Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 11-11-12, 06:35 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default A little shore fishing

The temp today was a balmy 70 degrees so I decided to head out to Loomis Lake and do a little shore casting. The city has a nice park there with plenty of shoore to cast from. It was warm but man oh man was it windy! At one point I was walking down the pier when a gust of wind sprayed water from the lake all over me and literally knocked me down. Needless to say casting was almost impossible unless you had the wind nearly at your back. But it sent your lure flying when you did! I tried, stick baits, lipless cranks, spinnerbaits, Bruces chatterbaits, and shallow cranks along with jigs. I didn't catch anything, but did loose a whopper. I was casting a 3/8 oz jig with a craw trailor from a ridge at the edge of the lake. The pictures show you the exact spot. It's about a 8-10 foot rise from the water to the top of the bank. From there I could work the jig as though I was in a boat. The wind was at my back allowing me to nearly cast across this inlet which feeds into a bay. Old lilly pads are still there along with some grass. They are of course thinning fast this time of year. It was nearly impossible feeling the jig with the wind, waves, grass and leaves along the bottom, etc. At one point I thought I had hung up on a glob of grass. No motion in my line, just a lot of weight. I was lifting the "grass" upwards towards me and something didn't feel quite right. I set the hook but still didn't feel any fight, just heavy weight comming along with my jig. Just then I saw the bass, guessing about 6 pounds from what I could see, came to the surface with my jig in it's mouth, rolled on the surface and dived. Out popped my jig and I just stood there in disbelief. I hated loosing that pig, but it still was a pleasent experience to have just before things freeze up. The forcast for tomorrow is only 37 degrees for a high. Only in the midwest do you drop from a high of 70 to a high of 37.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Loomis.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	8335   Click image for larger version

Name:	loomistwo.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	8336  
Old 11-11-12, 07:55 PM   #2
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Glad you got out. I was going to go, but decided I didn't feel like fighting the wind.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 09:31 PM   #3
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sorry you missed your pig. I am surprised I don't lose more than I do. I never sharpen my hooks.
Old 11-11-12, 10:53 PM   #4
WatterBoy

Good to see you got out, Keith. Sorry about the lost fish. Hope you get to try again before things freeze over.

We had 77 here yesterday. It's 27 now with 20+ mph winds. Might get down into the teens tomorrow night.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 12:58 AM   #5
bamabassman

good for you keith DAWG, lol. man, i coverd up the ol cajun today. i was gonna empty her today but lisa said not yet. she is thinkng we can still go before it gets too cold. i got other things going on right now and doubt if we can but we'll see.
Old 11-12-12, 04:53 AM   #6
joedog

Kieth, glad you got out to enjoy the day.
Sorry about the pig loss!
Sorry that the next few lines may not make you happy.

If I were to copy and paste your post almost word for, I'd be pretty accurate.
Weeds and vegetation here are dead but dragging a jig can still bring some green up with it.

Take your description only tossing a Texas rigged SK Space Monkey (named after me) and add first cast and your escaping convict was 6lb. 12 ozs and didn't spit out lure WE had an IDENTICAL day!

Only bite or fish all day.
Ya I got pics.
Ya I promised myself and my friends here that EVEN if it drives me insane....I WILL GET THESE DAM things posted.
Bruce gave me some pointers and I tried it 'once' after receiving. Some minor thing went wrong and I instantly gave up AGAIN.
I've never been a quitter but this posting pic crap is NO joy what so ever for me.
I have some 'mental block' or something.
I recommitted to getting it accomplished THIS WEEK!
Sorry about the hijack kieth!
Old 11-12-12, 08:45 PM   #7
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Kieth, glad you got out to enjoy the day.
Sorry about the pig loss!
Sorry that the next few lines may not make you happy.

If I were to copy and paste your post almost word for, I'd be pretty accurate.
Weeds and vegetation here are dead but dragging a jig can still bring some green up with it.

Take your description only tossing a Texas rigged SK Space Monkey (named after me) and add first cast and your escaping convict was 6lb. 12 ozs and didn't spit out lure WE had an IDENTICAL day!

Only bite or fish all day.
Ya I got pics.
Ya I promised myself and my friends here that EVEN if it drives me insane....I WILL GET THESE DAM things posted.
Bruce gave me some pointers and I tried it 'once' after receiving. Some minor thing went wrong and I instantly gave up AGAIN.
I've never been a quitter but this posting pic crap is NO joy what so ever for me.
I have some 'mental block' or something.
I recommitted to getting it accomplished THIS WEEK!
Sorry about the hijack kieth!
Way to go Joe. Looking foreward to seeing those pics!
Old 11-13-12, 02:45 PM   #8
Bassboss

hahaha! Blame that one on the wind!
Old 11-13-12, 08:51 PM   #9
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
hahaha! Blame that one on the wind!
Ya got that right!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.