Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-08, 07:57 AM   #1
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Confirmation????

I've never been a total fan of braid for flipping and may of had that confirmed at my last tournament. My brother and I fished the Chicahominy River a month ago and were flipping Cypress trees in the back of a creek. He was using a black/blue jig in the front of the boat with 30lb Power Pro and I was in the back using a t-rigged Junebug Babybrushhog with 17lb XPS Fluorocarbon. In the first 2 hours I caught 10-12 fish and he caught 3-4 fish. We had 4 keepers over 14" and I caught them all. We debated the rest of the day whether it was the fish being line shy or the bait. To see I had a Zoom Ultravibe Speed Craw t-rigged on 30lb Power Pro and I could not get a bite on it. I normally catch a lot of river fish on that craw. I think the fish just shyed away from the braid. I'll find out again this Sat. in our next tx.

I think the braid works well in lakes and ponds that don't receive as much fishing pressure or fished in thick vegitation (I use it for sure with frogs). I use 17lb XPS Fluoro or 20lb FluoroClear and seem to get more bites and with the 7'H St. Croix I still cross their eyes. I will drop down to 15lb in lakes with not as much cover. I'm convinced now to stick with the Fluorocarbon line. I'll be trying Triple Fish Fluoro soon and give a report.
Old 05-20-08, 09:17 AM   #2
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

BA - Did you consider the rate of fall between the lures as a reason for the bites? I've had tournaments where this has been the key, especially on rivers.
Old 05-20-08, 09:34 AM   #3
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAddict View Post
I've never been a total fan of braid for flipping and may of had that confirmed at my last tournament. My brother and I fished the Chicahominy River a month ago and were flipping Cypress trees in the back of a creek. He was using a black/blue jig in the front of the boat with 30lb Power Pro and I was in the back using a t-rigged Junebug Babybrushhog with 17lb XPS Fluorocarbon. In the first 2 hours I caught 10-12 fish and he caught 3-4 fish. We had 4 keepers over 14" and I caught them all. We debated the rest of the day whether it was the fish being line shy or the bait. To see I had a Zoom Ultravibe Speed Craw t-rigged on 30lb Power Pro and I could not get a bite on it. I normally catch a lot of river fish on that craw. I think the fish just shyed away from the braid. I'll find out again this Sat. in our next tx.

I think the braid works well in lakes and ponds that don't receive as much fishing pressure or fished in thick vegitation (I use it for sure with frogs). I use 17lb XPS Fluoro or 20lb FluoroClear and seem to get more bites and with the 7'H St. Croix I still cross their eyes. I will drop down to 15lb in lakes with not as much cover. I'm convinced now to stick with the Fluorocarbon line. I'll be trying Triple Fish Fluoro soon and give a report.
Try going to a 3/4 oz bullet weight in heavy current area's!!! This should help some.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 11:12 AM   #4
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

My brother was using either a 3/16 or 5/16 oz. Eakins Jig and I was using a 3/16 bullet weight pegged to the brushhog. There was little current in the back of that creek so that wasn't a factor. It's a spawning area. Most of the fish picked it up off the bottom. I don't feel like the weight was the difference. I had the same weight on the braid with the Ultravibe and didn't get bit. I really feel like it was the line that made the difference. I'm going to throw a brushhog on braid Sat. some and see if they hit it as well as the fluoro.
Old 05-20-08, 11:21 AM   #5
Lilmoosecountry

I am a mono guy. But take into consideration that certain lines sink better than others. That's why mono is so good on top water baits. I am playing around with braid. One thing i notice that sinks real well. So this will effect the rate of fall in a bait. Is it enough to impress me as a fishermen not really. But i do see some benefits of braid related to presentation.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.