Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 10-19-12, 09:00 AM   #1
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Weiss lake

Since they are draining Weiss,curious as to if this will effect the dead river section that the 21 mile canal sort of isolated a great many endangered species still exist there.Must admit always wanted to catch a coosa bass of some size.
Is this being done by the coe or alabama power and light?
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-12, 09:24 AM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

power company does this EVERY year. why i don't know. they SAY it's because of the winter runn off in the spring, in other words so the lake doesn't flood come spring. in truth i think it's because there has been a lawsuit from georgia wanting to divert the river to ATLANTA cause they are running out of water. georgia has had this lawsuit for i don't know how long. they are claiming (from what i understand) that it is THEIR river, not tenn (where it starts) NOR is it alabama's (which winds through to the end). mostly waht you'll get on weiss are spotted bass (not very big) and largemouth. at least that is what i have caught. it used to be (and they still claim this too) the crappie capitol of the south. they stock crappie in it every feb (i think). it is pretty barren of vegetation on the lower end and it is SHALLOW in most spots. there ARE some huge stripe bass in there i hear, but i haven't caught any. don't do the crappie either, lol. i DID see a buddy of mine pull out a 9 plus pound largemouth, wouldn't have believed it unless i PERSONALLY seen it...and i did. i put in at the leesburg launch. fish the lower end. i have found a couple of spots that hold some bass but they ain't real big. one day i will figure it out....hopefully.hahaha. below the weiss dam is another lake. haven't fished it at all really, only 1 time for a couple of hours. didn't get a thing. so i know nothing about that area.
Old 10-19-12, 11:46 AM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Something like nickajack then,water someone else wants.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-12, 03:01 PM   #4
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If you want a coosa, I know some of the middle coosa river lakes are loaded with them.. Below jordan and mitchell dams are pretty much nothing but coosas, with good quality.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.