Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-11, 12:14 PM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Fishing Irene

Called the Major on Friday to see if he was going to move his boat from the storage lot on Quantico. Last time the river flooded he ended up with 2' of water around his boat and grass covering his trailer. He was lucky it didn't get swept away. He said yes he was and asked if I'd be interested in getting out Sat. morning on Quake Lake to do a little fishing before Irene arrived. I said sure.....why not??? Crazy Marine!!!
Storm arrives late Friday evening with light showers and I get a text later...."Let's hold off on fishing in the morning." So I watch the news and head to bed thinking that it'll be raining and the winds will be swirling in the morning. To my surprise my phone rings at O 600....guess who?? Yep the Major wants to go fishing and he's on his way to pick me up. Seems the rain and winds were still a little ways off and we could get a couple hours in.
Got to the lake, dropped in, and headed up lake. Perfect day for topwater....nothing. Crankbaits......nothing. Buzzbaits......nope. Fished grass, docks, drops, laydowns.....nada. Finally started to flip a sweet beaver on a rocky point and I get a hit. I reel down and set the hook....nothing. Bait comes back with flap missing.....the Major laughs at me. But it's a bite but probably a bluegill. Fished for a while and same thing happens. Feel the tap, reel down and set the hook......flap gone and more laughter from the front of the boat.
Rain and winds finally arrive so we run to the back of one of the feeder creek. We hit a shallow flat with a dock that typically has only a foot or so of water on it. It now has 3 feet or so and the Major skips a senko back under the boat slip, reels down, and sets on a good fish!!! Finally we put a fish in the boat.
We finish the day with only one more bite. The Major half set on what he thought was a bluegill and yanked what looked like an eel out of the water . It was small but never got the hook into it. Had never seen one on this body of water. It was only 8" or so.

So here are the pics......

Must be Bama sized fish messin' wit my bait.....

Finally a nice bass
Old 08-29-11, 07:51 PM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Me and a buddy fished in 30-40 mph winds when Gustov was rolling into Galveston a few years ago. We got in the intersection of a creek channel in 15-18 FOW and wore them out. It was most definitely my best day in public water. We tied to a tree and one snapped off next to us when the wind got consistent. So we called it a day. Nice piggy too.
Old 08-29-11, 08:03 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

crazy,crazy marine. the fish know when there's a storm a-comin!!! they shut down then pal.

oh the "bama-sized" bites..........funny for real. nice chunk for the marine. congrats to him.
Old 08-29-11, 09:10 PM   #4
Bassboss

WOW! That a seriously hefty bass ya got there, congrats!
Old 08-29-11, 10:22 PM   #5
keithdog

That was a gutsy call to head out to the lake knowing what was comming, but a fishermans gotta do what a fisherman does, lol. Nice pic in that last photo!
Old 08-30-11, 10:57 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

That's a nice fish. I probably wouldn't have gone out myself, lol.
Old 08-30-11, 11:34 AM   #7
riverfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

No fishing the river up here in New York for a while. Locks and dam's are all jacked up!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	river1.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	7151  
riverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-11, 12:01 PM   #8
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
crazy,crazy marine. the fish know when there's a storm a-comin!!! they shut down then pal.

oh the "bama-sized" bites..........funny for real. nice chunk for the marine. congrats to him.
Fish were sitting in 14-17' of water all over the lake. Didn't have any deep diving cranks with me to go that deep. No C-rig with me either so went with the craw or a worm but couldn't find any keepers. Typically I can find some shallow bass in the summer but had a tough time too...haven't been on the lake in months

At least shallow water paid off for one of us. Looked bigger in the water as it shook that big ol' head and mouth coming out from the dock.
Old 08-31-11, 12:49 PM   #9
Marc David
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Awesome fish Smitty!
Marc David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-11, 06:11 PM   #10
bamabassman

know the feeling smitty. spent ALL day on guntersville last saturday and not even a NIBBLE!!! maybe when the cool fornt comes in in about another couple of weeks they will start biting agian.
Old 09-02-11, 12:25 PM   #11
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
know the feeling smitty. spent ALL day on guntersville last saturday and not even a NIBBLE!!!
So what's new about that.......???

I bet you got the shakes right now real good. How long has it been since the last Bama game??? 8 months is a long time to go without a fix!!!

When's kickoff??? (so I know when to bother you!!! )
Old 09-02-11, 05:23 PM   #12
bamabassman

hahahaha....kickoff is at 11:20 am. central time and fine, call me as much as oyu want to smitty. my phone has an OFF button. hahaha!! gonna use it this year. no more texting during games. besides...i tend ot go OVER my allotted texts and lisa gets real mad then. lol!!
Old 09-02-11, 10:09 PM   #13
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc David View Post
Awesome fish Smitty!
Thanks. I wish it was mine but the Major got to it first. And I didn't bring a spinning rod so I couldn't get a bait as far back under the dock as he could.

Let me know how much it would cost to get you to do a RC for me in that goldfish pattern you did? I'll send you a bait or two.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.