree, fixed docks with wooden or steel pilings, thick grass with open pockets or edges. Size and color depends on water clarity and amont of line damaging cover, that also dictates the type of line I use as well. Until the waer reaches the 80's is about prime time to pitch, unless you are fishing a shallow grass and weed infested lake, in which case you could pitch no matter how warm the water gets.
Old 05-18-08, 07:21 PM   #7
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Best temps: Spring thru Fall.

Best areas: Cattails, stickups, lay downs, docks, brush piles. IE "targets".

Best baits: Jig n' Pig. Flippin' Tube. 10" worm. Sweet Beaver. Brush hog. Chatter bait.

Footnote: I'll pitch spinnerbaits and crankbaits occassionally when I think fish are pressured and the ones holding on the targets described above have seen lots of jigs or plastic. Not too many people pitch crankbaits or spinnerbaits to hard-to-reach targets.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.