Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-06-13, 10:50 PM   #1
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Manabu Kurita record tying bass

Guys, I recently saw a purported picture of George Washington Perry's bass, and it prompted me to look at a picture of the bass from japan a couple years ago that supposedly tied the record.

There was one thing that seemed strange, every article I have found on the japaneese fish claims that it was 27 inches long, and 26 inches in girth.

That is a huge bass, but...you look at records of other huge bass, and there are plenty of 20 pounders that are inches larger. The BPS formula states that a fish with those measurements would be around 17 pounds.

I know this is all a couple years old and all, but what gives? Did someone misconvert the measurements, did IFGA rubber stamp something cause of a picture...? I'm not a skeptic, I just think something was incorrectly reported...right? Is there a way that a 27x26 inch fish can be 22 pounds?

Old 07-07-13, 01:00 AM   #2
Bassboss

Excellent point Billy. I'm sure it was investigated very thoroughly either way.

Either way that give me goose bumps just looking at it!
Old 07-07-13, 06:42 AM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yes there is just like Kobe beef,hand fed.
Never should have been allowed,at very least a catagory for places where it was imported.
That area or lake is a no stopping area way around that law to keep men from fishing is to have boat moving-always.Launch fees equal 1200 bucks to which his sponsor paid,
pretty much a corporate effort,to which one of later stories has him catching it on the sponsors bait lol.
Kinda figure igfa guys had some courting on and off court,just as in when a company wants a law passed here,senators get same ,free trips etc.
Should call it what it is PAYOFF.
Naturally if you accepted gratituities.If you had a rather large controlled environment ,hand fed the things,do you think they would accept your trolling record,using live bait the same live bait you had been feeding them.
I hear one of the seaworlds has one near any one wanna go pay fishing?
Lastly its a private lake not public,im climbing down now soap box is available.

Last edited by lilmule; 07-07-13 at 07:22 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 12:27 PM   #4
Tavery5

Lake Biwa is not a private lake, and in 2010 it cost about $30 dollars to launch a boat there. Manabu Kurita had no sponsors at the time of his catch.

The area he caught his fish at was a bridge that has three of the many pillars marked as do not stop, when the IGF questioned the Japanese authorities on the legality of fishing this area, they replied that it is legal, you may not anchor or tie off to the bridge but fishing the area is legal. The IGF awarded the record after this was investigated.

There are a lot of sites that have accurate and great information regarding this catch, and Bass Master magazine did a fantastic article in January of 2010.

Mule you should read these articles and verify your information.

WTL, there was a good discussion here a year or so ago.

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=30945

Last edited by Tavery5; 07-07-13 at 12:32 PM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 07:28 PM   #5
lilmule

Got tired of reading about it every article different including info,many of which was inaccurate kind of hard to verify since dont speak jap and every one different.
While I take your word its public and launch fee is 30 figure about same as 1200 to a peasant dunno maybe was a comparison.Dunno just dont think it belongs in as a record for an american species.
Read the one about Geoge Perrys fish it hasnt changed since day 1.I did get that info from articles,just misinformation and have read the bass master one all and every one different,so who or whom do you believe the first,second or the lastest misinformation.
My self do not believe Oswald acted alone,neither does a large part of the population of the usa,I watched the video in person,read part of the warren report -bull crap.
It is my opinion and mine only igfa should not have accepted it.

Last edited by lilmule; 07-07-13 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-07-13, 07:55 PM   #6
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Got tired of reading about it every article different including info,many of which was inaccurate kind of hard to verify since dont speak jap and every one different.
While I take your word its public and launch fee is 30 figure about same as 1200 to a peasant dunno maybe was a comparison.Dunno just dont think it belongs in as a record for an american species.
Read the one about Geoge Perrys fish it hasnt changed since day 1.I did get that info from articles,just misinformation and have read the bass master one all and every one different,so who or whom do you believe the first,second or the lastest misinformation.
My self do not believe Oswald acted alone,neither does a large part of the population of the usa,I watched the video in person,read part of the warren report -bull crap.
It is my opinion and mine only igfa should not have accepted it.

Not sure what articles you are reading, the ones I have read all seem to tell the same story. I will say that I did see one site that did mistakenly say that the fish was caught on a Roman Made Swimbait, the rest have been very much the same.
Old 07-07-13, 09:27 PM   #7
lilmule

Shute havnt read one in over a year as dont care,I read it on the internet has to be true,lol.
Some misinfo in part due to english speaking reporter and not his language im sure,but not something to dwell on.
Its out of its natural range,place one in a large aquarium or even a lake and fish for it years later.
Natural bait,swim bait,sponsors bait?????Hand fed even by someone else like net fishermen??
Just dont believe it has a place in the record books for an american species.Would be interesting to know if or what gene pools it had or if being over there actually effects that.Florida strain?
It has been introduced into a lot of countries,south africa, even italy,often lacking its natural predators,or even diseases.Ever hear of large mouth bass virus in japan?
Now if a japenese comes here,fishes here breaks the record more power to them.
Regardless of what or how its just my own belief it has no place in the record books

Last edited by lilmule; 07-07-13 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-07-13, 10:47 PM   #8
Tavery5

Bottom line is the IGF recognizes it as the largest bass ever caught, it's a record if we agree with it or not. If we used your criteria to determine record bass, any Florida strain bass that was not caught in Florida would not be considered.

