Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-09, 03:20 PM   #1
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bargain Cave Blunder

So I just discovered that Cabelas bargain cave is not just an online section of their website. The physical store actually has a Bargain Cave area. After visiting Cabelas all these years I took my first trip into the Bargain Cave over my lunch hour. The jackpot was all set for me as a first-time Cave visitor. There was a Pflueger Arosa Baitcaster sitting there as though it was waiting for me. I picked it up, crank the handles a few times, looked it over, saw that it had 8 bearings, then saw the prices: $32.00. My bargain instinct fell prey to skepticism as I figured there must be something horribly wrong with this real. I mean, an $130.00 for $32.00? There must be some hidden flaw that doesn’t reveal itself until you start using it. Then as I sat in my office I thought to myself, ‘hell, what’s $32?” So I immediately went back to the cave after work. Yep, it was gone. I was sick. I walked around the cave for about 15-20 minutes looking in other areas hoping someone had only moved the reel and it was sitting in the hunting section or something. Nope. So I started looking online at the reel and read some reviews. From all accounts it was an outstanding reel. So I went out of my way on Saturday and went back to the cave to see if the reel has magically appeared. Uh, no.

So, does anybody here use the Pflueger Asora and would like to deepen my depression by telling me how wonderful it is?
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 06:20 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I don't have one to give you any more heartbreak than you have but as Bill Clinton once said, " I feel your pain ". I've had the same thing happen to me more than once at various stores, and always kick myself. Usually I tell myself at the time that I shouldn't spend that money right now, then regret it later.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 07:12 PM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you mean the Asaro (the gold reel) - YOU MISSED IT. I have 4 and they are pretty darn nice - $32 they're d*** nice. 8 bearings, 6 pin internal brake. I have both narrow and wide spool versions and use them for crankbaits. The narrow spool, while 6.3:1, has a slower rate of retreive that the other Pflueger reels. I like them specifically for cranks. In the Bargain Cave, it may have been a demo, but that would not have hurt it at all. Sorry if that makes you feel any worse................
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 08:25 PM   #4
Bassboss

Wow man, that REALLY SUCKS! I've heard that they're really good reels too, for 32$, I would really be crapping my self for not getting it then.......
Old 10-12-09, 08:42 PM   #5
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I don't have one to give you any more heartbreak than you have but as Bill Clinton once said, " I feel your pain ". I've had the same thing happen to me more than once at various stores, and always kick myself. Usually I tell myself at the time that I shouldn't spend that money right now, then regret it later.
All this time I thought Bill's best quote was "Anybody want a cigar?"
Old 10-12-09, 10:26 PM   #6
Bender

If its any consolation it could have had something wrong with it. A lot of Bargain Cave items are returns.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 12:55 AM   #7
islandbass

Funny you mention that. The first time I walked into my local cabela's that was the first place I discovered. There was a lot of broken items among some fair deals. I always look in there for the you never know what you'll find/too good of a deal to pass up. As Bender says, many of the items appear to be returns.

Sorry that you missed out.
Old 10-13-09, 09:25 AM   #8
riverfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

You can hit Cabela's on your lunch break!!?!! Sorry ya lost the reel but having a Cabelas that close to you must be sweet. I would be BROKE and DIVORCED!!
riverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 10:41 AM   #9
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfisher View Post
You can hit Cabela's on your lunch break!!?!! Sorry ya lost the reel but having a Cabelas that close to you must be sweet. I would be BROKE and DIVORCED!!
Yeah it is pretty sweet having Cabelas 3 minutes away. Especially in the winter when I’m unable to fish over lunch. I just hope they don’t get suspicious when they see me in the Bargain Cave everyday. They might think I’m preparing to shoplift or something.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 11:39 AM   #10
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4942 View Post
Yeah it is pretty sweet having Cabelas 3 minutes away. Especially in the winter when I’m unable to fish over lunch. I just hope they don’t get suspicious when they see me in the Bargain Cave everyday. They might think I’m preparing to shoplift or something.
Haha...you're like an old lady going back to the same park where she met her one true love when she was 16, hoping he'll be there.....
Old 10-14-09, 03:31 PM   #11
BoyoBoyle
BassFishin.Com Member

The bargain cave is good.

They sometimes have a lot of rods on sale with broken tips. They still have all the original tape and stickers on but i guess sometimes when they are moving and packaging the rods, some of the tips bust off. Sometimes they even put a new tip on. I bought a Cabela's Tourney Trail 7' Medium for 15$, normally 60-70$. It had a replacement tip and it was overall 2 inches shorter than it normally is. I thought it was a good deal.
BoyoBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 03:56 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4942 View Post
So, does anybody here use the Pflueger Asora and would like to deepen my depression by telling me how wonderful it is?

I have two of them. They are my favorite reel by far outperform any other reel I have or have used, including the Daiwa Zillion. Best reel on the market, IMO and I'd pay $250 for another one if I had to.

ok, I was just kidding, of course, lol. it always sucks to miss a good deal though...

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.