Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-09, 03:14 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Took My Dad Fishing for Salmon

Dad’s Fishing Derby (as he calls it)

Date: Friday, October 30, 2009

I took my dad fishing for salmon this past Friday. He didn’t want to go fishing initially but much to my pleasure and surprise, he changed his mind.

We found a section of the Green River in Auburn, which I missed during my initial scouting trip not too long ago while the Mrs. was shopping at the Super Mall nearby. I have never fished this section of the Green River either, but its traits were perfect for us. It was a flat, clear area that was convenient to fish from the bank.

Pink salmon (our best bet) or if we’re lucky, the elusive Coho (aka Silver) Salmon were our targets.

We arrive at this spot at about noon. There were only three other persons fishing. I got set up my dad’s rod with a lure traditionally used by many anglers in this area. It is called a “corky” or drift bobber with some yarn and scent. After I showed him how to work it, I proceeded to set up my rig the same way.

The others fishing with us were fishing the same lure. After some time had passed, two new anglers showed up and started fishing. They also got into some fish rather quickly. I took notice and after they landed a few fish, I saw that they were using a marabou jig.

Fortunately, I had brought a few homemade jigs that I was planning to try later in the day. Their success prompted me to change tactics. Although I had not tried used these jigs for real world use yet (only field-testing a couple times at a local lake to view action), I figured I had nothing to lose. I chose a jig with fuchsia colored marabou similar to the bottom one in the image below.

In less than 5 minutes, about the third cast, I feel something take the jig and although it was my first time trying this technique, instinct took over and I set the hook set. I successfully landed a pink salmon and was completely surprised and shocked. My surprise was that the jig worked and my shock was for not having a “deer in the headlights” moment, which I have occasionally. In addition, it is a great feeling to hook into and catch a fish, and that feeling is magnified and even sweeter when you do so with a lure you made yourself.

Ten minutes had not even passed before pink salmon #2 bit the line! It was also successfully landed.

I asked my dad if he wanted to try a jig and he declined. Matter of fact, I had to hook into my third salmon before he changed his mind. After I set the hook, I handed my rod to my dad so that he could feel what it was like to fight one. I did not want him to go home skunked. He had a blast bringing it in and he was amazed at how strong every tug felt.

This is my dad fighting his first salmon.

I tied the jig that brought me success onto his rig and showed him how to work it. A few minutes later, he hooks into one but loses it. The good thing about that was that his vigor and determination were renewed. Finally, success for my dad! He hooks and lands his first salmon of any kind.

Dad’s first solo hooked and landed salmon.

That really made my day and I felt the pressure of getting him into fish dissipate with the evanescence of alka-seltzer. Praise the Lord!

My dad catches his next pink salmon just before I land my fourth one.

We continued fishing for about another hour, but there was one final piece of personal glory for one of these two anglers.

You see, the Silver or “Coho” salmon that reside in this river have the harsh reputation of being “stingy” and “lock-jawed”, almost always rejecting the presentations and offerings of fishermen and women. As a matter of fact, all of the other anglers fishing along side us were not targeting pink salmon, but silver salmon, and they did not hook into nor catch either. They left EMPTY-HANDED for both. So where is this going? Read on.

At about 4:30 p.m., I started packing up the gear while my dad continued fishing.

After I got everything ready, I looked up toward dad. Before I could tell him it was time to go, he hooks into another salmon. I didn’t think much of it at that moment until I observed that this salmon appeared to be very feisty and jumped with the frequency of a jackrabbit. I started to think that this might not be a pink salmon. I rushed up to dad and coached him to keep the line taut no matter what happens so that he could keep the chance of losing this one to a minimum. Praise the Lord again! He brought it in successfully but there was more to it.

It was a bright and beautiful silver, or Coho salmon. Dad managed to do what no one else could that day, and that was, to land a silver salmon. No one even hooked into one. So this is solely my dad’s sweet victory and vindication for all of his patience and persistence. Dad definitely gets the trophy for the landing the only silver salmon in that area that day.

This is a bright (meaning fresh) fish and it is in pristine shape.

Dad’s smile says it all.

We could not have asked for a better day. I still cannot believe how successful this outing was especially considering my lack of experience with this jig fishing technique and fishing and unfamiliar section of water. By day’s end, caught a total of eight fish, four each. We kept two pinks and his silver salmon.

My goal was to get my dad into his first salmon and I am blessed to have achieved that goal. It was definitely a special day, and a great time. I won’t forget this day any time soon, and I am inclined to believe that my father will not forget as well.

Conditions: Overcast, approximately 50 degrees
Dad’s Gear: 6’6” Shimano Compre Spinning Rod, Rapala 30 4Sxi spinning reel with 10# Sufix Siege monofilament line. Bass gear… Imagine that!
Alex’s Gear: 8’6” Lamiglas Norwest Special Casting Rod, Shimano Curado 201DHSV casting reel with 12# Yozuri Hybrid line.
Old 11-04-09, 04:23 AM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Awesome post, I always enjoy hearing and seeing what you left coasters get into fishing wise. Someday, someday....
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 07:45 AM   #3
woody

Alex, I enjoyed reading that, thanks!

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 08:33 AM   #4
bcklash

I enjoyed reading this post. Wonderful and your right the smile says it all.
Old 11-04-09, 10:28 AM   #5
nofearengineer

Thanks for the great story and pics, Islandbass.

I remember fishing with my Dad on my trips to California, and you are right. It is a very special memory...something to cherish after they inevitably pass on.
Old 11-04-09, 10:49 AM   #6
Abbeysdad

Nice story...makes me wish I could go back in time and fish again with my dad.
Old 11-04-09, 10:59 AM   #7
WaffleJaw

I think every single one of us wants to experience something like that...That was a great,great story...
So you think your dad is gonna be calling you to go fishing now?lol
Old 11-04-09, 09:09 PM   #8
bamabassman

MAN..I got to tell you. I got tears in my eyes reading this post. CONGRATS to you dad. Yes his smile says it all too. Thank you for this post. Truly thank you.
Old 11-05-09, 10:31 AM   #9
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Awesome post Islandbass. Sometimes it's more enjoyable to see another person catch a fish than to catch one yourself. Last year up in Canada, my dad caught his first ever muskie and that was one of the coolest catches of my life, let alone his. I've never caught a muskie, either, but to see his reaction and joy just like your dad had, makes everything worth while.
Old 11-06-09, 02:22 PM   #10
Bassboss

Great post IB!! And wtg for getting dad out on the water! Looks like a really fun trip though, them salmon musta been really fun for you guys!

J'yall eat 'em?
Old 11-06-09, 02:23 PM   #11
Racemaster33
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Fishing......

Now that's what fishing is supposed to be about!

Everytime we get in a fast pace, hurry, hurry, tourney type run to catch fish we need to think back on post's like this one. That's what fishing is supposed to be like. Taking your son/daughter fishing and having them return the favor when we are older is top notch quality time.
I don't have children but often take a neighbor kid or friend that normally doesn't get to go. Just seeing them have fun is worth the trip. I often spend more time babysetting whoever I take and running the boat but it's all worth it when you hear them call family or friends with their fishing report for the day.

What a great post, love 'dad's' smile at the end! I would say that most all of us had the same smile on our face when we read it.
Racemaster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 03:41 PM   #12
Cavs1123

awesome post island

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.