Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 07-10-14, 11:18 PM   #1
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default July 10th Report

Well the tide was right and so back we went deep into the dead pads..lots of dead pads..but just below the water line is a whole new set of fresh pads emerging. We found 3 Potomac Pike and fed them toads and hollow bodies. All three did get not get hooked well enough to land. Good fights but they shook the hook each time. It was an hour later and a pesky LGMouth was landed.

Later we came across a group of four Potomac Pike that nipped and never really hit, but man did they rush our lures.. heart just about jumped out our chest..what a rush.

The rain started and boy did it turn the pesky LGMouth on. Several would run 20 feet to eat out lures. Many chunky dark golden LGMouth till after dark.. Great ending...Lost count of how many we landed.

Capt Mike
Old 07-12-14, 06:25 AM   #2
lilmule

Nice day,what is the plant in the background that sticks up like celery stalks?We get buckbrush here but normally not that thick.I had always thought our pads to be yellow lotus and a few are most were spatterdock,do know how to tell the difference now.
A few lillies appear during drawdown,small varieties mostly,like the dollar lilly,
I sprouted some of my neighbors yellow lotus she let me gather some,and in the past had poor results,one has to scour the seeds at the tip,actually used a bench grinder,already 1 1/2 tall to the top of a 5 gal bucket need to transplant.Spatterdock has the v in the leaf,yellow lotus is just round,both however will grow above the water line.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 09:22 AM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm not sure what it is about dying or dead pads that still holds bass, but they sure seem to. Some of my best days came fishing pads on their last leg in late fall. Hopefully, your next post will have some pics of the Potomac Pike. Sounds like you had a good day though.
Old 07-12-14, 10:34 PM   #4
Captmikestarrett

The thick green clumps in the pouring rain pic are Pickerel grass. The nice thing about what we call pickle grass is the edges of it have 6 inches extra water. All the LGMouth and Potomac pike live just under that grass. Never ever cast to the water around it. Instead cast right into it and swim the bait out. 80% of hits occur as it slips into the water.

Spaderdock is a plant that grows up in clumps from the main root. An entire cove can contain one plant that is literately hundreds of years old. A piece of the root can be sprouted. It grows over top of itself and each sprout look like a hand with fingers up to the pads. The cool thing about it is no hydrilla will grow in the palm of those hands. Perfect hiding spot for fish.

American Lotus can grow a 6-8 foot long stem so it can find sunlight and crowd out other plants all the way thru the tide changes. It is the hardest of all plants to fish with a string root and a main root that are maybe 30lb test. I avoid them.

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.