Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 07-30-08, 12:53 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default San Diego River

For those of you that don't know, San Diego has something they call a river. The water does not flow so I consider it a long narrow lake. Here is a report that I submitted on another site.

I started by throwing a weightless 4" purple robo. First cast resulted in first fish. Nothing spectacular, would have weighed in right at 1 lbs. Stuck with that for a few minutes and caught another. then I did what every fisherman would do when he has a bait getting hit. I decided to try a different one. I fished flukes for about 20 minutes, but I only had the 5 inch ones with me, and from what I could tell, the bait fish there were much smaller.
The started seeing a lot of breaks and boils in the middle and along the trees, so I started tossing a frog. I caught my biggest of the day with the frog, 2.5. I also had a near strike that will be one of the lessons learned. As it started getting darker, I noticed the bait fish jumping for their lives followed by splash of the bass. I switched to 3 inch rapala and simply watched for the baitfish to start jumping. It only took a minute or so to see the water boiling and to drop the Rapala in the middle of it. Had to do this on three different boils, but it finally paid off. Not having a light with me, I decided that 8:15 was a good time to call it quits. I am pleased with 4 fish in 90 minutes of fishing, so it was good.

LESSONS LEARNED

I don't know that these are so much lessons I learned or simply things that I needed to be reminded of. In either case, I am sure my mamaw and papaw (grandparents for those of you who don't speak redneck) would be disappointed that the kid who grew up on a farm wouldn't have thought of these before.

1) Bodies of water attract mosquitoes. the first two or three are not annoying, but after 25 or more bites, it down right stinks. Nothing a little bug repellant won't fix.

2) Business casual is not fishing attire. It is okay to go straight from work to fishing, but a change of clothes is recommended, and shoes are a must.

3) Small land bridges are not stable ground. I am not going to call it quick sand, but I did make a few badly placed steps. (see rule 2)

4) Large quantities of mosquitoes attract spiders to build webs along the path.
4A) Spider webs taste nasty. This is a direct result of me not having a light with me and not walking with the darn poles in front of me.

5) Birds like frogs too. This is my near strike. One of the large blue cranes was standing on the left side. He resisted temptation the first time I cast near him, but I guess he got overwhelmed the second time. It was kinda neat to see him try to get it. Of course I began reeling for the frogs life because I sure didn't want to try and land the bird.

6) If I need a place to throw out my old grill, there is an established precedent. Okay, this one actually pisses me off. I can not picture a time in my life when I said. Hey, I bet I can toss this grill in the river.

I am sure I will be heading back soon. Hopefully with more fish than lessons.
Old 07-31-08, 11:37 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 09:12 PM   #3
3dkicker

Think of #6 as just more cover to catch bass off of. You know lemons = lemonaid type thing.
Old 08-02-08, 10:43 PM   #4
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Think of #6 as just more cover to catch bass off of. You know lemons = lemonaid type thing.
I know that is positive thinking but it is still littering. There is a big difference in placing cover for fish and dumping old crap. Littering (especially dumping) is a pet peeve of mine. People who litter are just plain trash and there is no nice way of putting it.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.