Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-19-08, 01:46 PM   #1
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Weight question

I am curious regarding the weight of a fish I recently caught. It measured 21 inches in length but I didn't measure the girth. Any idea regarding the average girth of the bass? What would be the approximate weight of a 21" Largemouth? My guess is approx 5 lbs. Am I correct?
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 01:53 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

on a local lake here it has a slot limit 16"-20" you can't keep..a 19.5" fish on that lake is roughly 5.75 pounds.. 21" average fish say 6.5 pounds.. more or less weight due to pre-spawn, spawn..

zooker
Old 05-19-08, 02:12 PM   #3
Wishing2BFishing

Zooker,
So my 21" is somewhere around 6.5 lbs. Wow! For me, that is a big fish. I know . . . I know . . . you guys have caught 10 lber but in my neck of the woods, I don't believe there are many mammoth bass.
Old 05-19-08, 02:34 PM   #4
Bob Smith

Northern strain LMB have an average smaller girth than a Fl strain, so I would guess between 5-6 for your bass.
Old 05-19-08, 03:05 PM   #5
Wishing2BFishing

Bob, thanks a lot for raining on my parade. I was excited that I caught a bass over 6 lbs and now you have to tell me that it likely weighed less. You are not a friend.

I am only kidding! Thanks for the response and despite the fact that the LM is likely less than 6 lbs, I am still pleased with the catch.
Old 05-19-08, 03:17 PM   #6
brushhog

Having used the forum calculator for weight based on length and girth I feel qualified to answer... Here in the North a 21" LM full of eggs will probably around 15-16 inches in girth... Maybe a little bigger. If it was not full of eggs you are probably talking 12-13 inches in girth. Thes measurements are based only on my limited experience, but being one of the few Northern guys here I thought I'd throw in my two copper pieces.
Old 05-19-08, 05:30 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hey dude...5-6 pounder is a BIG bass n my book, i would love to catch one o dem. be happy man. here latley i can't catch a dinger.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 05:39 PM   #8
IS300n8
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to IS300n8

21'' bass that i caught last year weighed 5#6oz but that wasnt before/during spawn so it all depends on how fat it was
IS300n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 06:31 PM   #9
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Wishin', that's a quality fish, man! especially in Pa. where the growing season's shorter than down south. Well done, guy. You should be proud.
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 09:06 PM   #10
3dkicker

Wish2B - how much of a belly did the fish have??? Skinny, Average, of Fat??? I caught a 22" + bass that only went 5.5 lbs. Huge head but it was a very skinny fish. Makes a difference. Still a 21" fish is a nice kicker to any bag.
Old 05-19-08, 09:06 PM   #11
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

So far, I've only caught two bass over 20, a 24 and a 21. My 24 had a 17" girth, but that was in August, so I reckon your fish was runnin' 14-15", if it was full of eggs. I'd say a 5.5-5.75-pound fish wouln't be pushin' it...
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 09:44 PM   #12
vagabond
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default 21"

The Saturday before last i caught one that was 21" long. Like you, I didn't measure girth but had a scale and it showed 6.4 pounds. The night before that my brother caught one that was 21 1/4" and it weighed in at 7.1 pounds. Both of them were thick from head to tail but neither had the over exaggerated pot belly (where it looks like they swallowed a cantaloupe or volley ball).

That's over on the west coast so who knows how they differ from lake to lake much less region to region.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.