Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-08, 12:47 AM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Skunked and loving it

Saturday mornings have always been my fishing time. The only thing i regretted about was the fact that neither of my sons had any interest in it at all. They might tag along with me once in a blue moon, but it often led to debates about why they didn't need to bring the gameboy or what ever else they wanted to use to occupy their time. As one is entering highschool and one is on his footsteps, I had given up all hope of them ever wanting to fish. This weekend they surprised me. I got up at my usual 4:30 am to make coffee and check the updated weather before heading out. Both boys were not only awake, but they were dressed and sitting in the living room with rods in their hands. We were out the door at 5 and on the water before 5:30. I spent the first half hour going over refresher training on differnt baits as well as how to tie the hooks and technique. For the first time in a long time, I didn't get the impression that they heard me the way Charlie Borwn heard his teachers.
At 6:05 my 13 year old said "Dad, I think I am stuck on something. I looked over to see his line shooting off to the left and I yelled to give it a good jerk. It took all of five minute for him to land his three pounder. Less than 10 minutes later, the 14 year old followed suit with one 2 and a quarter. The boys spent the morning rummaging through my tackle box and throwing everything known to man. With each lure they had in depth questions. I spent the majority of my time explaining lures, rigs, and the little I know about bass. Around noon, we packed it up and headed home to pick up Mom's starbucks and get my honey do list started.
The day ended with the 14 year old landing 9 with the largest being 5.3 and the 13 year old landing 12 with the largest being 4.0. As for me, I ended up with a few lost lures, two bait casters that I might well strip and start over, and a big friggen smile from watching my boys. Oh yeah, I also had a nice tear in my shirt because the lesson on watching your rod tip before casting didn't sink in to the oldest.
Come Saturday evening, I asked them if they wanted to go and try to get in on some of the evening bite. Both were engrossed in XBOX, IPOD, and TV and didn't have the interest. It didn't matter to me. It was still one of my best fishing days ever.
I know it isn't much of a report, but I had to share anyways.
Old 07-29-08, 02:09 AM   #2
Tryinhard
BassFishin.Com Member

ya can't for much more Glad you have a good day with the boys
Tryinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 05:10 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

that's great man. reminds me of my childhood. great to read they did so good.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 05:25 PM   #4
Fishnngolfn

Awesome day. The memory of that day will stay with those boys FOREVER. I can't wait until my boy is old enough to take fishing. My daughter just has very little interest, but that still doesn't keep me from asking.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 06:32 PM   #5
crankybait

Sounds great! I'm sure they will always remember that day. It's a shame that they weren't interested from the start, but still nice to have them interested now.
Old 07-29-08, 09:44 PM   #6
Jim80

thats great man my favorite trips are with my dad and my sons just a great way to spend the morning .
Old 07-29-08, 10:00 PM   #7
brushhog

I took my 7 year old daughter out in the canoe for the first time the other day... Just like you, I was skunked and still had one of my best days ever.
Old 07-29-08, 10:13 PM   #8
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
,,,I know it isn't much of a report, but I had to share anyways.
Cass,
You did just fine! Made me feel all warm and fuzzy.
One question, though...about the Starbux....she sleeps 'til NOON?

Thanks much for sharing that with us and keep 'em fishin'!

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 12:48 PM   #9
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer6 View Post
Cass,

One question, though...about the Starbux....she sleeps 'til NOON?

Lancer6
No, she doesn't sleep till noon. Usually she is up much earlier, but I always bring back the starbucks as a peace offering for me disappearing for the mornings
Old 07-30-08, 02:03 PM   #10
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
No, she doesn't sleep till noon. Usually she is up much earlier, but I always bring back the starbucks as a peace offering for me disappearing for the mornings
Hahaha. I do the same thing with my wife but I bring her lunch from Zaxby's.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 02:14 PM   #11
Snake2715
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Great report. I cant wait for the day myself. My wife and I have yet to have any, but we are looking forward to it.

I recently took my best friends son out, just him and I. He had the ol' spongebob pole and I threw a little crappie jig on there. He caught a nice little bass all by himself. The bass pretty much set the hook for him, and he reeled it in himself. I think I scared half the fish off the lake, I was so excited for him.

Hopefully that day spawns many more for you, and if not the memory will last forever.
Old 07-30-08, 02:28 PM   #12
MississippiBoy

Snaggle tooth grin...gotta love it...
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 11:36 PM   #13
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

looks like you daniel. hahahahaha!!!!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.