Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-07, 08:08 PM   #1
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default OBX surf report

Ok I am not tethered to one style of fishing and for the last 30 years more or less I have made a pilgramidge to salty sand covered beaches of the outer banks of north cackalackey in search of big red drum. I have caught and recorded 44 inchers in the surf and many other species also.
Sumptin about the wind, surf and sand calls to me like a sirens song with the turning of the leaves and a chill of the air. I can remember sitting in the sand and feeling the thump of the big spot tails through my fingers in the sand as a school crushes sand fleas in the surf. OH I am so addicted this pursuit of big red fish.. This year I wanted to add days to my yearly trip but life has a way of getting in the way. So I make lemonaid out of lemons..

First day I figure out the shell at the first roll of the surf has fish in it. I cast far out and in sneaky move slide my bait in to about 30 feet from the shore. Till I feel the shell. 20 or 30 fishermen around me at THE POINT do not know my secret......

I catch six more like it and release them due to misinformation..

Mis information is a slot limit of 18-27 and I was told by several fisherman it was 18-24. All my fish where under 27 and over 18.. Hmmm a plot I see befalls before me.

Later we set up with the wives in the hook and proceed to limit out in the real slot..

Doubles

Sunset comes and I am worn out..

So we ended up with a bunch of porgies and about ten lbs of blue fish for kitty bait and twelve sweet spot tail fillets.

It was a great three days of fishing once again.

Oh did I mention that winds kicked up to 45 mph and temps dropped 30 degrees in two hours.. Gotta love OBX

Capt Mike
Old 11-18-07, 08:50 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hell mike all you would have had to do was ask me. i would have told ya the blasted slot limit. ya got to hate catching a toad and then forced to release it.. the trout and reds are kickin in-shore according to my boys on location..

zooker
Old 11-18-07, 09:12 PM   #3
Captmikestarrett

You know it really did not matter that much. (killing fish aint my bag) But I REALLY do not like being lied too. When I caught the first one I asked an older gent (like there was an older gent around) what was the slot? Later I got back to my truck and settled down after two hours of just plain fun and pulled out my license paper work and I felt a little anger. So I left my truck and headed back to the point but the winds kicked up to 45 mph and the exposed skin was sand blasted.. I think they call that at spas expoliant treatment. It made my eyes bleed but oddly I enjoyed it.

Capt Mike
Old 11-18-07, 09:17 PM   #4
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Nice reds! Thats the same slot limit down here aswell. Those slots sure do have some great tasting meat, but the larger bulls over 40" arent worth anything meat-wise... Also beautiful blue tint to the tails, we dont see that much in Texas.

tb
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-07, 09:46 PM   #5
Captmikestarrett

Thanks I noticed the blue tint aswell.

Capt Mike
Old 11-18-07, 09:53 PM   #6
zooker

i said nothing about killing the drum.. just said hate releasing a fish like that..

i never seen the blue tint out side of the nc coastal area.. i have caught drum in ga and fl and never seen the tint like they have here..

this is the lower obx area.. i fish the upper-you can tell from the amount of beach and the orv access...

zooker
Old 11-18-07, 10:13 PM   #7
Captmikestarrett

I know zooker but lots of people would look at my report and shake there heads at the thought of killing a fish. I find this mindset on a lot of boards. Here on the Potomac if you kill a LGMouth it is a sin.. 99 percent of anglers release there catch.

I come from an older time when trash cans of bluefish where used as fertilizer for farmers.

Times change...and I make lemonaid....

Capt Mike
Old 11-18-07, 10:36 PM   #8
zooker

you are right mike i release alot of bass my self. i do keep some salty fish mostly trout and drum.. it is a personal choice we each most choose it.. it really don't bother me if someone kept a bass now and again..

zooker
Old 11-20-07, 03:12 PM   #9
adamgambill
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Nice reds there mad mike. Hope they keep catchin'.
Old 11-21-07, 01:15 AM   #10
Super Fluke

Nice job, that looks like fun
Old 11-22-07, 04:25 PM   #11
Christopherkeene9

Nice reds! We get that blue tail down here alot in the lagoon. It's caused by them eating a big diet of crabs, specifacally blue crabs I believe. I love it, it gives them an added touch to their copper color.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.