Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 07-02-12, 08:58 AM   #1
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default New impeller and other stuff

So I got the impeller replaced in my 90hp Merc OB. Cost $151 and change so it seemed really fair. He asked me what kind of oil I was using. Told him Penzoil.
He said don't use it - use Mercury oil instead - much better oil and won't smoke as much.
I asked him his opinion of hydrofoil stabilizers (was looking at Davis Whale Tail). I was looking for plane at lower speeds and better handling in rough water. He said don't bother...you won't like how it causes your 17 footer to wander and if you get a stick between the prop and the plate it will rip it apart. He said Merc is coming out next year with a 4 blade prop for your 90 that would allow plane at lower speeds (didn't say much about rough water handling).

My 90hp is oil injection so when I got back home, I pumped out the oil and replaced with Mercury OB 2 stoke oil.

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 07-02-12 at 09:24 AM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-12, 12:10 PM   #2
bassboogieman

Many boaters use non manufacturer oils & additives - but I'm absolutely anal about that. I use manufacturer branded oil & additives (Yamaha, for me). It may be stupid, as the motor branded products are more expensive, but I am of the opinion the manufacturer knows what works best in their motors and some have different additives that the "generics" do not. A problem with the motor due to lubrication can be a season breaker - not to mention a budget. So, yes it costs me more but I have confidence in the manufacturer's additives, and that gives me a little peace-of-mind when I fire up the big motor.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-12, 01:49 PM   #3
Abbeysdad

Well I guess I'm a convert - this just might be one of those "pay me now or pay me later" things that you just shouldn't ignore.
Old 07-02-12, 03:21 PM   #4
Abbeysdad

I have to wonder...I get Mercury 2 stroke oil regular or synthetic for $37/$38 a gallon.
I also see Mercury Quicksilver 2 stroke on the shelves at Wallymart for $20.
I have to wonder if Mercury Quicksilver is as good as the Mercury oil that sells for almost twice as much.

Anybody know???
Old 07-02-12, 03:53 PM   #5
F16 1UB
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Synthetic Pennzoil

Synthetic Pennzoil. This discussion will never cease upon oils. Maybe one of you chemical molecular geniuses on here will give us some advice. I'm wearing my flame retardent suit so have at it.
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-12, 08:39 PM   #6
Abbeysdad

I'm just reporting what the boat mechanic's said....whether the motor is Mercury, Johnson, Evenrude or whatever... always use the Manufacturers oil.
(I think) My question has at least some merit for my 90hp Mercury since Quicksilver is marketed by Mercury.
Old 07-03-12, 04:57 PM   #7
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If you go to "that other board" that is all about boats, the Merc guru's will tell ya quick to run Quicksilver. Older motors run non-synthetic.

FWIW, that's all I use in my 96 Mariner 225
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 09:37 PM   #8
lilmule

You need to use the equivalent of mfg oil,read the rating on the label.
He is correct it will get up quicker and run better overall with a 4 blade,and you are as well a whale tail will also keep the bow from popping up so much when rough,out of the water on normal plane so dont slow the boat down.Trim down I can run in 3 fters doing mid 40s in a 17 1/2 ft boat,stop its like being in a shower from side spray.IE Ky lake.
Im running a 17 1/2 ft hydrosport weighing 800 lbs where i used to run 20-21 fters,and almost as fast but not quite,they ran 48- 52 for 20 and 21 to-54mph,just keep the bow down and whale tail and prop act like a drag chute when going over,if it gets bouncy slow down or trim more down.The moment bow pops up that whale tail is giving it resistance as flat on the water it does limit the front end hop quite a bit.
Last time out was doing 43 mph most of the time with a 297 lb boat pard and we stayed dry.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 11:20 PM   #9
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
You need to use the equivalent of mfg oil,read the rating on the label.
He is correct it will get up quicker and run better overall with a 4 blade,and you are as well a whale tail will also keep the bow from popping up so much when rough,out of the water on normal plane so dont slow the boat down.Trim down I can run in 3 fters doing mid 40s in a 17 1/2 ft boat,stop its like being in a shower from side spray.IE Ky lake.
Im running a 17 1/2 ft hydrosport weighing 800 lbs where i used to run 20-21 fters,and almost as fast but not quite,they ran 48- 52 for 20 and 21 to-54mph,just keep the bow down and whale tail and prop act like a drag chute when going over,if it gets bouncy slow down or trim more down.The moment bow pops up that whale tail is giving it resistance as flat on the water it does limit the front end hop quite a bit.
Last time out was doing 43 mph most of the time with a 297 lb boat pard and we stayed dry.
Well they're (2 stroke OB oils) all rated TC-W3 these days so labels don't help much. The question is what additives are used in different oils that improve performance and engine protection.

