Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-08, 01:17 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Exploring the Split Grip “Advantages” further?

Some people like the known advantages a split grip rod can offer the angler.

We have heard a reduction in a rod’s overall weight – true, but not by much, but they sure make a rod look great.

We have heard that it increases sensitivity – IMHO, yes and no. It depends really on the design of the split grip. Since not all split grips are equal in design, this “increase” in sensitivity must depend on the design of the part of the split grip under the hand/palm holding the rod.

If the shaped cork is short enough such that the palm is in contact with the blank, then I would say that the increase in sensitivity is there so most likely yes.

If the shaped cork is long enough such that it extends past the hand/palm holding the rod and as a result, the handle is in full contact with the cork and not the blank, then I say that there will likely not be an increase in sensitivity.

I came across an article about St. Croix Legend Tournament rods, which I think are awesome looking by the way, in the Sportsman’s Warehouse periodical in which either the author of the article or St. Croix claim the following:

“The hottest rods on the competitive bass fishing circuit now come with “split-grip”/supergrade cork handles. This exciting new handle design increases casting and hook-setting performance by creating an improved fulcrum point – while reducing the overall weight of the rod.”

Sportsman’s Warehouse Periodical - Sportsman’s News April 2008 Page 18.

Increasing casting distance and hook setting performance? Hmmmm… It is not so much that I doubt the claim as much as I, being a visual learner, am having trouble seeing how the removal of a small amount of cork can move the fulcrum point substantially more than a non split grip rod to have the rod display such an improvement in those two traits.

The article is not clear as to whether it is St. Croix or the author making this claim and for this debate I guess it doesn’t really matter.

Are there any rod builders out there that can substantiate or debunk the claim of improvement of the rod as the result of attaining an “improved fulcrum point?” Or is this sheer marketing hype? I can see how improving the fulcrum point can do this, but I am questioning how the removing of that little of cork can improve that point significantly.

What say anyone else?

-ib
Old 04-04-08, 10:29 AM   #2
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

I've handled those rods and I think they are the best thing when it comes to certrain tecniques of walleye/bass fishing. Too bad they cost a pretty penny...

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 04:06 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

How can removing some of the cork have enough effect to move the Fulcrum. IMHO, that's just crap: a gimmick. The split-grip look it friggin sweet though.

BB
Old 04-04-08, 04:43 PM   #4
bamabassman

i don't really think that removing a little cork can improve your chance of catching a fish myself. but i have been proven wrong on most, if not all, of those theories. so...... i dunno.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-08, 09:31 PM   #5
bcklash

My 6'8" Extreme ML spinning rod is a split grip. I love it and I think it help me.
Old 04-09-08, 07:38 AM   #6
Hef
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

I had a buddy of mine do a split-grip on my loomis rod. He did a killer job with it and believe it or not, it did make that rod very, very light. I'll post some pics when I get home.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-08, 09:13 PM   #7
WTL

I wanted a split grip 7' rod to go with my lightweight reel I bought earlier this month. I looked at custom building, but I had too much on my plate so in a moment of weakness I succumbed to a Gander Mountain inshore trout rod which was 7' with a 1/16-1/4 oz rating and what seemed to be a decently slow action. It had everything I wanted for $49 except it was standard grip, and it had a large foregrip. I remembered this thread from the winter time and used it as a model for my split grip conversion. It has turned out very well and was really easy. I like the idea of customizing your rod to your own hand and preferences.

Here is what I did.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 267.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	2224

This is the rod after the conversion. I took a razor and rough cut away the cork. I then sanded the whole blank with 80 grit sandpaper. I asked islandbass about it and he said not to worry too much about scratching the blank which was a consern for me, but as it turns out the blank is tougher than the epoxy so you really arent doing too much damage it doesn't seem. I am going to research using a wax or some sort of glazing to help protect the rod where I sanded it, but even that may not be needed.

Name:	Picture 268.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	2225

This is how the setup fits in my hand on the cast. While the very back of my wrist touches the blank, it doesn't matter as much to me - I palm the reel when fishing. This rod, while its gonna be used for a lot of different things - is gonna be mainly used for jerkbaits, senkos and stuff that I will palm the reel to retreive. The fact that I am fishing in this manner meant I didn't worry as much about whether or not my hand was in direct contact with the blank - cause it is gonna be in direct contact with the line.

Name:	Picture 269.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	2226

Instead of shaping the cork symmetrically, it is off balance to conform slightly to my hand. On the backside where my wrist contacts it I took more cork away, and I also took a little cork away on the otherside where my fingers come across the grip. I didn't take too much away, I didnt want the rod to feel molded, but just a little impression in the cork then sanded makes it feel, well, more like a custom rod.

I also of course took the foregrip completly off. In front of the foregrip was a thread design, the hook keeper and then they heavily epoxied the rod about a foot up the blank towards the first guide. I sanded all that epoxy and thread off. I will get a new hook keeper of the Kistler variety to put on the rod later.

I think over all the split grip and reduction of cork and epoxy has without any doubt drastically improved the sensitivity of the rod. I doubt it is a total weight issue like some try to understand it, although low weight is a definite good - I think having a rod gunked up with epoxy or surrounded with cork just gives more of a "dampening" effect as any vibration travels up the rod. Those who bowhunt know about those spiderlegs rubber silencers they put on the bow strings to help eliminate noise through vibration? I think the cork and epoxy does some of the same type thing, silencing the sensitivity of the blank just by virtue of adding more mass that will absorb vibration.

