Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 03-28-14, 01:01 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Medical Ripoff

Had a sprained wrist in February. The doctor gave me a brace. You know the kind with the velcro straps around it.

Got my bill from the doctor today.

My insurance paid for everything but my copay, and one other thing:

Line item $458.00 for "custom orthosis".

There was nothing custom at all about mine. It wasn't fitted or anything. It came out of a box.

I found it online. The MSRP is $34.99

Nothing like a little 1300% markup.

No way I'm paying for it.

My inner honey badger is coming out.

I wonder how many "no insurance" patients and lawyers are enjoying the fruits of our labors.
Old 03-28-14, 03:31 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yeah, I believe I would fight that one. A lot. Hard. Loudly.
Old 03-28-14, 03:37 PM   #3
nofearengineer

They made a "coding error".

The girl should have typed "L3908" instead of "L3906".

The real price is $85.

After they resubmit it to my insurance, the final amount should be....drum roll...around $35.

I wonder how many people just take it, pay their bill, and shut up?

And I wonder if someone with no insurance had the same injury, would his bill have been $35 to start with?
Old 03-28-14, 04:01 PM   #4
bassboogieman

It's so hard to get good help these days. Just wait, I read on line (you can always trust the internet, bonjour) that Obama is going to hire people from the welfare rolls to administer Obamacare... In one swoop he'll get people off welfare and working, paying taxes in addition to increasing the number inept federal employees in the muddling up the bureaucracy.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-14, 04:41 PM   #5
lilmule

Quite a few would pay,my wife would I know as stopped her from doing so,and I was right they had billed medicare in the wrong ss number so they hadnt payed at all then turned over to a collection agency all said and done owed 8 dollars not 500.
Got an apology as well.
Had we paid do you think we would ever see any of it back.
Their are a few very few doctors that became such to help people the vast majority did it to get rich,retire early.But when I find one that cant add or subtract I take a big chunk of their pride.
Bankers are just as stubbern oh the computer cant be wrong , checks bounced statement was 8 dollars lack of insufficient funds 35 dollar overdraft charge balance $1,637 three phone calls got that computer cant be wrong,weekend came I went in 17 bounced checks later and hundreds of dollars in overdraft fees shoved notice in front of one and said read it.Response oh my,they had to call everyone of those people and reinburse them.As had them calling me up and saying deadbeat crap etc.
Listen up folks the computer only knows what a human inputs and they do screw up by themselves but often with human error.To this day their is a check cashing program in ohio that does not like my name.
I got a more recent check on reality when I refinanced my homelast year,some guy same last name in virginia(im from w.va) was wanted for child support had to sign papers stating I was not such.And another using same name but 1 number different on ss came up guess someone tried to be me(tried to buy a car didnt fly),havnt a clue why as sometimes I dont want to be me.
Also a hospital had copied my ss wrongly so had three or four ss numbers attached to my name,had to correct and sign again.
Typos,idiots and con artists go a long way.

Last edited by lilmule; 03-28-14 at 04:53 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-14, 10:08 PM   #6
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Good stuff!
Glad you got it straightened out, Bryce!
Old 03-29-14, 02:05 AM   #7
joedog

Bryce I actually self insured due to self employed for many a year.
I do alot of claim rectifying for my clients and almost always it's due to mis-coding.
When I actually paid for everything myself....they ALWAYS BILLED ME AT A HIGHER RATE than insured,
Crazy.
You will never believe how many heated conversations the billing dept. and I had.
I was posessed.

Here's another trick they play.
Say Mule's wife paid before the insurance also payed.
The clincs say they will give a credit...not a refund but a credit towards future expenses.
Most retiries with Medicare and insurance have 100 0/0 coverage and there shouldn't be FUTURE expenses.
But Mules generation are respectfull and PAY THIER BILLS.
Clinics know this and it should be an automatic refile.
But they don't.

Non-proofit just means the clinic buys future property and they try to show a loss by over pricing and excepting less.
All a game. And a profitable one at that.
Glad you stood your ground and won.
Mule you too.

And Mule, I REALLY WANTED THAT Corvette!
One fluking number off....dang....I knew I should of proof read the app. better.

Last edited by joedog; 03-29-14 at 02:13 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-14, 06:46 AM   #8
lilmule

Uh wrong reality medicare pays 80 percent of say a hospital bill,more on some less on others somewhat depends upon the coding.
For years the industry standard for insurance was blue cross blue shield simply because they paid better,and if one had blue cross blue shield payed more for same services,thus copay was higher even though you had better insurance.
You are correct in that would most likly not returned but credit or payment for another bill.Wife has over 20 k in hospital bills copay only,meaning ours that medicare payed 80%.
In this state which is called a spousal state My wife and I are one meaning I am responsible for her debts as well as mine.My estate is her estate,and vise versa.
Obama care is a joke,5 k or more for it to kick in,its an attempt to get rid of the I cannot pay clause and they have to treat and stabilise for free. And under current laws you have to be in an emergency room for 45 min prior to any charges,thus observation.Just another way to aquire money with little or no coverage has to be catastropic.
Medicare does catch some things like overcharges etc we got one bill for 44k,by the time it went thru the hoops our copay was under 2 k,kind of like the 150 dollar air force toilet seat oh someone placed wrong number in.They are a business and most likly an entity under the law,noone goes to jail,even though they are aware.Even knowing they cant collect will sell it to a collection agency.
In defense of the 150 dollar toilet seat(former 450 until number error found),they are exposed to extreme weather conditions from minus 60 to 149 f,and composed of secret material of air force specs,wouldnt want our boys to be equipped with inferior eq now would we.
Well it wouldnt be the first time a us serviceman fell into the $hithole,if you seved no disrespect intended.
In one way or another some more than others we are all covered.
That serviceman is responsible for our freedoms,while it is not perfect here we can moan and groan and not get shot for it.

