Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-07-10, 01:04 PM   #1
BoyoBoyle
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Shimano Clarus

Anyone know anything about these rods? I've read that they're a great rod for the money.

What size would you prefer/recommend? I tend to use a lot of soft plastics and spinner baits. Im kinda leaning towards a 6'6" M 2 piece

Last edited by BoyoBoyle; 06-07-10 at 01:09 PM.
BoyoBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 01:20 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd go with a 6'10" MH fast action. One piece you can. Only reason I would ever get a 2 piece would be if I couldn't had storage issues. Other wise one piece all the way!! It's more sensitive, and has a better taper.

MH will help you get fish where you want them, and will give you better hook sets. 6'10" will also give you longer casts, but still keep the accuracy of a 6'6", you'll also be moving more line on a the hook set, also giving better hook sets.

But IMO, for the same price about like, get a Abu Garcia Vendetta!!
Old 06-08-10, 12:34 AM   #3
BoyoBoyle
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks a lot! finally some useful info. I would check out the Abu Garcia, but i dont think Cabelas sells it. See, I broke the tip on my tourney trail rod, and they refunded me for it, but tourney trails are on back order for a couple months, but I got 71 dollars refunded to me to spend on a new rod.

My tourney trail was a 7' M.... and i loved it! 2 piece, but i need it like that to fit in my car. The only reason im thinking about a 6'6" is because I've busted my tip a few times because the rods kinda long and bumps into objects while setting the hook (typically shore fishing near wooded areas).
BoyoBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 04:37 AM   #4
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Are you going with a casting or spinning rod? For your intended applications, I second boss' recommendation on going with MH power.

I have the 2-piece 6'6" casting clarus. It is basically a general purpose rod that will do a lot of things alright. It ought to be okay for some plastics like senkos and such, even do okay with treble hook baits, but it won't be too good for heavier jigs (from my experience) to drive the hook home. Other than that, it is as all around as you can get minus heavier jigs.

For claurs rods, I don't think that there 2-piece model that has a MH power. However, I do know that there is a 2-piece MH spinning rod in the clarus line up. I have it and love this rod. The clarus and compre rods are my "trunk" rods and together, they pretty much can cover many fishing applications and techniques.
Old 06-08-10, 02:15 PM   #5
Raul

I have two Clarus rods, one MH Fast 6´6" spinning and a H Extra Fast 6´6" trigger, great rods for the money. Now on the subject of power, I find them to be underrated so the M one you´re thinking about is most likely what you want, my MH is a lot more broomsticky than my power 3 ( MH ) GLoomises so might find it too powerful like I do.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 02:26 PM   #6
cassidyta

I have both a 7' Clarus spinning and the Vendetta 7' casting rods. I would choose the clarus aragin over the vendetta myself. This is not meant ot be a slight on the Abu, but I find the clarus to be more sensitive. I also prefer the shimano over the counter waranty over the Abu.
Old 06-08-10, 07:23 PM   #7
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I'd go with a 6'10" MH fast action. One piece you can. Only reason I would ever get a 2 piece would be if I couldn't had storage issues. Other wise one piece all the way!! It's more sensitive, and has a better taper.

MH will help you get fish where you want them, and will give you better hook sets. 6'10" will also give you longer casts, but still keep the accuracy of a 6'6", you'll also be moving more line on a the hook set, also giving better hook sets.

But IMO, for the same price about like, get a Abu Garcia Vendetta!!

No no no , the Shimano has a much better warranty. Lifetime I believe. I think they are great rods ,they just do not get noticed as much as they should.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 11:30 PM   #8
Arkie Bass Buster
BassFishin.Com Member

I have three Clarus rods and you couldn't buy them off me!! I'm going to go with bass boss on that particular rod choice. I own that rod and it is an excellent spinner bait rod. Also would keep it a one piece as he said if at all possible. I also have a 6'6" Clarus medium extra fast action that works pretty well for a variety of baits. A lot depends on what baits, size baits you are using, etc. or at least it does to me.
Arkie Bass Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 06:06 AM   #9
Justin2729
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hey man, Gotta buddy thats all he uses he swears by em and we've fished together for years. So there pretty good apparently he hangs with my cumeras as far as the bites he's feeling and setting the hook.
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 07:51 AM   #10
walkeraviator

this may answer my question in another thread... would their 7'6" Heavy/Fast make a good flippin stick?
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 02:51 PM   #11
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
this may answer my question in another thread... would their 7'6" Heavy/Fast make a good flippin stick?
Yes, it´s got the length, the power and a long handle.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.