Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-08, 09:32 AM   #1
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Ugly Braid by Shakesphere

Well i finally broke down & baught some 65lb Camo braid. I gott it at the LBS. Well i got it 1/2 off. Otherwise i might not of. Will see how it does. It's going on the 20.00 dollar bigGame flipping stick. I won't let it tare up one of my good Allstar's. I love shakesphere Cajun. This Stuff is 15 diameter & 65 test.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 10:49 AM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I just can't fin myself trusting line made by Shakespeare. Not saying it aint good, but they made bad line for so long.
Old 05-15-08, 10:56 AM   #3
Lilmoosecountry

I here yeahh WTL. I was the same 2 yrs ago. I already use Cajun mono. It is a prem. Line. Now they do make some 1000yrd spools that they sell at Wally World. But Cajun is not that way at all this a different product from the that cheap stuff. Trust me if i'll tell yeah itz good stuff i stand behind my statment. Cajun line to me is just as good of a product as an Ugly Stick. The ugly braid retails for 29.95 for a 300 yard spool.
Old 05-15-08, 04:45 PM   #4
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Braid wouldn't tear up an All Star, would it? I assume it might tear up that cheapie though....

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 04:55 PM   #5
Nonpoint
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Nonpoint

I have beat the **** out of an ugly stick, slammed it in the trunk, bent it almost in half not paying attention...broke off and replaced the top eye and that damn rod is still in use. I mean I use it as my carp/cat pole...but if they made some braid that proved to be as tough..I'd buy some in a heartbeat, let me know what you think of it.
Nonpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 04:56 PM   #6
bamabassman

hey i buy shalespear line for my reels. 10 to 20 pound. it ain't the best, but, for the money and the way i respool (2to 3 times a year). it is what's best money wise for me. trying some berkly mono now...not too sure about it though. gonna give it a while before i decide if i like it.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 05:13 PM   #7
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Wing View Post
Braid wouldn't tear up an All Star, would it? I assume it might tear up that cheapie though....

-Buzz
WE had this conversation before. If a pole says 20 max it means 20 max. But on a cheap rod i don't care.
Old 05-15-08, 05:15 PM   #8
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
hey i buy shalespear line for my reels. 10 to 20 pound. it ain't the best, but, for the money and the way i respool (2to 3 times a year). it is what's best money wise for me. trying some berkly mono now...not too sure about it though. gonna give it a while before i decide if i like it.
Bama Cajun line is no cheaper than trilene or stren. I am assuming your talking about them cheap 3 dollar 500 yd spools at wally world. Thatz not cajun line.
Old 05-15-08, 05:28 PM   #9
bamabassman

yes i am talkng about the 3 buck spools. got it at wally world like you said. it says cajun on the spool. it really ain't the same huh? ok. i understand.
Old 05-15-08, 05:42 PM   #10
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I just can't fin myself trusting line made by Shakespeare. Not saying it aint good, but they made bad line for so long.
Same here-it may be great stuff now, but for so long it was the real cheap stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Wing View Post

-Buzz
Nope. Used it on AllStar Classics for years and never a problem.
Old 05-15-08, 06:09 PM   #11
JB

I love braid and it hasn't damaged any equipment at all. I can imagine some of my buddies that give the "hookset from hell" every time they cross the bass's eyes may break stuff on braid, but for me, I find I dont have to set the hook near as hard as mono while flipping
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-08, 10:29 AM   #12
Lilmoosecountry

I use a Berkly Big Game rod for my flipping stick on the missouri river. It is a 7ft 6in catfish pole. ( I go threw a couple a year) I winch fish out of stuff that i don't want to tare a good pole up. NO regular fipping stick would survive. The stuff i winch fish out of on the river. When you put line on a rod that is heavior than the specified amount. Remembor the rod is not designed for it. You will rip guides right off the blanks. But you lake fishermen are'nt even begaining to put your equitment to the test tell you start big river fishing. More than likely the bass are suspended in the trash on the river trying to get out of the current. Old tree's & such. Maybe a sunken boat. You just never no. With an active current there is know time for horse play. You need to yank'm out like a tow truck.
Old 05-16-08, 10:34 AM   #13
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
yes i am talkng about the 3 buck spools. got it at wally world like you said. it says cajun on the spool. it really ain't the same huh? ok. i understand.
MY bad !!! Look again on the wall @ wally world. I am using Cajun Premium line. There is a difference. I noticed both products last light. Cajun Premium line
starts at 5.50 for 300 yards & goes to 7.50 for the heavior test.
Old 05-16-08, 02:59 PM   #14
Wishing2BFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonpoint View Post
I have beat the **** out of an ugly stick, slammed it in the trunk, bent it almost in half not paying attention...broke off and replaced the top eye and that damn rod is still in use. I mean I use it as my carp/cat pole...but if they made some braid that proved to be as tough..I'd buy some in a heartbeat, let me know what you think of it.

Kinda like the commercial with the wife "you are not . . . going . . . fishing . . . today". I got an Ugly Stick Lite that I use for trout. It is the only rod that has lasted me for more than 10 years.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-08, 03:12 PM   #15
Nonpoint
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Nonpoint

LOL that commercial is a riot...trash compacted and all, good as new....if only :P
Nonpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-08, 06:00 PM   #16
bamabassman

love that commercial too. teold my wife to get that rod if she gets mad at me for fishing, lol.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.