Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-09, 11:20 AM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Smile St. Croix...Nice Monkey!

St. Croix is replacing my broken Triumph. Kudos to their great service. They also gave me the option to upgrade...and I think I may forgo the Triumph spinning rod in favor of one of their Mojo Bass Flippin Sticks (baitcaster, obviously) for a $30-$40 upcharge, depending on whether I get the 7'6" or 7'11" version. Neither one will fit in my rod lockers, but one of them would sure come in handy for fishing tight cover.
Old 08-17-09, 12:21 PM   #2
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That $30-40 upcharge sure smells like Monkey to me!!!
Old 08-17-09, 12:28 PM   #3
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
That $30-40 upcharge sure smells like Monkey to me!!!
Yeah...the monkey is sneaky like that!!

Truth be told, the Triumph is only (only? hah) a $70 rod. The Mojo Bass rod is $110-$120, depending on size. So it's at least a full refund of my initial expense on the Triumph.
Old 08-17-09, 12:41 PM   #4
3dkicker

They going to charge you shipping? I'd ask them to contact a local retailer and make arrangements for you to pick the rod up at the store instead of mailing it. Shipping costs for rods isn't cheap.
Old 08-17-09, 02:25 PM   #5
nofearengineer

Yeah, it cost me $10 to ship it there, and the $10 to ship it back will be eaten up by the $20 check I already sent them for "repairs," which they of course credit towards the whole deal. Kinda sucks, but big picture is, I get $50 credit for my broken $70 rod towards a new rod. I can live with that. Either way, I already found my new St. Croix hook-up. Gander Mountain has some good replacement plans of their own to supplement St. Croix's warranties.

Yes, of course I will see if I can squeeze that extra $10 of savings out of them by picking up one from Gander. Thanks for that idea, 3d.
Old 08-17-09, 04:23 PM   #6
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Nicely done by St Croix! Definitely worth keeping in mind when I'm shopping for another rod.
I've been eyein' up the Triumph series all year. How'd you like it, nofear?
Old 08-17-09, 04:39 PM   #7
WaffleJaw

man im seriously looking into a 6'6-7' mojo rod from my plastics...I think i read a thread in the past where you had one already....if thats true,how do you like it?
Old 08-17-09, 04:50 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Nicely done by St Croix! Definitely worth keeping in mind when I'm shopping for another rod.
I've been eyein' up the Triumph series all year. How'd you like it, nofear?
I love my Triumph TRS66MF (the one that didn't break...) I bought the first one, and loved it so much I immediately had to have another one. Very light and sensitive, but without a lot of bling. Those rods were my doom. Before them, I had no desire whatsoever to spend a lot of money on "high-end" (higher than what I was used to) rods. Now, the monkey owns my soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
man im seriously looking into a 6'6-7' mojo rod from my plastics...I think i read a thread in the past where you had one already....if thats true,how do you like it?
They came out with Mojo Bass rods a couple of weeks after I bought my second Triumph. Even though I love my Triumphs, I'd trade them for the Mojo Bass rods in a heartbeat, all other things being equal. The Mojo Bass rod I have is a 6' 9" spinning model, has the split grip I like and is even more sensitive than the Triumph. Slightly higher craftsmanship as well, though the Triumphs certainly aren't lacking in that department.

I really want to get that flippin stick, but then I won't have a true spinnerbait rod. I'm pretty sure I could use the 7' 6" model for flipping, pitching, as well as jigging, and fairly sure it will hold up to Southern Indiana "only semi sloppy" frogging. I might even throw spinnerbaits with it. I'm not sure if the 7' 11" would just be too much for all-day casting. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-17-09, 06:46 PM   #9
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I love my Triumph TRS66MF (the one that didn't break...) I bought the first one, and loved it so much I immediately had to have another one. Very light and sensitive, but without a lot of bling. Those rods were my doom. Before them, I had no desire whatsoever to spend a lot of money on "high-end" (higher than what I was used to) rods. Now, the monkey owns my soul.