Last edited by lilmule; 03-29-14 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-29-14, 07:53 AM   #9
bassinbob

Jeez they all are rip offs. You have to be really aware of what is going on.
Old 03-29-14, 08:26 AM   #10
bassboogieman

Jeez Bryce, for $458 you could have flown to Vegas (round trip), had an hour with a hooker, had enough left over for dinner and a couple drinks - and NO SPRAINED WRIST.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-14, 12:02 PM   #11
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Jeez Bryce, for $458 you could have flown to Vegas (round trip), had an hour with a hooker, had enough left over for dinner and a couple drinks - and NO SPRAINED WRIST.
Now THAT'S funny!

One thing, though....if Bryce spent an hour with a hooker, what are they gonna talk about for 55 minutes??
Old 03-29-14, 01:39 PM   #12
joedog

Most retiries with Medicare and Medicare Supplement Insurance have 100 0/0 coverage and there shouldn't be FUTURE expenses.

Mule your talking Medicare Advantage NOT Medicare Supplements.
SUPPLEMENTS HAVE ZERO copays.

But I've only been dealing with Medicare for 30 years so you probably know more about it than I do.
I appologize for trying to help you understand because you obviously know more than I do.
Next challenge I get I'll be sure to run it by you to make sure I understand.
Thank you for setting me straight!

Oh I should add...if you have a Medicare Advantage Program....you DON'T have MEDICARE.
Insurance company gets your part B premuim taken from SS PLUS approximatly another 2000 stipulant from the Gov. PLUS any premium you pay. They take the role of Medicare AND insurer.
Most have zero premuim though.

Last edited by joedog; 03-29-14 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-29-14, 04:57 PM   #13
lilmule

Wasnt attempting to say you knew nothing havnt a clue with so many programs was retired early disability and have part B,mine is 80/20.Even though on medicare since im turning 65 just got mail saying could get ss,and basically all ready on it.
Do I understand all those plans nope,did I change even though have open enrollment at the house nope,as dont have a clue what each covers.Or how much they cover,or even what they cost some are rather vague.
Wife same disability part a b and c about 80/20 or would not have a large amount of medical bills.Worse was a year and a half on cobra at 760 a month and no prescription plan,with 926 dollar precriptions at the 4 dollar wal mart window.
So im not knowledgable about the rest of the world just know I pay thru the asp.
And here I thought medicare was medicare.
I know little about the system,just know it costs me in both time and money
My wife is an amputee one leg below the knee,been trying to get her a power chair since aug,2013 had two doctors fill out the paper work as first set timed out ,now buying her a used one as dont believe at all in the system.
Recently wife qualified for tn care shes basically 100 percent now(time limit of like 120 days hosp etc) with my holdings property etc footing the bill in the end,they dont come get your home etc while living there just after death they sell it all to pay for all that.Who cares your gone your gone have noone to leave anything to,no kids etc.
The focus I believe was and or is medical basically a ripoff,not on me that was not my intent, and you should have guessed what I think but cannot print in a general forum.

Last edited by lilmule; 03-29-14 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-01-14, 12:39 PM   #14
joedog

Mule all I can say is that when turning 65 you get 3 months before and after birthday to enroll 'open enrollment'.
Which means no-one can turn you down.
After this you will be underwritten and company can say no.

Medicare advantage has a yearly 'open enrollment', usually like Nov. 14-Dec. 31.
Again no underwriting and guaranteed acceptance.

You want to get hitched up during these periods due to a disability.

If you need guidance or seek input, feel free to PM me.
The insurance covers the 20 0/0 of part B and all deductables.
No copays and any doctor who excepts Medicare must except insuers payment. Also filed to insurer automatically and good anywhere in the US.

Advantage programs have networks.
Meaning they have 'prefered providers networks' which means you pay more outside of network.

You want to sign up on part D (drugs) because you will get penalized if you don't.

Medicare Advantage programs have copays and sometimes deductibles.

There are nation wide rules when on Medicare.

Final note.
The Doc by law can not charge Medicare recipients more than 15 percent higher than what Medicare approves.
When you don't have insurance they will sometimes charge more.
Again it's all in the coding.
I know alot of agents all over the country so let me know and I'll share names with you and guaranteed NO buying pressure.

Get the information from someone because the system is confusing and it's hard to make a good decision if you don't understand the systems and Medicare.

Bottom line, you can get insurance from 0$ to over a hundred $ a year.
Reasons why each may work for you and not work too.

DO NOT PUT THE BLINDERS ON and make a mistake that may cost you for the rest of your life.

I just highlighted the basics here but feel free to ask me any questions or even run a product by me.
I will let you know what questions to ask and the pros and cons of all.
This costs you nothing and ignoring things may cost you alot of money!

Best wishes to your wife and again, take off the blinders while you still can and eliminate costs later on.
If you decide to self insure after Medicare that's your choice but than you don't have an agent or insurer to fight your battles with knowledge of whats right and wrong.

Good luck and best wishes to you in this confusing times.

Oh, O'Bama Care has NOTHING to do with Medicare.
Two completly different programs.

And before buying used chair...talk to your wife's new insurer and TELL them to file the request for chair. You maybe surprised of results.
Medicare got tough on chairs due to 'hoover around chairs filing false un-needed claims.
Got a chair excepted for a client last week....after being denied 4 TIMES prior.

Last edited by joedog; 04-01-14 at 12:50 PM.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.