Not sure I understood - are you recommending the Davis Whale Tail?

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 07-03-12 at 11:30 PM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 11:27 PM   #10
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
If you go to "that other board" that is all about boats, the Merc guru's will tell ya quick to run Quicksilver. Older motors run non-synthetic.

FWIW, that's all I use in my 96 Mariner 225
So what's in the Mercury Premium 2 stroke OB oil (or the Merc synthetic blend) that makes it twice as expensive as Mercury Quicksilver?

Older motors used to run non-synthetic blends, but that doesn't mean that can't run synthetic blends and benefit from them.....right?
Old 08-14-12, 01:53 PM   #11
Thornback

My 60HP Merc 4-stroke is 7 years old. I take her out on my 17.5 aluminum Bass Tracker about once a week. I usually keep my top speed around 4200 RPM. Being retired I'm in no hurry. My motor and boat have never been in a shop. About a year back I changed the water pump impeller myself. I'm still running the original oil and it's still at the original level and is not dirty. The motor runs geat at any speed and you can hardly hear it idle. I add Star-Tron, Sta-bil, injector cleaner and a few ounces of automatic transmission oil to the gasoline.
When I purchased the complete rig I was told to bring it back after a year for a checkup. So a year later when I called the shop they wanted to keep the boat a week and charge me $240. I said no way are you going to keep my boat a week just to look it over. I think they wanted to go fishing in it!!!
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-12, 06:07 PM   #12
MO_CPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
So I got the impeller replaced in my 90hp Merc OB. Cost $151 and change so it seemed really fair. He asked me what kind of oil I was using. Told him Penzoil.
He said don't use it - use Mercury oil instead - much better oil and won't smoke as much.
I asked him his opinion of hydrofoil stabilizers (was looking at Davis Whale Tail). I was looking for plane at lower speeds and better handling in rough water. He said don't bother...you won't like how it causes your 17 footer to wander and if you get a stick between the prop and the plate it will rip it apart. He said Merc is coming out next year with a 4 blade prop for your 90 that would allow plane at lower speeds (didn't say much about rough water handling).

My 90hp is oil injection so when I got back home, I pumped out the oil and replaced with Mercury OB 2 stoke oil.
I wonder if the propeller they were referring to is the Spitfire? It is a black aluminum 4-blade prop for up to 125hp Outboards. Here is the link:

http://www.mercurymarine.com/propell...inum/spitfire/
Old 08-17-12, 01:15 PM   #13
Abbeysdad

Well after a few runs on the water I have to admit there is much less smoke with the more expensive Mercury oil and the boat is running excellent. My wallet cries a little bit, but I'll keep buying the Mercury oil at $38.50 a gallon.
Old 08-21-12, 12:26 PM   #14
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO_CPA View Post
I wonder if the propeller they were referring to is the Spitfire? It is a black aluminum 4-blade prop for up to 125hp Outboards. Here is the link:

http://www.mercurymarine.com/propell...inum/spitfire/
Looks like the Spitfire 4 blade prop would work on my 90hp OB but not sure it does all I want and now wonder if it's worth $250~ to test it.
Old 08-21-12, 07:01 PM   #15
nobass

see if your can buy bulk oil from dealer they get it in 55 gal drums it is usually cheaper per gal.
Old 08-21-12, 09:41 PM   #16
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
see if your can buy bulk oil from dealer they get it in 55 gal drums it is usually cheaper per gal.
I think the dealers here are getting oil by the case. Besides, I'd need to get a loan to buy 55g of this black gold!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.