They came out with Mojo Bass rods a couple of weeks after I bought my second Triumph. Even though I love my Triumphs, I'd trade them for the Mojo Bass rods in a heartbeat, all other things being equal. The Mojo Bass rod I have is a 6' 9" spinning model, has the split grip I like and is even more sensitive than the Triumph. Slightly higher craftsmanship as well, though the Triumphs certainly aren't lacking in that department.

I really want to get that flippin stick, but then I won't have a true spinnerbait rod. I'm pretty sure I could use the 7' 6" model for flipping, pitching, as well as jigging, and fairly sure it will hold up to Southern Indiana "only semi sloppy" frogging. I might even throw spinnerbaits with it. I'm not sure if the 7' 11" would just be too much for all-day casting. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the info, nofear! Much appreciated
Old 08-18-09, 01:24 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Sweetness. Well, St. Croix wouldn't do the "ship to Gander Mountain thing" to save me $10, but I'm still pretty happy.

They shipped me a 7'6" Pitchin' rod...MH with a mod-fast tip and weight of 5.1 oz. It should be strong enough for flippig/pitching any of the cover I fish, but be flexible enough for chucking spinnerbaits and jigging too. I use braid for all of these if you want to know why I use the same rod...keeps the braid on only one reel. Hopefully, I will get to use it this weekend, and I'll give you a short review.
Old 08-18-09, 05:20 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've got the 7' M tube/grub mojo spinning rod. It's paired with a Pfluger supreme (7.4oz), so it's a light combo, but so far, I love the rod and would definately buy another, even though they are made by st croix... I think they outdid themselves on this set of rods, especially the price.

BB
Old 08-18-09, 05:23 PM   #12
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I've got the 7' M tube/grub mojo spinning rod. It's paired with a Pfluger supreme (7.4oz), so it's a light combo, but so far, I love the rod and would definately buy another, even though they are made by st croix... I think they outdid themselves on this set of rods, especially the price.

BB
Isn't the Pflueger Supreme a, well....supreme reel? I love mine.
Sadly, it's on set-up #3 so I don't use it as much as the 1st 2
Old 08-18-09, 05:28 PM   #13
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

BB
Yeah, I've got that same spinning rod, BB144. It is like you say...a great rod. I've got my Soron STX40 on it, and the combination just flat kicks butt.

If you get any of the Mojo rods, Mallen, I doubt you'd be disappointed...especially for the price.
Old 08-18-09, 05:39 PM   #14
MallenManson

Quote:
Yeah, I've got that same spinning rod, BB144. It is like you say...a great rod. I've got my Soron STX40 on it, and the combination just flat kicks butt.

If you get any of the Mojo rods, Mallen, I doubt you'd be disappointed...especially for the price.
I doubt I'll be getting one of the Mojos, even though I flat out love the word...mo...jo....just not into the split rods, at least at this time.
But man! Mojo Bass Rod just seems to roll off the tongue doesn't it?

Awwww man! you guys are forcing me to do it again!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Acigj8isc
Old 08-18-09, 05:51 PM   #15
nofearengineer

Actually, I prefer Mojo Jojo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEMqVSb6TMg
Old 08-18-09, 05:54 PM   #16
MallenManson

Quote:
Actually, I prefer Mojo Jojo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEMqVSb6TMg
lol I'll stick with Dr Evil. I seriously think I'm losing my mind. Every time I hear (or read!) the word Mojo, I picture Dr Evil using the quotation motions. Then I begin to snicker.....
Old 08-22-09, 08:11 PM   #17
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

I have two St Croix Mojo's..the 7 ft MH fast tip casting and the 7 ft 6 MH casting. I use the 7 ft for tubes and the 7 ft 6 for jigs. I really cant compare since the last new rods I bought before a month and half ago was about 10 years ago...but I love them so far. Very sensitive and light.

I hope St. Croix does not end production before I can sneak enough money back to buy the whole series some day
RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-09, 09:43 PM   #18
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB View Post
I have two St Croix Mojo's..the 7 ft MH fast tip casting and the 7 ft 6 MH casting. I use the 7 ft for tubes and the 7 ft 6 for jigs. I really cant compare since the last new rods I bought before a month and half ago was about 10 years ago...but I love them so far. Very sensitive and light.

I hope St. Croix does not end production before I can sneak enough money back to buy the whole series some day
The monkey is now stirring.....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.