I also like the fulcrum effect or whatever you would like to call it with these split grips. I especially like the way it the butt of the rod feels in my hand when I cast with 2 hands as I often do use my right to guide the rod just a bit on a cast and I place it on the butt cap.

Now, keep in mind through the rod is only 1 way you are gonna feel a fish strike - it is also possible to notice a strike by the line moving or if you are like me by putting your index finger on the line during the retrieve - but all else equal you are giving yourself a little better chance by having a rod with a little less fat on it.

I went to a pond on the University of Alabama campus today before the race to test out the casting and sensitivity of my new setup - in the process I landed 4 nice little buck bass by accident. At least 2 of the fish I felt through the blank and set the hook - perhaps these were landed thanks to the increased sensitivity and fit of the rod. (BTW, the slow gracefull action of the 7' rod combined with the quality drag means any fish that I hook on this setup is in serious trouble of getting played like a fiddle).

Name:	05-17-08_1357.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	2227

The topic of casting weight also came up in another Island Bass post (he is one of the better thread starters on this site actually) - and I would just like to report that this ultralight baitcasting setup of an Abu Japan Morrum SX 1600 on a cheaper modified rod can cast BPS Tournament Finesse Stik-O's of the 3" variety effortlessly. With a #1 hook I figure this is pretty decent for a baitcaster.

Last edited by WTL; 05-17-08 at 09:27 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-08, 09:45 PM   #8
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Muhammad,

Although the Senko's, pardon.... 'Stik-O's' , may seem light, they actually have some good weight to them. I do not know the exact weight, but I can cast a Wacky-Rigged 3" Senko on my 6'7'' Low Rider/Shimano Citica with 20-pound Power Pro quite far...

Just sayin'...

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-08, 10:09 PM   #9
3dkicker

BB144, I'm fishing with my custom rod maker tomorrow. I'll ask him what the advantages of the split-grip are? He's been doing them for a long time and now has to come up with something else to be different from all the other companies. He was joking about going back to the normal old style handles just to be different.
Old 05-18-08, 07:28 PM   #10
3dkicker

Spoke with him today about the split grip. In his opinion there are three reasons for the split grip.
1) They look cool.
2) It reduces the weight.
3) It reduces cost due to the price of good cork. (Although most companies charge more for them)
and he also added it's a great place to put the company logo and rod info.
Old 05-18-08, 07:55 PM   #11
JB

I've always just been a line feeler or keep a finger on the blank under my baitcaster. Never had really thought about a rod n reel being to heavy , at least so heavy I'd have to modify it, but to each his own, customize the hell out of it huh
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-08, 08:50 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Want a Light combo, get a Kister Helium II and a Daiwa Steez, the whole combo weights in at about 9 oz, the weight of most baitcasters alone.

BB
Old 05-18-08, 08:55 PM   #13
WTL

I'm gonna weight it all tonight at work to see what it ends up being - but light weight wasnt what I was going for. I think people who count ounces or grams in their combos are kinda off topic. There are way more important features. I think I have sacrifised some weight just because this blank is likely no better than IM7, it was a mid range rod - but because the action and weight is so perfectly suited for the task at hand, I am more than happy to deal with that.
Old 05-19-08, 04:13 AM   #14
islandbass

WTL,

Awesome job!!! Pat yourself on the back because your work looks great. I think your idea of offsetting the cork's shape to fit your hand is very clever.

I am glad that your risk of modifying the rod has paid off. I also appreciate your good write up, review, fishing report and flattering compliment.
Old 05-19-08, 06:29 AM   #15
WTL

A Daiwa Steez weighs per the internet 5.5 oz with no line. A Kistler Helium II rod weighs 3 ounces flat per the internet.

The Abu Garcia Morrum SX 1600 with line weighs almost 7 ounces per a scale at work. The modified Gander Mountain rod weighs 3.8 ounces per a scale at work.

The total for the Steez-Helium II combo is 8.5 ounces.

The total for the Morrum-Gander Mtn combo is 10.8 ounces.

However the Steez-Helium II combo costs roughly $600 total.

The Morrum-Gander Mountain combo cost me roughly $200 total (the reel retails for $300 something, but just look on ebay to avoid paying that much).

$600-$200=$400.

I happened to weigh $400 dollars in folding cash at work as well tonight.

It weighed 7 ounces.

When you subtract that 7 ounces from the weight of the Abu combo that I now own without aid of a mortgage, you come to a grand total of 3.8 ounces for that combo. I'll take the one I got, thanks. Haha. Besides, the Steez looks and feels a little cheap - the Morrum feels mechanically smooth and strong.

Last edited by WTL; 05-19-08 at 06:59 AM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 06:22 PM   #16
Wishing2BFishing

WTL, you weighed 400 dollars in "folding cash". What is folding cash? Is that like "WHAM" money (walking around money)?

Anyway, glad to know someone still has some money in their pocket with these f'in gas prices.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 08:27 AM   #17
Captmikestarrett

Ron Popel invented the split grip..

It was very popular in the 80's and Berkley/Diawa produced a ton of split grip spinning rods. But few baitcasters.

I think it is a fad and next year light up rods in red and blue will be all the rage..

Oh and the zuchini stick will come finnally..

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.