Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 06-02-10, 07:49 AM   #1
tarpon120
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Guntersville

Heading to Guntersville today for a long weekend. Taking boat up today and camper tomorrow, might even take a couple kayaks just to make sure we have all bases covered for fishing. Will definetly get in plenty of fishing over the next four days. We have fished this lake a about a dozen times all from kayaks with good success. Any suggestions on this lake would be greatly appreciated. Planning on posting pictures next week when we return.
tarpon120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-10, 05:24 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ok tarpon, gotta know exactly WHERE you are gonnna be camping in order to give oyu any help. if oyu are at the STATE park camping area. head straight out from the state launch to the little island, go to the right of it (shallow area, real grassy too) fish there. then come back towards the campsite but turn left and go into TOWN CREEK, ther is a rock bluff right before the bridge. water is around 30 ft deep there in places, fish the rock ledges with DEEP cranks. and go under the bridge all the way up town creek. fish along the way pal.
Old 06-02-10, 10:14 PM   #3
tarpon120

Bama, We are staying at the park, carried the boat this afternoon going back in the morning with camper. We have fished short creek pretty extensively in kayaks and plan to hit the upper end early am and late pm. Have caught quite a few nice fish in that creek. Don't know the rest of the lake. First trip taking boat, so can pretty much go anywhere, will also have kayaks with us. Appreciate the info.
Old 06-02-10, 10:23 PM   #4
bamabassman

ok, great. straight out is the main river. if looking out that way, go extreme right. that is town creek. great fishing in there. you got deep roky bluff to shallow water with grass too. caught many a small ones (only cuz i can't catch em big,lol) in the areas i told you about.
straight out to that little island is a drop off, goes from like 20' to 3' very quickly. then is fairly shallow with a lot of grass. on the other side to the right is another good area. watch for the shad. if oyu see it busting up and want to catch some small ones jsut for the fun of it. slap on a fluke, rooster tail or other shad type bait and let her rip.
Old 06-02-10, 10:35 PM   #5
tarpon120

Thanks for the info, have you fished short creek? I've seen the most shad that I have ever seen at one time in my life their last year and fishing was really good. Caught some nice fish at the shoal as far as you can go up the creek. Stay to the left of the island going in it's deeper. Wife caught a sauger in there and about stroked, she went to lip it and saw teeth. It really got loud at that point.
Old 06-02-10, 10:41 PM   #6
bamabassman

probably have and didn't really know it. haha. i usually launch at b.b. comer bridge. but i just might hit town creek this saturday. either there or south sauty. it gets crowded REALLY quick at the bridge.

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA ON THE SAUGER!
Old 06-02-10, 10:49 PM   #7
tarpon120

Bama, I'll be in a Stratos 285 with Yamaha, white with yellow, dual console. Wife is just about always with me. Look us up, seriously.
Old 06-03-10, 09:47 PM   #8
bamabassman

ok, IF i go to town creek. when you are out there, look for a 97 WHITE Z-71. i have a black CAJUN rig. it has gold stripeing. also may have a black and white COLLIE with me. haha.
Old 06-26-10, 07:27 PM   #9
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Uh

Speaking of teeth ,it doesnt bother you being in a yak with gators?
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-10, 07:52 PM   #10
WTL

I've never seen a gator at guntersville. There are a couple there, but they are rare. G'ville also has boaters everywhere and they dont prefer that type of company. Most gators on that river are on the wildlife refuges way back in there.

I was followed yesterday by a 4' gator while I was in my kayak (it was on a small reservoir). It wasnt enough to make me panic, but it did shorten my trip. He would follow every move I made, and always kept about 30' out....a couple times crossed in front of where I was fishing. I believe if it came to blows I would have taken him, but I might have had to go swimming to do it.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-10, 11:39 PM   #11
lilmule

A few years back(like 10-12) I saw one about 12 ft there,looked dead as grey and dry(it wasnt).I was in a 17 ft javelin IT WASNT BIG ENUFF
Most of the time ive happened upon them,I scared them about as much as they did me they tell me,I dont believe it one bit
At least on Ky lake we dont have them ,do have cottonmouths that love to curl up in the splashwell if you let them.
Old 06-27-10, 12:16 AM   #12
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
A few years back(like 10-12) I saw one about 12 ft there,looked dead as grey and dry(it wasnt).I was in a 17 ft javelin IT WASNT BIG ENUFF
Most of the time ive happened upon them,I scared them about as much as they did me they tell me,I dont believe it one bit
At least on Ky lake we dont have them ,do have cottonmouths that love to curl up in the splashwell if you let them.
Dang lilmule I hate it when snakes fall on the boat--like you said it AIN'T BIG ENUFF!!!!!
Old 06-27-10, 07:29 AM   #13
lilmule

Well those states more southern have gators,including va (great dismal swamp),but contrary to what people think the cottonmouth extends all the way into Il.,La Rue swamp.
And has actual thicker or larger populations around here in places like the Obion watershed,ending up over at Murphies pond ky which has 720 per hectre,that works out to one every 22 sq ft or so,Reelfoot slightly below in Tn would be a very close second.
Copperheads occur all around ky lake in wooded areas,but not thick or over run with them,lbl has timber and pigmy ratters along with the trace below.
Cottonmouths occur more in the mid to southern portion of the lake but can be encountered anywhere.
So prior to actually taking the boat back in the buckbrush take a look at the limbs,yes they like to rest on them and do drop in,more common unless disturbed is for them to just swim up and desire a rest area-splashwell.
Being close the water doesnt appeal to me,sorry no yaks in swampy stuff.
Worse no float tubes in same
One last thing most snakes are harmless,even if not if left alone generally they leave you alone
Old 06-27-10, 09:17 AM   #14
bamabassman

ain't ever seen a gator on g'ville. but i ain't been all ove the place either. big lake,lol. but i HAVE SEEN some of the cottonmouths, HUGE. seen really huge ones on the mobile delta too. had several of those thangs follow me around down there as well as up here. which reminds me that i really need to get me a little 22 to carry in the boat, sos i can shoot em before they get IN the boat. paddles only make em mad, and trebles don't make em bleed enough, lol.
tarpon.sorry i didn't make that day pal. i have so many things going on around here. i can't get it all done, lol. maybe in a month or so i will be able to hit g'ville again.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.