Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-08, 06:43 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Mono and Line Twist

I always seem to get mor line twist when spooling up from a larger 1000yd spool than a do from the smaller 300yd ones. I don't know if this is just me or what, but I think it's because of the larger spool. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

BB
Old 05-16-08, 10:18 AM   #2
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

BPS has a Berkly spooling station for like 28.00 dollars that will help with this problem.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-08, 10:42 AM   #3
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

shouldn't make a difference on the spools line capacity. Are you spooling spinning gear when you're getting the line twist problem? If so, depending on the line manufacturer I think determines how you want to spool spinning gear. Used to be you had to lay the spools on one side or another to prevent line twist when spooling. With the line I use now, It works best to do it the same as I do with baitcasting, revolving the spool with the line coming over the top.
Old 05-16-08, 12:12 PM   #4
bothomas

I agree. check the box to see which way you should be pulling the line off the spool.
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 07:25 AM   #5
Mac10

It will help anytime you put new line on to trail the line in the water behind a boat.....with nothing tied on the line, just start hand feeding the line off the rod tip until the water grabs the line....let it run out completely until you get to the reel knot, then reel it back on after pausing a minute or two. You don't want the boat to be travelling fast, just at a moderate speed as you will be surprised as to how much water can pull when the line is out. I keep the rod pointed out over the transom when doing this, easier to reel in. I "trail" my line a couple times each season.

Another thought, you may want to apply Armor All to your mono as you reel in. This treats the line, cleaning it and lubricating the line for better casting as the line shoots through the eyes. I soak a small rag and fold it over the line when reeling in. Also helps to keep the line flexible.
Old 05-20-08, 08:12 AM   #6
Captmikestarrett

Did you know that mono line and braided line manufactors have a standard to put the label on the left side.. my left not yours BTW..

Label side up for spinning and label left side for baitcasting (line over top & rolling off)

It reminds me of the toilet paper rule.. I live with three women. So this rule is important.

ALWAYS REPLACE THE ROLL WITH THE PAPER COMING OFF THE TOP>

Still training them after 23 years...

Capt Mike
Old 05-20-08, 06:26 PM   #7
pignjig

Very true, Capt. Mike, very true... Also, like the armor-all tip, I had always thought stuff like Reel Magic was a gimmick until I used some. It helped cut down on spinning line twist a lot. Plus, a well placed swivel never hurt nothin' either...
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.