Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-12, 08:10 PM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Got my Monkey fixed

I mean got a fix for my monkey...alright, forget it you know what I mean! Since it's still hotter than all get out here in SoCal I had a little more time to beef up some capabilities I didn't have for fall. I received a free R2S crank bait when I subscribed to BAM and was thoroughly impressed with so I thought I get a few shallow divers

Still need to beef up the top water action too...soon, very soon it will be fixed. Just have to decide on what "spook" type baits I want.

I think the lens on my camera needs to be cleaned too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0493.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	8241  
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 09:07 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sweet! I bought a half dozen of those R2S Ish baits awhile back too. They seem really nice and I got mine on sale for right around $6. I haven't tried them out yet though.

Whenever you buy walkers, do yourself a favor and throw a Lucky Craft Gunfish in your basket, either size. They are awesome! Sammy's are nice too and can usually be found on Ebay for less than retail.
Old 10-04-12, 10:29 PM   #3
USMCbassman

Joe I like you, but my monkey doesn't...LOL! I was looking at the Gunfish and Sammy's on eBay and you just didn't help my monkey a bit!!!!

I was looking at some XCalibur XR50's (lipless cranks) and (shhh, don't let the monkey hear), but Simmons Sporting Goods on eBay has the XCalibur Jimmy on sale for 60% off! I was thinking about picking some up just because of the price. I've never fished one, but I figured for the price compared to retail what could it really hurt!?!?
Old 10-05-12, 12:13 AM   #4
Jrob78

Sorry about that, my monkey is an enabler

XR 50's are probably my favorite lipless cranks, they are tied with Redeye shads at the very least. While not a walking bait, the XCalibur Zell Pop is an awesome popping bait too, actually, I like most all of XCalibur's baits. I use their XR50's, XCS crankbaits, Zell Pops and EEratic Shad jerkbaits. They are well made with great finishes and good hooks. I have a few Jimmy's too, they are good baits, especially at 60% off! I think they have been discontinued, probably why they're on sale.
Old 10-05-12, 12:30 AM   #5
USMCbassman

It is what it is...no worries here

That's good to know about the 50's and other Xcalibur baits. There are a lot of baits out there I've never used so I'm leery of buying them. I appreciate the info on all the above baits. The wife will have to consider them my late birthday present since I still don't have my rod building supplies. I see a trip to acid rod coming up soon speaking of which!
Old 10-05-12, 02:24 AM   #6
Tavery5

X2 on the Gunfish, I much prefer it to the Sammy, I usually use the 95 size, a little smaller and seems to draw more bites, but both sizes have excellent action.
Old 10-05-12, 10:10 AM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

"got my monkey fixed." BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! YEAH......RRRRRIIIIIIIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTTTTTT.........
Old 10-05-12, 01:08 PM   #8
USMCbassman

You're right Bama! There is no getting a bait monkey fixed! I'm need of more tackle storage and I haven't even remotely began replenishing my tackle stores. For example topwater action baits I have 1 or 2. Spinnerbaits same thing, no buzzbaits, no football, casting or swimming jigs. No swimbaits or shaky heads. Very little terminal tackle (weights) and 1 or 2 lipless cranks. I've come to realize with the price of tackle these days it is a slow process or now that I have more responsibilities in life the money is stretched a little thinner.

When I was in high school with very few responsibilities and a well paying job the bait monkey got what he wanted when he wanted. I'm far from done....
Old 10-05-12, 01:59 PM   #9
lilmule

Ditto on the gunfish a great bait for Ky lake.
As for it being hot in cali yeah,but ND and Minn just got 14 in of white stuff.
So feed that monkey and climb back inside,in your case for the ac.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-12, 02:22 PM   #10
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
X2 on the Gunfish, I much prefer it to the Sammy, I usually use the 95 size, a little smaller and seems to draw more bites, but both sizes have excellent action.
Agreed, I use the 95 more than the 115. I noticed you had a Gunfish and a Pointer in your NRX picture, I almost commented but didn't.
Old 10-05-12, 03:37 PM   #11
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post
Still need to beef up the top water action too...soon, very soon it will be fixed. Just have to decide on what "spook" type baits I want.
Got a contact that sells custom painted Spook type baits....Check out "Boing Lures" but don't pay the $29.99 on BTD (which aren't custom). Let me know if you're interested.
Old 10-05-12, 03:42 PM   #12
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Got a contact that sells custom painted Spook type baits....Check out "Boing Lures" but don't pay the $29.99 on BTD (which aren't custom). Let me know if you're interested.
I just noticed those on TW today. The paint jobs are awesome!
Old 10-07-12, 02:54 AM   #13
tomegun
BassFishin.Com Member

You gotta have a Gunfish in this area. I prefer Skitter Walks and Sammy's- Guns just have a better dance. Love to throw around breakers.
tomegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-12, 07:45 AM   #14
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thats a good looking set of cranks for sure! I concure with the Xcaliber baits. I use them quite a bit. I love their poppers in the 3 inch version. Cast a mile. I'm going to have to pick up a Gunfish and try that out. I always hear a lot of possitive comments about them. Myself, my favorite spook style bait so far is the Heddon 4-1/2 inch Rattlin Spook and Super Spook Jr for the smaller profile. I've caught a ton of fish on those including that big pike I caught on Labor Day. Foxy Momma has been a good color for me.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.