The guy put a lot of time and effort into catching a world record fish, I for one am happy for him.
Old 07-08-13, 12:11 AM   #9
bamabassman

well i think the "fish" was BEEFED up so to speak. but hey, if the officials say it's legal...it's legal. ther IS a bigger bass out there, somewhere. maybe it's in the DEAD SEA? lol, i know, small joke. but in truth, legal or not, the fish and the guy are in the book.
Old 07-09-13, 02:16 PM   #10
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Lake Biwa is not a private lake, and in 2010 it cost about $30 dollars to launch a boat there. Manabu Kurita had no sponsors at the time of his catch.

The area he caught his fish at was a bridge that has three of the many pillars marked as do not stop, when the IGF questioned the Japanese authorities on the legality of fishing this area, they replied that it is legal, you may not anchor or tie off to the bridge but fishing the area is legal. The IGF awarded the record after this was investigated.

There are a lot of sites that have accurate and great information regarding this catch, and Bass Master magazine did a fantastic article in January of 2010.

Mule you should read these articles and verify your information.

WTL, there was a good discussion here a year or so ago.

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=30945
Thanks Tavery, I had forgotten about that thread.

I guess the only thing left is the question, what were the actual measurements of the Biwa bass that the IFGA used? Cause it looks waaay fatter that 26" girth.

I guess I am saying that there must have been a miscalculation reported in the press.

EDIT; I did find another, earlier article in BASS reporting that the Biwa bass was 29" with an unknown girth. Say it were 32 inches in girth, which is believable from the photo, the numbers would see to work better.

Last edited by WTL; 07-09-13 at 02:39 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-13, 11:07 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
well i think the "fish" was BEEFED up so to speak. but hey, if the officials say it's legal...it's legal. ther IS a bigger bass out there, somewhere. maybe it's in the DEAD SEA? lol, i know, small joke. but in truth, legal or not, the fish and the guy are in the book.
That bigger bass has been caught. A guy named Mac Weakley caught it in California-Lake Dixon if I remember correctly. Weighed 25-1. Problem was it was foul hooked so did not count. This is it:

Here is the "world record" Billy is referring to:
Old 07-14-13, 09:49 AM   #12
keithdog

This conversation has me thinking AGAIN about Indiana's record largemouth. I've been angry about it ever since it was caught. This was a bass caught from a PRIVATE pond by a gal who supposedly never fished a day in her life. The rod was rigged for her and then handed over to her to make a few cast, and the rest is history. If I remember right, she isn't even an Indiana resident. As you can tell, it always ticks me off when talking about it. Regardless, I don't believe ANY fish caught from a private body of water should ever be given record status. I believe for any fish to be recognized as a record, it must be caught in public waters where every fisherman/woman has an opportunity at that fish. Other wise, why not just built a one acre pond and stock it with bass and loadem up with food.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jenifer_schultz_fish_dayof.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	8842  

Last edited by keithdog; 07-14-13 at 09:19 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 08:03 PM   #13
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

never heard truer words Keith
Old 07-14-13, 09:38 PM   #14
WTL

I tend to disagree Keith. I think that your idea has its bearings right, but I could imagine such a per se rule causing problems, say, if a bass were caught from a large private reservoir...say 90 acres. The world record bluegill might be struck under this, as it was caught I believe, from a small private pond. Maybe there should be a limited rule saying that if a fish is caught in an unnatural state (a swimming pool, where it is hand fed nightcrawlers) that would be unrecognized, but nothing further than that.

Its all about drafting a rule that retains competitive fairness. After all, what happens if someone catches a WR trout on a stream that flows over private land in a state where public wading is prohibited? Do we really want to deny that record? Are landowners, sitting on their rights, really that disfavored?

As for the young lady, call it for what it is...beginners luck. It happens. I think the scotland record Atlantic salmon was also held by a lady in 1922. How many noble and high bred gents, both before and after have been upstaged by that feat!?

Last edited by WTL; 07-14-13 at 09:43 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-13, 06:42 AM   #15
lilmule

State of W.Va would not accept a crappie record from a private pay lake,yet years later did accept one from a private lake that charged a dollar to fish for largemouth bass.
As for me being off at 1200 launch fees lake biwa suspect that is a yearly fee cheaper than the 30 per day or whatever.We can buy a stamp etc good for all year on state or municipal ramps then no daily fee,suspect they can as well.
And while it is a public lake much of it is owned and or controlled by municipalities and or corporations,millions something like 14 cities get their water from it,and often fishing while legal is not a concern for them,and discouraged possibly(net fishermen).
Im sure igfa asked all the right questions,yet I can look back and see a blond jap pro on utube prior same one dunno,dont really care it was after all a mere tie,as not enough oz.
So long as the rules dont change for them and same rules are enforced that is what counts.
How much does california charge now to launch?Or boat lic yearly bet it is also high.
While I dont think a world record largie plies tn waters willing to bet a smallie does,and launch ramps are normally free.

Last edited by lilmule; 07-15-13 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-15-13, 12:13 PM   #16
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

IMHO, a record fish is a record fish. Doesn't matter to me where it's caught as long as it's able to swim free.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.