Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-04-12, 07:59 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Severe thunderstorm Whats your strategy?

We just had another severe storm tear through our area a couple hours ago. We lost part of a tree and numerous branches but otherwise ok. Winds were clocked at 70MPH, with heavy rain and lightning. I was planning to head out tomorrow on a lake near my home that is about 80 acres. From what I see on radar, I think the storms are over for now. From your past experiences, do you foresee any negative effects when bass fishing from a storm that has passed through the previous day? I can see it effecting the bass for a short time, but I would expect that by tomorrow, they will have settled down. I rarely find myself on the water after a severe storm outbreak and wasn't sure what to expect.
Old 08-04-12, 08:03 PM   #2
WTL

Interesting question. I can't give you a good answer, but I do know if there is something different going on, be it an eclipse, a storm, snow in july, anything thats not a bluebird day inducing cold front is worth giving it a shot. As likely as not the storm might have stirred up microvertibrates and plankton and baitfish and bass.

Or maybe it sent them to hiding. Thats fishing.
Old 08-04-12, 08:11 PM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Interesting question. I can't give you a good answer, but I do know if there is something different going on, be it an eclipse, a storm, snow in july, anything thats not a bluebird day inducing cold front is worth giving it a shot. As likely as not the storm might have stirred up microvertibrates and plankton and baitfish and bass.

Or maybe it sent them to hiding. Thats fishing.
My money is on this, there's only one way to find out. I do know that last year the day after a massive summer hail storm blew through here I had a better than average morning. Could have happened regardless but.........
Old 08-04-12, 08:16 PM   #4
bassinbob

I think the moon is right to. Go for it.
Old 08-04-12, 08:53 PM   #5
Jrob78

I've had amazing luck following storms fishing places where water is running into the lake. If there are any feeders or drains where run off is flowing, fish will sometimes congregate.
Old 08-04-12, 10:26 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Well, in the Spring it helps because the feeder creeks start flowing more, which creates algae blooms at creek mouths, in turn attracting shad and so on. It could do the same thing during any season I'd suspect.

I'd say it's as good a reason as any to be optimistic.
Old 08-04-12, 11:02 PM   #7
keithdog

Well, there are no feeder creeks. But there is runoff. This is one of the lakes that was treated for weeds a few weeks back. I was looking it over from shore the other day and found some nice grassy areas near shore that apparently didn't take such a hit from the treatment. I'm betting these areas might be real hot tomorrow!
Old 08-04-12, 11:13 PM   #8
bamabassman

in my past experiences i have NOT had good luck after a storm (i know, i don't have good luck in ANY weather,lol). i have always heard fish BEFORE the storm. like billy said...it's fishing. go for it keith. better than mowing the yard, haha!
Old 08-04-12, 11:26 PM   #9
Rebbasser

Keith, was the storm due to a front? If so there is your answer. BTW, if you have had enough send them down here. We are in a horrific drought. One of the local lakes is 60, yes, 60 feet low. I'll even risk severe to get some rain!
Old 08-04-12, 11:29 PM   #10
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Keith, was the storm due to a front? If so there is your answer. BTW, if you have had enough send them down here. We are in a horrific drought. One of the local lakes is 60, yes, 60 feet low. I'll even risk severe to get some rain!
You aren't kidding Reb, I think it's only rained for about 15 minutes here in the past 2 months.
Old 08-05-12, 06:48 AM   #11
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
in my past experiences i have NOT had good luck after a storm (i know, i don't have good luck in ANY weather,lol). i have always heard fish BEFORE the storm. like billy said...it's fishing. go for it keith. better than mowing the yard, haha!
Well, I can't mow before picking up the 100 or so branches and portion of a tree the storm knocked down yesterday, which is what I should be doing this morning. But I'm going fishing anyway. haha
Old 08-05-12, 06:50 AM   #12
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Wish I could send it your way. We were in a severe drought this year too but the last 2 weeks have brought us numerous storms and heavy rain. But even with all the rain we've gotten lately, by tomorrow it will look parched. I guess the ground is just that dry. Plus temps keep rising into the mid 90's. But it looks like a tropical storm might bring moisture you way soon.
Old 08-05-12, 06:52 AM   #13
keithdog

Another storm just passed through about an hour ago. This should be interresting. Will let y'all know what happens when I get back. Looks safe to go now.
Old 08-05-12, 10:01 AM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Keith, glad to hear everything was ok from the storm last night. It was pretty nasty as it moved into our area, but it dissipated quickly. And that other little thunderstorm that rolled through this morning has kept us off the lake so far. Let's just hope those weather people are right about cooler and less humid air after the front moves through... I won't be holding my breath.

BB
Old 08-05-12, 04:44 PM   #15
keithdog

Had an interresting day. See the new post about todays events in a new post. An Interresting Day.
Old 08-06-12, 07:13 AM   #16
kennethdaysale

Just a bump to clear the board of whatever

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.