Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-07, 05:16 PM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Offseason - Stuff to do

What is some stuff to do in the off season or if you have a lot of time on your hands? Stuff having to do with fishing. What do I need to make a carolina rig holder. It's like a block and you just wrap the leader and all the other carolina rig materials around it? I forget.

Thanks
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 07:08 PM   #2
Fendercaster
BassFishin.Com Member

Go outside in the snow and practise flippin' into a bucket, moving farther away as you get more accurate. By the time spring comes, you should be able to put it in the bucket from quite a distance!
Fendercaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 07:48 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Talking

There is lots to do. Clean and lubricate your reels. Make sure all the screws are tight and everything is working properly. Check your rods for damaged eyes and such. Gut your tackle boxes and clean and organize. Inspect your lures for damaged hooks needing replaced, skirts needing replaced. Stuff like that. Take note of what you will need for the comming year and make yourself a list. If you have a boat, that opens up a whole new list of things to do. Practice casting like Fender said. Search out new fishing sites. Read up on topo maps of lakes you fish, making notes of spots to key on in the spring. Hang out here and see what the boys down south are doing while us boys up here dream about open water. Hang out a BPS!!!Fix some popcorn and watch Bill Dance on tv fall into a lake again.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 09:09 PM   #4
Rebbasser

There ain't no offseason in Texas.
Old 07-10-07, 09:32 PM   #5
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

...whats this, an offseason? I've never heard of such.

Haha thank God for southern weather =]
Old 07-10-07, 09:45 PM   #6
BLWeng
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to BLWeng

During this offseason, look for a Job, House, another wife if necessary in the southern part of the country so you don't have an offseason next year.
Old 07-10-07, 10:53 PM   #7
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLWeng View Post
During this offseason, look for a Job, House, another wife if necessary in the southern part of the country so you don't have an offseason next year.

That, my friends, is an excellent answer!
Old 07-10-07, 11:44 PM   #8
jooleyen

No, I was just kind of bored while my dad was sleeping.
Old 07-10-07, 11:58 PM   #9
bassfisher02

Little off topic here, but do you really count the number of bass you catch Jooleyen? I rarely can keep track of the number i catch in one day haha.

Another good idea for you, go out and buy a fishing game for Xbox or playstation or whatever you have and play that all the time. Wake up at 5:45AM and take a drive around your neighborhood, come back home and turn on the game, you know really set the mood right, maybe even lay some blue tarp on the floor around your bed... Man i'd really hate not being able to fish whenever i want, it actually gets pretty cold down here in Tallahassee, i recall one morning before sunrise out on the lake getting ready for some duck hunting the temperature was a balmy 17 degrees. But the only change i have to make when fishing in the winter down here is that i can sleep in, it'll warm up to the mid 50's by the afternoon.
Old 07-11-07, 12:22 AM   #10
jooleyen

Yep. I log my fish. It's another thing to do when you're bored. lol
I really don't play video games.
Old 07-11-07, 06:43 AM   #11
FlyRod

As Rab...errr...Rub...uhhhh...REB says, there is no off-season here, although the heat and humidity DO force one to alter tactics and scheduling re time-of-day. Still, there are slack periods.
During slow times I expend (too) much time and energy in inventorying tackle, making notes on what to acquire or reload, and determining which rods, reels, lines, lures, odds 'n ends I can give to newbies or folks less fortunate (or those with more restraint and common sense re spending.) Now, this doesn't make me a Boy Scout (though I was one, a Scoutmaster too.) It doesn't buy me a place in Heaven either. What it DOES do is relieve me of some clutter and assure that some good stuff is used rather than gather dust. Everyone's a winner!
Keep all this in mind, Jools, for there will come a day when YOU suddenly realize that you have reached saturation, gear-wise. That's when, instead of taking false pride in how much tackle you own, you should experience the warmth of knowing someone else is now able to participate in "our" sport, thanks to your generosity.
Reb and I recently contributed some good gear to a new friend whose fishing budget was badly depleted by an unlucky choice in the purchase of a pre-owned boat. I think I speak for both of us when I say we are the better for it.
Y'see, Jools, we can give advice all day, each day, but to actually put the tools in another's hands is a gift both to that person and ourselves.
(And I don't mean giving someone your Flying Lures and Banjo Minnows, your crummiest reel, or a lousy rod.)

