Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-12, 09:02 PM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Stupid, Stupid, STUPID Monkey!

Lord, I hate that guy! And my wife is going to learn to hate him too

Anyways, I was making my daily run through eBay, forums, craigslist, etc seeing what was out there for sale. Nothing caught me eye on eBay or the forums so I pull up search tempest (if you've never used it's allows to search multiple cities on craigslist at the same time). Type in shimano curado and the search starts.

I come across an ad that has curado and Loomis in the title. So I open it up and this guy is selling two E5's (the other one I was looking at sold before I could back in touch with him for those that remember the post) and two Loomis rods. All I wanted was the reel, sent him an offer and he comes back with, "if you take the rod and reel I'll make you a really good deal."

I tell him I really have no use for the rod, but if the deal is good enough we might be able to work something out. So he comes back and says, "If you take both I'll let them go for X amount of dollars." I clarify which rod he is talking about and then do a little research.

Long of the short is Friday I'm going to pick this up rod and reel. It was to damn good of a deal to pass up on. Usually when something is to good to be true it is. I'm waiting on the pics of the gear as he states the reel has only been fished once and the rod only a couple of times. I'm hoping it pans out. I'm always leery of CL's granted I haven't been burnt yet (knocking on wood) and nothing is final until I hand him the cash. I can always walk away if I need to.

Even though my vacation is paid I think I need to quit taking time off work, I believe it costs me more in the long run...LOL
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-12, 09:14 PM   #2
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hope it all works out for you on Friday!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-12, 09:29 PM   #3
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post
Lord, I hate that guy! And my wife is going to learn to hate him too

Anyways, I was making my daily run through eBay, forums, craigslist, etc seeing what was out there for sale. Nothing caught me eye on eBay or the forums so I pull up search tempest (if you've never used it's allows to search multiple cities on craigslist at the same time). Type in shimano curado and the search starts.

I come across an ad that has curado and Loomis in the title. So I open it up and this guy is selling two E5's (the other one I was looking at sold before I could back in touch with him for those that remember the post) and two Loomis rods. All I wanted was the reel, sent him an offer and he comes back with, "if you take the rod and reel I'll make you a really good deal."

I tell him I really have no use for the rod, but if the deal is good enough we might be able to work something out. So he comes back and says, "If you take both I'll let them go for X amount of dollars." I clarify which rod he is talking about and then do a little research.

Long of the short is Friday I'm going to pick this up rod and reel. It was to damn good of a deal to pass up on. Usually when something is to good to be true it is. I'm waiting on the pics of the gear as he states the reel has only been fished once and the rod only a couple of times. I'm hoping it pans out. I'm always leery of CL's granted I haven't been burnt yet (knocking on wood) and nothing is final until I hand him the cash. I can always walk away if I need to.

Even though my vacation is paid I think I need to quit taking time off work, I believe it costs me more in the long run...LOL
Huh? You musta spent some time at the NCO Club before making a statement like that.
Old 08-22-12, 09:42 PM   #4
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Huh? You musta spent some time at the NCO Club before making a statement like that.
LOL....you caught me! I could definitely find a use for the rod, but I've been eying some deep cranking rods. Thus the reason for trying to find an E5 reel, this rod is a Loomis CBR845 supposedly for medium diving cranks which I don't have yet
Old 08-22-12, 10:02 PM   #5
kennethdaysale

Before you pull the trigger on a deep cranking rod take a look at these.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocucx711mh.html
TW is running them on sale. I bought this same rod earlier in the year (except I prefered the slightly softer tip and shorter handle of the cuc711mh) I fish deep cranks with this rod paired with the Curado E5 you're getting and I just can't imagine a better tool for the job. Of course there are lot's of exceptional deep cranking sticks out there, but for 149............
Old 08-22-12, 11:13 PM   #6
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Before you pull the trigger on a deep cranking rod take a look at these.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocucx711mh.html
TW is running them on sale. I bought this same rod earlier in the year (except I prefered the slightly softer tip and shorter handle of the cuc711mh) I fish deep cranks with this rod paired with the Curado E5 you're getting and I just can't imagine a better tool for the job. Of course there are lot's of exceptional deep cranking sticks out there, but for 149............
Hhhmmm, haven't looked at that one yet...Thank you! I've been reading/researching the Duckett Micro Magic:
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Ducke...page-DMCR.html

Last one one the page, it is also 7' 11"

Seems to be an exceptional rod for deep cranking too. I found a vendor on eBay selling that rod for 119 with free shipping and good feedback. After my excursion coming up on Friday it'll be a few weeks before I the rod I want so I have plenty of time to do some research and make an informed decision. Granted I might be able to get the Shimano rod for close to that price with my military discount through them except I'll have to pay taxes.

