Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-06-13, 11:44 PM   #1
MikeA57
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Which line for this rig?

I've had a couple of Fenwick HMG 7'10" MH rods for about a year now and I recently took my KVD casting reel off of one of them and replaced it with a Shimano Curado 200G reel. I'm now to the point of trying to decide what line to put on the Curado.

I've considered using a copolymer but I don't really hear people talk about putting it on casting reels so I'm not sure how it will work one one. I mostly hear them talk about using that line on spinning rigs. The other HMG has a Browning casting reel on it (I think it's the Medallion) with 17lb test Big Game line. I use these rods as my general purpose rods and I pull Carolina and Texas rigs, crankbaits and jigs with them. I'm really looking forward to using the new Curado and I'm planning on trying to learn how to skip jigs with these rods too.

What line would you suggest for this setup and these uses?

Thanks!

Mike
MikeA57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 01:15 AM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Casting reels will gladly accept any line you spool. Your choice of line largely depends on what technique you're using and what you like. ie flourocarbon for contact baits like worms and jigs and mono for topwater etc. Everybody has their own taste and style but skipping jigs with a 7'10 casting rod would make you unique indeed.

Speaking of unique..... if you will pm me a picture of your HMG 7'10' MH casting rods I'll offer you $500 each for them.
Old 03-07-13, 01:43 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Personally, I wouldn't use nylon mono for either rig.

I'd probably spool them up with a good fluorocarbon line. Something like Seaguar InvisX/AbrasX or Sunline Super FC or Sniper. Braid would be a viable option as well. Sufix 832 is my go to braid.

What would be best would depend on the cover you're planning on fishing and the baits you plan to fish on each rod (by the way, I probably wouldn't throw cranks unless they were Mod or MF action rods).

BB
Old 03-07-13, 10:23 PM   #4
keithdog

Copoly makes a very good line for baitcasting and is the line I use most often. This year, I am using braid for my froggin and fishing very heavy cover. I also use braid for my one and only spinning outfit. Twenty pound braid has a very narrow diameter and works very well with spinning gear. However, I will be using copoly for everything else. It casts beautifully, stronger than mono, and not nearly as expensive a flourocarbon.
Old 03-07-13, 10:38 PM   #5
Bassboss

7'10" MH rod sounds like a nice rod for whenever you need some beef to me!! Frogs, carolina rigs, flipping and pitching, deep jigging, even swimbaits. 50lb braid seems like it do quite nicely on that set-up to me!
Old 03-08-13, 12:07 AM   #6
MikeA57
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm still mulling over what I want to do. Picking line used to be easy, but not anymore!!!
MikeA57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.