Kindly Uncle Fly
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 07:29 AM   #12
brushhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
Yep. I log my fish. It's another thing to do when you're bored. lol
I really don't play video games.
Jooleyen,

If you really don't play video games, maybe there is hope for America...
You and may son may be the only two kids left in the country....

Thanks for renewing my hope in youth!
Old 07-11-07, 09:30 AM   #13
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
What do I need to make a carolina rig holder. It's like a block and you just wrap the leader and all the other carolina rig materials around it? I forget.
Thanks

I use 2" wide 4" long styrofoam (spelling is probably all wrong) block. I put 2 leaders for 2', 3', and 4' long on each block. I have 3 blocks that I use. One with a 1/0, one with 2/0, and one with 3/0 hooks. The hook will hold in the foam and I put the swivel on the other end and hold it in place with a staple that I pulled off a row of staples and push it into the foam. So far, it works well.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 11:49 AM   #14
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

Depends On How Much Money You Want To Spend You Could Create Your Own Lures Very Expensive To Get Started. I Replace As Many Hooks And Split Rings As Possible. I Do 100s Of Lure Modifactions. Reorganize. And Most Importantly Create New Excueses For The Wife To Let Me Go Fishing.
Old 07-11-07, 12:06 PM   #15
bassfisher02

Brushhog, believe it or not, a lot of people dont play video games much anymore. The only time i turn on my xbox is when i wanna play guitar hero 2, and i cant find too much time for that these days.

Jooly, well you may not play video games, but if you have nothing to do and want to be fishing, the closest thing to it is playing a fishing game.
Old 07-11-07, 12:10 PM   #16
Bender

I am making a list as the summer progresses. So far I have to add a pump out to the livewell, install a Sirius receiver and radio with speakers hidden under the consoles, install a ship to shore radio, and so on. On top of organizing and maintaining tackle.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 05:33 PM   #17
zooker

jool
belive it or not i use a lindy rig storage container-like i ever have more than 3 rigged up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post

If you really don't play video games, maybe there is hope for America...
now bush hog i am truely offend by that statement
stats show that 75% of all video users are 25+years old and i sir AM ONE OF THEM...

zooker
Old 07-11-07, 11:29 PM   #18
jooleyen

Wow. Thanks for all the answers. I used to be a video game master. Now that I've found fishing and I'm fortunate to be able to go quite a bit, I don't play video games much. Thanks for the tip everret.
Old 07-12-07, 03:23 AM   #19
flamez

No off season in these parts only "on seasons" =)
Old 07-12-07, 08:24 PM   #20
lizardsrule

Make some rods sleeves, a rod rack, make some new lures, or just modify some old ones. BUY LOTS OF NEW TACKLE, and take trips down to where you can fish rotflmao. One thing I would check into. Sounds like you have the bug now, and when I was living up where the water got hard, I would always take a couple of trips to Powerplant lakes. These are lakes that don't freeze, due to the turbines being cooled by the water keeps the water temps above freezing. It's also a good place to possibly catch a big bass, since they will feed more every year. Check to see where the closest one to you is.

Lizards
Old 07-13-07, 05:02 PM   #21
jooleyen

I think there is one not TOO far away from here. I'll have to find out. Isn't fishing in powerplant lakes bad though? Bad water?
Old 07-13-07, 05:39 PM   #22
bassfisher02

Bad water? Haha if you mean pollution, i dont think its as much of a problem these days as it used to be. There are strict laws on how to dispose of waste, plus a powerplant doesnt produce the same amount of waste as other factories [i think] anyways you arent eatting the fish and whether there is 'bad water' or not, fish still live in it.
Old 07-13-07, 06:37 PM   #23
jooleyen

I would only be fishing it for a little while though, because the window of time where it is too cold to fish, (ice) and fishing is still legal, is small.
Old 07-13-07, 07:47 PM   #24
bassfisher02

Quote:
I would only be fishing it for a little while though, because the window of time where it is too cold to fish, (ice) and fishing is still legal, is small.
I dont understand the statement. If we are still talking about the powerplant lake then you dont have to worry about ice, the water is warmer, above the freezing point.
Old 07-13-07, 08:42 PM   #25
thebus71h
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher02 View Post
I dont understand the statement. If we are still talking about the powerplant lake then you dont have to worry about ice, the water is warmer, above the freezing point.
He is talking about the actual season. I guess up there where he lives they have "bass season". Correct me if I'm wrong.
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.