Any experience with Duckett rods Ken?
Old 08-23-12, 05:21 AM   #7
kennethdaysale

No but one of the guys I fish with has a Duckett worm rod that he likes.
Let us know what you end up with.
Old 08-23-12, 10:08 AM   #8
USMCbassman

I definitely will...
Old 08-23-12, 10:54 AM   #9
USMCbassman

I also want to get into rod building (for personal use) so what better way than to get the stick you want by building it yourself.
Old 08-24-12, 01:17 PM   #10
USMCbassman

Well it didn't pan out like it was suppose to. Everything that was advertised was true with the exception of the reel being an E7 vice an E5. He wasn't interested in selling the E7 and rod, just the rod at this point which initially I only wanted the reel. So I've decided to put the bait/rod/reel monkey in his cage and focus on gathering the tools and equipment to start wrapping rods.

Crap! Oh well, it is what it is...
Old 08-24-12, 01:44 PM   #11
WatterBoy

Uh oh. Monkey didn't get fed + you called him STUPID = B-I-G trouble for you!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-12, 02:53 PM   #12
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
Uh oh. Monkey didn't get fed + you called him STUPID = B-I-G trouble for you!
LOL, that's what I get for calling him stupid! Guess I need to go pet my, uh, never mind !

On a more serious note I believe everything happens for a reason...
Old 08-24-12, 04:42 PM   #13
joedog

Quote:
LOL, that's what I get for calling him stupid! Guess I need to go pet my, uh, never mind !

On a more serious note I believe everything happens for a reason...
Your to late....your monkey was talking with my monkey and he said at the 'monkey' convention after ICAST this subject is definitly coming up for discussion.
Oh the convention date is Sept. 22,2012
Coincidence thats the same day as 'National Hunting and Fishing Day'...I think not!
Old 08-24-12, 09:42 PM   #14
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

na-na-naaa-na-naaaaa....oyur monkey is gonna get oyu. lol!!!!
Old 08-24-12, 10:20 PM   #15
USMCbassman

This is twice now...I give up on craigslist!!!!
Old 08-25-12, 05:44 PM   #16
woody

If it hasn't already... wait till the BoatMonkey arrives!

He makes the BaitMonkey look like " a pocket full of change. "

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-12, 05:54 PM   #17
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
If it hasn't already... wait till the BoatMonkey arrives!

He makes the BaitMonkey look like " a pocket full of change. "

-Mark
I've been looking...the wife says no boat right now, but I think I have her sold on a kayak. She confuses me sometimes; she doesn't care if I buy another Harley or a new truck (I currently own a Harley and a truck), but doesn't want me to get a boat. I don't need a big 'ol Skeeter, Ranger, Bass Cat, etc right now. One of those nice little trackers would suffice...I think she's afraid she'd lose me to the water all the time if I had a boat, LOL and she probably would!

You're absolutely right though, that Boat Monkey does make the Bait Monkey look like a pocket full of change. I'd rather wait until I buy a house to get a boat though, I don't want to have to pay to store it on top of all the other upkeep.
Old 08-25-12, 06:11 PM   #18
woody

Quote:
I've been looking...the wife says no boat right now, but I think I have her sold on a kayak. She confuses me sometimes; she doesn't care if I buy another Harley or a new truck (I currently own a Harley and a truck), but doesn't want me to get a boat. I don't need a big 'ol Skeeter, Ranger, Bass Cat, etc right now. One of those nice little trackers would suffice...I think she's afraid she'd lose me to the water all the time if I had a boat, LOL and she probably would!

You're absolutely right though, that Boat Monkey does make the Bait Monkey look like a pocket full of change.-Mark I'd rather wait until I buy a house to get a boat though, I don't want to have to pay to store it on top of all the other upkeep.

Yes..timing is everything!

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.